C-section Moms and ab workouts

Options
Has anyone had any luck with an abdominal program after a c-section? I had two. One regular and one long. I also had two giant babies, one weighing 9lbs 13 oz and the other was 11lbs 7oz. I also have a huge diastysis, aka big gap between my ab muscles. I need to loose this abdominal fat. I get super fatigued from the workouts I am doing and its not getting better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section in Aug. I waited my full 6 weeks or maybe even a few weeks longer until I started working out. Its hard at first and it took me a little while to get strength in my tummy muscles but its been almost 4 months and I can def tell! They still aren't as strong as they use to be but it is coming back..Just work up to it! It will get easier and better. We pretty much have to TOTALLY rebuild our muscles in our tummy! :) Keep it up though but if its hard or hurts I would stop..don't over do it ;)
  • aimeemcd
    Options
    You should work with a pilates or Gyrotonic trainer who is trained in postpartum work. You need to train your abdominals in a very specific way avoid injury and regain strength and feeling in that area.
    One on one focus with a professional in this specific area is really important to get you started!
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OOO and I can't believe you had an 11 pound baby lol thank GOD for C-sections ;)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. After my first, I actually got down to a good size, where I was comfortable in a swimsuit, and the tummy was pretty much gone (about 19% body fat). I'm having a much harder time after my second. I still have 10-12 lbs to lose before I'm at the same weight, and about 5% body fat to lose to be the same there too. I'm hoping that will get rid of it for me.

You'll probably want to focus on cardio to lose the fat, but include some core strength training (pilates or other ab workouts) to help the muscles underneath - especially those that were cut during the c-section. I used Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD after my first, and it was enough of both cardio and strength to do the trick. Give it a little time too... it took me about a year after the first to get to that point.

I've also heard that increasing omega 3's in your diet (or taking capsules) will help, and decreasing body fat to 12-15% will force your body to give up those last reserves of fat. On the flip side, it's sometimes genetic, and you may never completely get rid of it without a tummy tuck.

Hope this helps!

This is something I posted on another thread a while back. The 30 Day Shred DVD really is great. It's only 25 minutes, but still difficult enough to challenge you. The ab work is only 1 minute at a time, so you can focus on it and carefully build up those muscles.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this .....

http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-recti-test-what-works-and-what-to-avoid.html

something similar to this one helped my mate who had a wide gap and now has pretty impressive toned stomach.... http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/baby/Diastasis-recti-abdominal-separation-help--Exercises-for-a-flat-tummy-6447.htm

basaically search search search, read read read
  • knelson422
    Options
    Congrats on your babies!! I have had 5 c sections(last one in July), one v-back. I totally get that baby fat thing. It is frustrating. I started working out after 6 weeks, and just got so incredibly tired. It just wasn't time yet. My body was not ready for hard workouts. So, I stopped for a bit, started with MFP in Dec and set a fitness goal to run a 1/2 marathon in April. Just keeping track of what i eat has helped me tremendously. The pooch is starting to go. I also started doing workout DVD's, and I really LOVE the Jillian Michaels "No Trouble Zones". I am not there yet, but have lost 20 pounds, 25 more to go. Keep at it. Ask your OB what the best exercises are for you to do so that you don't injure yourself. You can do it. make sure you are giving yourself time to heal and your body to be strong. Babies take a lot out of you, but they are totally worth it.
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone who has had any complications from C sections out there? I was very fit post baby, and after 12 hours of back labour,an emergency c section,an internal hematoma and ostitus pubis, bed rest,weight resdtrictions,I have really struggled to try to get my body back!! Any successes overcoming any of these things?