HELP! Depression is starting to kick in!

Options
Hey all. My name is Bryan. I'm a 25 year old guy, I'm 5'9, and I weigh between 145-150 and I've been struggling with my weight all my life. As a kid I was always the "fat" one. In high school I was at my worst. Over 200 pounds. It got so bad that I ended up dropping out. Let's just say I don't have the best self esteem. Then I heard about this low carb diet. I did it. Lost 30 pounds very quickly, but then it stopped. For the past 6 or so years I've always watched my carb intake and kept my weight at at around 160. 4 months ago I decided I wanna tone up and loose that "softness" I decided to cut the calories which I never really payed much attention too and still kick back the carbs. Hit the elliptical daily and was making sure to burn at least 500 calories on it. Bam, lost weight! Then... It stopped. I went into panic mode and now for the past 2 months I've dropped my calories even more. Here's an outline of my day.

Wake up... Half hour on the elliptical before breakfast.
Breakfast. 4 egg white omelet with a string cheese, handful of baby carrots and 8 oz of broccoli.
Lunch. once again 4 egg white omelet with a string cheese, handful of baby carrots and 8 oz of broccoli.
I'm a chef, so at work I'll just snack on raw carrots and zucchini.
Dinner. Another 4 egg white omelet but this time no string cheese, but a handful of baby carrots and 8 oz of broccoli.
Weight training. One day I work on arms, back, and biceps. Lots of curls! Day two I work on chest, back and I do that ab ripper x. Lots of push-ups! Most of the time I'm working out between 45-60 minutes. That's usually 5 days a week. After my workout I make a 2 scoop whey protein shake along with another 4 egg white omelet with a handful of baby carrots and 8 oz of broccoli. That's my diet for 3 straight days. Comes out to around 1300 calories. I've just starting this calorie/carb shifting diet. So for those 3 days I stick to that diet. The next 2 days I add 2 fiber wraps, 2 apples, and strawberries. I up the calories by 500. Then after Those 2 "high" days I start back on the "low"

As much as I'm cutting back, and working out I'm just not seeing the results. I know I'm not obese, but these love handles, belly, and overall "softness" just isn't going away. I get 8 hours of sleep, drink at least a gallon of water a day, but yet... Nothing. I'm not sluggish really though out the day. I have energy and all. It's just got to the point where It's just really frustrating. Now I'm reading that maybe I'm not taking in enough calories, which is my diet mindset head just doesn't add up! To think I need to eat more to loose weight is something I can't get my head around. If anyone has any thoughts please please please give me your input! Why are those last 10 pounds to hard to get off?!

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    It looks to me like you're maybe not eating enough... Make sure you log EVERYTHING, and open up your food diary so we can see exactly what's in what you're eating & how much you're burning.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If I ate the same thing three times a day, everyday, I would be depressed, too! You are a chef, come up with some healthy delicious meals!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    1 ) I don't think you are eating enough.

2 ) If you are exercising, you need to eat MORE. And more protein.

I think you need to ditch the cardio and start some weight training!
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You need some muscle on your body to "tone up" and you are not gonna do that while eating at such a deficit. Do you work your legs? Check out Bodybuilding.com for some workout program ideas. Eat protein and "CARBS" and you will start to "tone up".
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You're 5'9" and 145 and want to lose more? Sounds like you're at your target weight. I wouldn't be panicking at the lack of weight loss.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions that might just change your life.

1 consume more calories- 1500-1700 a day, hell atleast your BMR!

2 lift weights. Strength training is what you NEED if your goal is to LOOK good. Quit that elliptical and get on a lifting program.

I believe you are the definition of skinny fat. A decent or even light weight, but a high amount of body fat. You need to gain muscle and cut FAT. Not pounds.

Weight means absolutely nothing!!! Track your body fat percentage instead. Trust me you'd be surprised how much better you look and feel with a body that is strong and getting enough nutrients.

I couldn't advocate these tips any more.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You're 5'9" and 145 and want to lose more? Sounds like you're at your target weight. I wouldn't be panicking at the lack of weight loss.

this
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I <3 trolls
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You want to lose weight? 5' 9" and around 150?? Seems you need to bulk up some muscle and not lose weight. Eat more protein, more calories and pump some iron.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I <3 trolls

ya...a verbose one at that
  • silvercat64
    Options
    I concur that you probably need to eat more. You can't build lean muscle if you're starving yourself!

According to the measurements you gave, your BMI is actually within the normal (not overweight) range. It sounds like your goal is building muscle mass and definition, so I question whether you should even bother worrying about "those last ten pounds". Just keep working out and focus on eating healthy--which includes eating enough calories to to fuel your workouts. (You can use MFP's food and exercise diaries to get an estimate of how much you need to eat for your routine.)

Good luck!
  • halfasandwich
    Options
    Is there a reason you eat such bland food? What's with the egg whites?
  • mattandresen
    Options
    Bryan,

It sounds like the problem is almost all mental. I usually weigh in at around 195 lbs and I am 5'10" I lift often and play a lot of basketball. 2 years ago I decided to test my will power. I switch from heavy lifting to crossfit exercises, did a lot of cardio and used the fuel and fire method. This is where you find out the calories you need to maintain your current weight. After you figure this, you confuse your metabolism. One day you eat 150% of your the calories you need to maintain and the next day you eat 75% of that. Your body fights to find a normal state so your metabolism can slow down, but with the fuel and fire method there isn't a normal state, so your metabolism speeds up. I create goals week by week, because a day isn't long enough to see a pattern and a month is too long and it is easy to get discouraged. I lost 40 pounds with this method, but eventually it became hard to lose weight because my body found the new normal and went into fat conservation mode. Just cardio alone can't really help you lose weight, weight lifting heavily supplements this effort. Crossfit is a good combination of cardio and weight lifting. Let me know what you think...
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my guess is you need to eat more.
  • kirstand
    Options
    :smile:
  • kirstand
    Options
    If I ate the same thing three times a day, everyday, I would be depressed, too! You are a chef, come up with some healthy delicious meals!
    i was thinking exactly the same thing
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hey all. My name is Bryan. I'm a 25 year old guy, I'm 5'9, and I weigh between 145-150 and I've been struggling with my weight all my life.

Uh, that's not unhealthy? Your top healthy weight range is 170lbs. You're WELL under that.

In fact this book will change your life if you want to bulk up. New Rules of Lifting

If you're not a troll I think you need to talk to someone. Your weight battles are all in your head now.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I <3 trolls

They are cute, aren't they?!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Dude eat more!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Get some *Happy Fats* in your diet Avocado, Olives, Olive oil, other plant based fats, and a variety of fish.

The purpose of getting in shape is to live a life you love... not to punish yourself.
    Your body is a vehicle that's got to get you through the rest of your life, make it strong so that you can do stuff.

I dunno being a chef do you think of food as work, is that why you don't incorporate variety into your own diet?
    I bet you'd never feed your guests that way...