Heart Rate Moniters

Options
I am wanting to get a HRM but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't really want/need all the bells and whistels just something to accuratly tell me my HR and the calories that I'm burning. I also don't want to spending a ton of money on it as I just don't have it.

So what I really want to know is what you all have, what you do or don't like about it, and do you recomend it or soemthing simmilar.

Replies

• SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A good starting HRM is the Polar FT7. It's what I have, and it's wonderful!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm testing out a New Balance Duo Sport right now. It's $50.00 Has a chest strap. It counts calories burned and fat burned (interesting feature) It seems to be doing the trick.
  • lonaneomaflame
    Options
    Are the chest straps comfertable?
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Very much so! I wear mine while weightlifting and most of the time I forget I'm even wearing it. It's more comfortable than a bra strap XD
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Are the chest straps comfertable?

Polar!

My chest strap is fine! I hardly notice it!
  • lonaneomaflame
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I hardly notice the chest strap when I exercise, if I even notice it at all. I love seeing how hard I'm working by using my HRM.

I read that the Polar FT4 is pretty decent too if you want to spend less money.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and a Garmin. I highly recommend Polar, very easy to use and comfortable.
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the PolarFT4 from bodytronics.com. I spent $58 bucks!!! I just recieved it today and I love it so far...!! Check out my pic!!!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 about 2 weeks ago and I like it so far. It's pretty easy to use and the chest strap is really comfortable. It was under $80 at heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Very much so! I wear mine while weightlifting and most of the time I forget I'm even wearing it. It's more comfortable than a bra strap XD

LOL!! Good I was wondering about that!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Polar.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I plan on purchasing the FT7 soon but I'm wondering if there is any functional difference between the men's/women's? Are they just different sizes? The women's are just so ugly I would prefer to buy men's if they aren't that huge :flowerforyou:
  • morkiemama
    Options
    I plan on purchasing the FT7 soon but I'm wondering if there is any functional difference between the men's/women's? Are they just different sizes? The women's are just so ugly I would prefer to buy men's if they aren't that huge :flowerforyou:

I'm not sure if buying a men's HRM changes the formula calculations inside the watch (there are different figures for men v. women). I would ask Polar just to be sure or see if it says anything on their website.
  • bmwgsa1
    bmwgsa1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track my workouts, so I got the Zephyr bluetooth HRM to go with it - so far works fine (at least for me).
    I use it walking, cycling, swinging the kettlebells, etc...
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4..pretty basic and easy to use. LOVE IT! by far the best investment I've made.(other than the gym) Helps me determine if I should eat less or more.. seems to be pretty accurate
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track my workouts, so I got the Zephyr bluetooth HRM to go with it - so far works fine (at least for me).
    I use it walking, cycling, swinging the kettlebells, etc...

From what I read Endomondo doesn't actually use your heart rate to determine calories burned. It just uses time and the type of workout that you enter.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    I am just online going to order the Polar FT4 heart monitor and it is $61.88 (includes shipping) from bodytronics.com - does anyone know if you need to use a special gel when you wear this??? It is asking if I want to buy a conductive gel- do I really need this??
  • morkiemama
    Options
    I am just online going to order the Polar FT4 heart monitor and it is $61.88 (includes shipping) from bodytronics.com - does anyone know if you need to use a special gel when you wear this??? It is asking if I want to buy a conductive gel- do I really need this??

Ummm if it is anything like the FT7 then all you have to do is wet the contact points with water before use. Check out the polar website to see the use instructions for the FT4.
  • lonaneomaflame
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, I plan on getting the FT7 tomorrow after the hubby gets paid. :) I'm really excited.