Gluten Free Super Bowl Ideas

Options
jatc2224
jatc2224 Posts: 6 Member
I have a son who has recently been put on a gluten free diet and I am following along with him. Now I need some ideas/recipes for healthy gluten free appetizers or snack foods for a Super Bowl Party. I appreciate any help or input you may have!

Replies

• silljantos
    Options
    I am going to make a slow cook spicy chicken and put them in lettuce wraps - you can use any garnish you want but its delicious and makes a great taco like meal!

Shredded Tex-Mex Crock-Pot Chicken (from tksinclair.com)
    Ingredients:
    Serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon coriander
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    1/3 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, chopped
    2 limes
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Directions:

Heat the oil in a medium sized sauté pan. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika and garlic and sauté two more minutes. Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth making sure to scrape up any browned bits. Turn off and set aside.

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to crock pot. Squeeze the lime on top, add the cilantro, jalapeno, and pour the onion and garlic mixture over top.

Cook on low for 3-5 hours, or until cooked through (different crock-pots cook at varying heats) and tender. Remove chicken breasts from the crock pot, shred and place in a bowl. Scoop out the onions and add to the chicken. Depending on the amount of juices produced, you may want to add some or all of the juice back to the shredded chicken.

For fast and easy Cycle 1 “tacos”, add this chicken to lettuce leaves with tomato, cilantro, red onion, and FF cheese (I like FF cheddar or feta best). Add a dollop of Non-fat yogurt (instead of sour cream) and salsa, too, if you like.

Kitchen Tip: To easily juice the lime, heat in the microwave for a few seconds and then roll it on the counter top a few times like you are kneading it. Then slice in half and squeeze. Or use a hand juicer.

Recipe Note: You could also prepare this recipe in a pressure cooker. Cook for about 12 minutes on high pressure.

16008547.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KLK1986
    KLK1986 Posts: 89
    Options
    All-corn tortilla chips and guacamole or salsa!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The book "Cooking for Isahia". LUV it. and it has great recipes to make chicken fingers, shrimp etc etc...

We are doing a chili cookoff. So I will eat my chili. I luv anything to wrap in lettuce. SO you can make little lettuce boats. Use chicken salad, shrimp mixed with mango salsa etc etc..
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was planning on using this website for guidance, myself! It has lots of fun ideas:

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/appetizerssnacksand/tp/glutenfreesuperbowlrecipes.htm
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My dad has celiac disease, so I know lots of snacky Superbowl-worthy gluten-free ideas!

Hot cheesy corn dip with Tostitos
    Black Bean Salsa with Tostitos
    Cocktail Meatballs made with rice crumbs, simmered in BBQ sauce
    Cheese and GF Crackers
    Cookie Bars made with layers of an arrowroot crust, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips. coconut and pecans.
    Cocktail Shrimp
    Chicken Sate with Peanut Dipping Sauce
    Buy an Udi's brand pre-made pizza crust and make pizza!
    Cut up veggies with homemade ranch or French onion dip
    Chili
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Cheddar Quesadilla Recipe

1 tablespoon light olive oil
    4 corn tortillas
    1/2 cup cooked spinach, drained well (or use fresh baby spinach leaves)
    6-8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
    Dash nutmeg or Old Bay Seasoning
    4 oz. cheddar, sliced thin (or vegan non-dairy cheese)

Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with a dash of olive oil.

Lay two of the tortillas on the hot griddle.

Cover each tortilla with a spinach layer. Add the tomatoes. Season with nutmeg or Old Bay Seasoning.

Layer with slices of cheddar.

Top each with another tortilla and press down with a spatula.

Cook for a minute or two and carefully flip the quesadillas using a broad flat spatula.

Press down a bit and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are turning golden.

Makes two quesadillas

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2005/12/spinach-cheddar-quesadilla.html#ixzz1kWZkQ2vn
  • peachprl
    Options
    This is also one of my fav sites. I'm not sure if any of this will appeal to you or your son for the super bowl, but there are a lot of options (the link is for the GF recipes) and it is sectioned off into appetizers, etc. with all of the nutrition info, etc. Maybe you can find something!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-gluten-free-recipes.html
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    Celery or baby carrots with almond butter for dipping. Barbecue chicken wings. One of those big fruit platters from the grocery. Nuts. Raisins. Dates. Uh. . . roll-ups made of deli meats and cream cheese? Bell pepper strips.
  • peachprl
    Options
    One of my favorites:

Carmelized onion dip (my non-GF friends even request it):

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 large yellow onions (about 1 1/2 pounds), finely chopped
    3/4 cup sour cream (low-fat is fine if you like)
    3/4 cup Greek yogurt (low-fat is fine if you like)
    3 teaspoons dehydrated onion powder/granulates (salt-free, natural)
    very scant 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large thick-bottomed skillet over medium heat saute the chopped onions in the olive oil along with a couple pinches of salt. Stir occasionally with a wood or metal spatula and cook until the onions are deeply golden, brown, and caramelized - roughly 40 or 50 minutes (see photo). Set aside and let cool.

In the meantime, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, onion powder, and salt. The important thing is to add whatever onion powder you are using to taste. Add a bit at a time until it tastes really good. Set aside until the caramelized onions have cooled to room temperature. Stir in 2/3 of the caramelized onions, scoop into a serving bowl, and top with the remaining onions. I think this dip is best at room temperature.

Makes about 2 cups.
  • kswift85
    kswift85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My daughter has celiacs so im always looking for new ideas...cant wait to try some of these:smile:
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well it is not exactly healthy but Puppy Chow is always yummy!! Also you can make flour less peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kiss in the middle. Tostitos chips and salsa, or nachos using tostitos.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BLT bites!

Mix some mayo, fresh parsley and crumbled bacon and stuff into hollowed out cherry tomatoes.
  • allaboutfamily
    allaboutfamily Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great ideas!
  • anniesmiles1122
    Options
    I am currently working on gluten free and I am going to serve rice crackers with a wonderful cheese, stuffed tomatoes, and I know this is weird but silver dollar pancakes (homemoade recipe that yummy) with a strawberry banana sauce. OK I just put on 3 lbs.
  • jatc2224
    Options
    WOW!!! Thanks for the responses - I will definitely go through them all. Thanks so much!
  • JJohns611
    Options
    Hi!
    My son and has been gluten free for 3 years. This intolerance runs in the family. I have a ton of recipes. I was about to give you kid recipes and then thought...you are inquiring about super bowl snacks. Do you have a gluten free cook book?
    I have recipes for gf mini pizzas, gf fiesta quesidiallas, gf snack sandwhiches, a romaine tacos(very healthy), gf pigs in the blanket, sushi rolls are great, gf mini mufffins that you can decorate for they team you want to win, gf brownies, gf cobbler, gf trail mix???
    If any of these sounds interesting ...let me know and I will send any one or several over!!!!

Happy Hunting!!!

j
  • jatc2224
    Options
    Hi!
    My son and has been gluten free for 3 years. This intolerance runs in the family. I have a ton of recipes. I was about to give you kid recipes and then thought...you are inquiring about super bowl snacks. Do you have a gluten free cook book?
    I have recipes for gf mini pizzas, gf fiesta quesidiallas, gf snack sandwhiches, a romaine tacos(very healthy), gf pigs in the blanket, sushi rolls are great, gf mini mufffins that you can decorate for they team you want to win, gf brownies, gf cobbler, gf trail mix???
    If any of these sounds interesting ...let me know and I will send any one or several over!!!!

Happy Hunting!!!

j

Thanks so much! To be honest, I would appreciate anything you would be willing to give - kid recipes and all!
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    great ideas thanks!!!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump