Stationary bike question

Here's my question:

I have been using the stationary bike at the gym and have been tracking it as "bicycling 10-12 mph" etc...based on the time/speed I was riding. Is it ok to track this way or should I be using the "stationary bike" as listed in the drop down exercise menu? Is there a diffrence?

I figured the way I have been tracking it would be more accurate based on the mph and time as tracked on the bike vs stationary bike - light (or what ever it says).

Thoughts?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I'd go distance just because I bike ride outside when it's not FREEZING COLD - :grumble:

I like doing what I am used to.
  • I've been using that "bicycling 10-12 mph" because the minutes and calories burned agree closely with what the stationary bike says. If you are on a bike with a digital output, I would just use the calories it says, but I suspect you are on a bike without that, so as long as you are pushing yourself pretty hard and working up a sweat, that "10-12 mph" entry should be pretty close.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    I ride a stationary bike and I log it as stationary just to be more precise. I know that the calories burned are the same on my bike as well as MFP, so its pretty accurate.
  • I would use stationary bike, only because UNlike riding a bike, your stationary bike isnt going up and down hill, diff teraine.
  • I calculate my mileage based on the distance it states I go. For example today, I went 4 miles in 15 minutes in the first set and 4 miles in 15 minutes in the second set or 8 miles in 30 minutes. This would mean 16 miles per hour. I hope that helps.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    how do you convert rpm (rotations) to mph (miles)?
  • Anytime you're riding stationary you are riding without wind which is a huge factor in cycling. It is a constant factor when you ride outside which is why it is far easier to reach speeds inside than outside. So you need to account for that in your calorie burn estimates. I am a cyclist and believe me when I say you need to account for the wind and/or lack of it.