Another "how many calories per day" question..

Options
So, at a friends advice (thinking my calorie goal set by MFP might be a bit high) I did the 24 hour HRM test. I came out with 3,380 calories. I did my normal day off (didn't work or workout). Nothing too strenuous. My mfp goal is 2,030. So here comes my questions.

1: By this number I should be able to consume up to 2,380 calories for a 2 pound loss per week. Right?

2: I am 99% of the time (atleast 6 out if 7 days) below my 2,030 goal. Why ain't I dropping 3+ pounds a week.

3: Should I raise my goal to reflect the 3,380 a day?

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Check your BMR (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) and make sure you don't go bellow it.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That says 1,849.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The BMR you originally listed seems very high. 1,849 seems accurate (mine is around 1550), so you are actually probably eating too many calories if you are not also working out. Best of luck!
  • SevenisHeaven
    Options
    But isn't a HRM more accurate than just an online calculator?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't made to be worn for 24 hours to calculate calories burned. You need a bodybugg or fitbit for that so no, I wouldn't go by those numbers. I would just trust mfp's numbers and see where that takes you after 3-4 weeks and adjust as necessary.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above, my understanding is that an HRM isn't going to give you an accurate 24 hour calorie burn.
    In fact, I agree with Glassy - try MFP's numbers for a month, then you will know what works for you - none of this is an exact science, you have to experiment for a decent length of time to know what works for hyou.
    And remember that while an HRM is a nice tool, it is still only making an estimate as to your calories burnt, it isn't an absolute.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    also - (even if it was correct) the HRM number isnt your BMR - that would be your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - the amount of calories you use in day to day living.
    BMR is the amount of calories your body would need each day if you were in a coma
  • SevenisHeaven
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!