This might not be an NSV to you....

Options
But to me and my hubby, it surely is!!!

My husband is Grade A, picky eater #1. The man wouldn't eat Quiche, but when I asked him if he wanted Egg Pie, he was all over it. He has so many food quirks that he got from his mother's cooking that just irritate the crap out of me. In all honesty, his mother is NOT a good cook, and I'm not afraid to say it. She can't even make the Bisquick drop biscuits correctly. So, he was "emotionally scarred" from that time period of his life. He decided from that point on, convenience foods was his only lifeline, and it caused him to get to 369 pounds.

When I made the Skinny Taste Taco Chili, he ate 2 servings, and debated on the 3rd. When he looked in the trash and found that I had used black beans (like the recipe called for, and you could plainly see in the chili), he was shocked, because he HATES beans, and decided to make a container of it for lunch the next day. I also ended up making the same chili for a few guys at his work on a Saturday that he worked, and I got a phone call of all the guys on speakerphone LOVING it.

He's changed his old diet, and has been eating a diet that's worked SO WELL for him. A typical day includes:

Breakfast: Atkins shake
Snack: 100 calorie snack pack (or two, depending on his hunger level by then)
Lunch: The lighter lunchable with Turkey/American, tiny rice krispy treat, and mandarin oranges
Snack: Greek yogurt (and possibly the other 100 calorie pack if it's not eaten)
Dinner: Healthy Choice frozen meal (which was replacing his former choice of 2 Banquet Salisbury Steak meals... thank God those are gone!)
Optional dessert at night: bowl of Special K Chocolately Delight (a box can last him sometimes two weeks. He doesn't get the sweet tooth craving often)

Following this diet since May has him down 69 pounds!!! I'm so proud of him!!!!

Well, I've made a makeshift cookbook of recipes that I've printed off, tried, and loved. It's just a binder with a couple of refill sheets that I've added in. I even decorated it (because I'm cheesy that way), and when I try a recipe from it, and it's successful, I rotate that sheet to the back of the book. The front of the book is the recipes that I haven't tried yet, but are on the list.

Mr. Picky Eater was caught the other day going through it, and he was saying that he can't wait to try some of the recipes that were coming up, like the Skinny Salisbury Steak and the Asian Steak Skewers. I said, "you know, they contain ingredients you don't normally like, right?" His reply, "Well, I'm eating healthier, and I don't mind it so much. I never realized how good those ingredients can turn simple things. Plus, everything you've made from that Skinny Taste website is REALLLLLY good."

SUCCESS!!!!

Replies

• hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ha! Education is the key to everything, that sounds like a MAJOR NSV to me, Congrats to you both :)

Russ
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Excellent! He is very lucky to have someone like you that cares so much! Way to go :)
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

Great efforts on your part, too.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    that sure would be a major nsv in my household!
    MAJOR congrats!!!! to you both *S*
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    you inspire me to not give up on my picky eater of a boyfriend! he won't eat anything that has green in it and hardly any veggies. barely eats fruit. he won't even kiss me after i eat salad until i brush my teeth :ohwell: it's quite silly i know. it's frustrating when i have to make dinner every night for me AND him that he will eat as well. now i know not to give up and try to "hide" the healthy even more! :flowerforyou:
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So - I have to wait HOW long for my (super) picky son to start eating more than the 10 things he eats now??? Lord give me strength! His daddy eats everything...

Congratulations for being such a super wife - your love and patience have paid off!

HUGE NSV!!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    The proof is in the puddin. Keep making them and he will keep eating them. Congratulations to you. :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So - I have to wait HOW long for my (super) picky son to start eating more than the 10 things he eats now??? Lord give me strength! His daddy eats everything...

Congratulations for being such a super wife - your love and patience have paid off!

HUGE NSV!!!

LMAO....I guess I shouldn't tell you we've been together for 7 years.... and it only took 6 years for him to let me screw with this mind like that!! LOL!!! Those things he eats... can they be made healthier? Like instead of store bought chicken nuggets, make them at home with chicken tenders, panko, and egg whites? I've found that the old saying IS true: get kids involved in the kitchen, and they're more apt to eating their creations. When I watch my neighbor girls, we like to make pizzas, but we use pitas or tortillas, low sodium pizza sauce, and turkey pepperoni, and they love the different color veggies I prep, like the red onion, yellow pepper, parsley (for green), and they don't realize that I make them use fat free mozzarella cheese. We have a blast doing that!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the kind words!!!! I am the proudest wife, especially when my husband says he's eaten foods that people know he doesn't like!!!

And he's really proud of himself because he always whips out his drivers license (renewed last January), and you can see all the weight he's lost in his face and neck.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love this story!! SO awesome! :bigsmile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and so is your husband!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!