Restless Leg Syndrome

Options
Anyone else out there suffer from RLS? I've been dealing with it for over a year and up until 2 two weeks ago, I had it under control. I take iron supplements every day and that had been enough to stop the RLS. However, the RLS has come back and while it isn't as severe as it was, it is more constant. It's now a nightly thing and is really starting to bother me. It's affecting my sleep.

It acted up a few weeks ago, but I added magnesium supplements to my regimen and that helped for a bit. I don't know what else to do now. I'm taking two asprin every night again, but I don't want to keep doing that.

My doc suggested Parkinson's meds as a last resort, but I don't want to mess with those (those are some serious drugs). She had me on valium for a bit, but she doesn't want me to rely on it as an everyday med (and neither do I).

Any suggestions??

Replies

• tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with RLS, but before I started on MFP I was being treated for sleep problems related to anxiety and I definitely had the symptom of restless legs. Since then, I have lost 40 pounds, started working out 6 days a week, stopped taking the anxiety medication, and started sleeping well! Here are a few things I found helpful when I was in the midst of anxiety/restless legs/little sleep:

-yoga or stretching in the evening
    -relaxation techniques (google "progressive relaxation techniques")
    -epsom salt baths in the evening
    -wheat bags or heating pads on legs at bedtime
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've never really talked to a doctor about it, but I have suffered with restless legs (and sometimes arms) for a long time. It seems to me if I go to bed earlier in the evening, I don't have too many problems. But if I go to bed too late, that's when I seem to have the most trouble. I have to either get up and move around a little bit or take some sort of pain reliever.

Never heard of taking iron supplements.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from RLS for a few years now. It comes and goes and I can't link anything specific to it. It got so bad last year that I finally broke down and went to the doctors because I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours a night. The doctor prescribed some medication for it but my insurance company wouldn't cover it because they said it was such a highly addictive mediation. But my mother did something for her RLS and SWEARS by it. She sleeps with an unwrapped bar of Ivory soap between the sheets down by her feet......she had heard something on some doctor show about it and tried it....said it worked immediately. If she is fibbing.....at least her feet smell good!! hahahahaha

I am currently not having any issues but when it flares up again, I am gonna try it!
  • Indygirl6
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RLS about six months ago and I was NOT happy about it! The thought of being on medication the rest of my life kind of pissed me off. I have tried to not take my medication and I am miserable. My pain was mainly in my legs - a nagging pain that felt like your muscles or bones (mine is deep leg pains that sometimes feel like its in my bones) needed to be flexed, kneaded, or pounded on, to help the pain. Nothing REALLY helped besides Pramipexole (the Parkinson's medication) and I just have to deal with taking it every night before bed. I was active and still noticed the pain coming and going, it wasn't just when I was still, like some people experience. I have tried the bar of soap and it did not have any affect for my RLS. I also take Magnesium and iron. I hate having to take this drug, but for me, I didn't seem to have a choice. No side effects and no more pain! I can finally sleep and not constantly be moving all night long!
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As someone who take a daily medication anyways, I don't have any problem taking something else to help my RLS. I just want to find the right thing to take! =)
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with RLS, but before I started on MFP I was being treated for sleep problems related to anxiety and I definitely had the symptom of restless legs. Since then, I have lost 40 pounds, started working out 6 days a week, stopped taking the anxiety medication, and started sleeping well! Here are a few things I found helpful when I was in the midst of anxiety/restless legs/little sleep:

-yoga or stretching in the evening
    -relaxation techniques (google "progressive relaxation techniques")
    -epsom salt baths in the evening
    -wheat bags or heating pads on legs at bedtime

Thank you for this advice. :happy:
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Holy restless legs.. I have no good advice to offer but I'm 25 and have suffered with this for as long as I can remember.. I try to run as often as possible, and stretch before bed. I find that I do well by reading before falling asleep.. the distraction is just enough that I tend to tire and fall asleep quickly.. Good luck friend! :)
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes I have it, but has been under control several months now. Magnesium supplements, heavy weights, nutrient dense food (lots of raw fruit and veggies in my case), and hot baths helped me.
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to read these posts. Whenever I am exhausted and really need to go to bed, that's when I can't keep my legs still.
    My legs aren't in any pain, but I have this obnoxious sensation and I must move them to make it stop....but it only stops temporarily and I feel it again. Once I go to sleep it doesn't bother me anymore.
    Hubby and I were driving one night from Alabama to Georgia and I couldn't take the drive so we had to rent a room and stay the night.

I've never asked my Dr. about it because it's only at night and seems to stop when I go to sleep. I don't want to be put on meds if I can avoid it.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Magnesium helps a lot for me

Nature calm by dr Peter or something
  • True2This
    Options
    Have been dealing with RLS for some time now. Sleeping with a body pillow between my legs is the only thing that seems to relax me. No meds so its worth a try.
  • mzjstef
    mzjstef Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have had RLS for years. I take 2 ibuprofen for it and it helps. I have also heard about the Ivory soap idea from my best friend's mom.Hmmm...worth a try I guess! RLS is soooo frustrating!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    this sounds like me too. Started talking a multi vitamin and calcium seems to have helped with the leg pain. Lots of stretching too. Just added Yoga to my weekly routine-hate it but my muscles love it.
  • mariamikulich
    Options
    After going through a sleep study, I was diagnosed with RLS several years ago and took that drug for Parkinson's for a while. it really didn't work for me so I went off the drug and have been coping with the syndrome ever since. I do a lot of bicycling in the summer and have logged 3,500 miles, so the worst time for me is at bedtime. I just can't seem to stay still, my muscles in my legs are jerking around still wanting to ride bike. I wish I could give you more advice on how to overcome this syndrome but I don't think there is any real answer. Maybe the magnesium will work for some, but it has not worked for me. I was an ambien cr for a while and that was the only thing that worked for me, but it bothered me that I was so reliant on it, and I stopped taking that also. I heard that acupuncture may help. Good luck. It has been 5 yrs and I am still trying to figure out what to do.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    I've suffered from a mild case of this for years. I find doing a few things helps calm doing the gittery, jumpy legs.

--A hot shower or hot bath. I massage my legs in the shower and I also "punch" the back of my legs. It helps get the blood flowing.

--Sounds crazy but using a rolling pin up and down the back of my legs really helps. It hurts like a ****ens but I find that this deep tissue massage pressure really works.
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Having had RLS for over 15 years, the past 3 years I have been symptom FREE! I had it before it was officially named. It was agonizing and had nerve pain attacks every night. Nothing helped. Doctor was recommending drugs and such...but i could not go there...didn't want to go there.

One day, I stopped drinking soda. All soda and carbonated drinks. I was a Dr. Pepper fiend! My habit was 3-4 Big Gulps a day...sometimes more, never less. Within 3 days of stopping the soda, the RLS went away. I was so shocked that I could sleep through the night without the nerve pain. Anytime I slipped off the wagon and had a soda, that night the RLS was back.

If I stay away from all carbonated drinks, I don't have RLS. I can't believe I lived all those years with the nerve pain. Never again. Getting off soda was a b%^&#, but so worth it. Just keep caffeine pills around. Your body will go through sugar withdraws. Soda is the worst type of drug out there.

Jillian

15449148.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'd been having RLS for years without even knowing it had a name. And even then (and now), online literature seems to point to Caucasians suffering from it more than Asians. That, I believe, is inaccurate. I am an Asian of Chinese descent and I spoke to my family members about it. Apparently, RLS is a known "ailment" in Chinese medicine. I admit neither myself nor my family members are experts on this, but when generations of your elders (mom, grandma, great grandaunts etc) know what it is, you sit up and listen.

It seems that RLS is an inbalance in the heat/ cooling (ying and yang if you like) in the food you consume and largely, it also comes from the lack of post-partum care a woman gets within the month or two after giving birth. All who believe in this reasoning say that RLS symptoms will surface if one consumes too much "cooling" foods, such as white veges (cabbage, lettuce etc) and citrus fruits (oranges). I have tried to observe when my symptoms arose and have noted that there could be some truth to that claim.

As for post-partum care, the Chinese believe that foods should be pretty "heaty" immediately after giving birth (everyday meals comprises of gingery recipes, including ginger wines and sesame oil stir fries) for at least one month. They also believe that one should completely keep the limbs warm by wrapping them in clothing/ socks and the new mother should abstain from taking showers (yucks) unless these showers are taken with water boiled with specific "wind" expelling herbs. In fact, that is what the Chinese call RLS: wind in the legs or limbs.

Sometimes expelling of this "wind" may also involve accupressure massages and soaking the affected limb in warm lemongrass tea. I tried that and those two worked pretty well. In fact, I have also tried sewing up a cloth bag filled loosely with some legume/ small beans/ rice (bag's about the size and length of two long envelopes), nuked that in the microwave for 1 minute and wrapped it around the affected limb for my grandmother (who suffers from it as well). She told me it eases the pain.

So, for all the sufferers out there, I hope this helped. Apologies if I didn't make sense from a western medicine perspective.