HRM accuracy

Options

Replies

• HealthyIn09
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic on this, but saw this one!

I have a Polar F6 which I love, but for some reason I'm thinking it's not calculating my calories burned correctly. For example, I have the EA Active for the Wii and it says I should have burned around 200 calories in my work out today, but my Polar said I burned over 500! That's a HUGE leap. And when I input things into MFP or any other exercise journal the number of calories it says I should have burned are way lower than what my hrm is reading.

I was messing around with the settings and I saw something called a V02Max. After some research I found out that is what determines how many calories you've burned. The manual isn't very helpful and just says to leave it as is unless you get your V02 actually tested.

Does anybody have this problem at all? Do you just take the number the HRM gives you?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have this problem at all? Do you just take the number the HRM gives you?
    If your heart rate is high when you exercise, you are burning more calories than average. Some people do... someone has to be above average. :laugh:

I find my HRM says I burn more calories running than MFP, my Nike+ and any other source, but less calories doing everything else. My cardiac health is excellent and I do tend to have a low heart rate during everything, but running, so that makes sense. Plus, someone has to be below average, right?

A good HRM should be more accurate than anything that doesn't use your HR. But even a good HRM is only about 90% accurate. So that's why I always chop off some of the calories it says I'm burning when I enter them into MFP.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you really should put in accurate VO2max numbers to get the right numbers, I asked polar about this, they say it's about 90% accurate without VO2max numbers, but about 98% accurate with.

you can go here to do an at home VO2max test:

http://www.calculatorslive.com/VO2-Max-Calculator.aspx

it's not really all that accurate, but it's accurate enough to get you close. Otherwise the HRM is going to use the average numbers for someone your age weight and height, which can be waaaaaay off.

If you REALLY want to know, ask your local gym or personal trainer where you can go to get one. They do real ones at labs and colleges sometimes.

Oh also, depending on which model HRM you have, some companies don't take out resting HR from the calories burned. For example Polar doesn't. So when I do my 45 minute run, I have to subtract about 80 calories from the total. Be aware of that. You want the total EXTRA calories you burn in for MFP, not the TOTAL calories burned. MFP already factors the resting calories in.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Oh also, depending on which model HRM you have, some companies don't take out resting HR from the calories burned. For example Polar doesn't. So when I do my 45 minute run, I have to subtract about 80 calories from the total. Be aware of that. You want the total EXTRA calories you burn in for MFP, not the TOTAL calories burned. MFP already factors the resting calories in.

So you finally did get a response back from them? I remember you were having a hell of a time getting through their tech support.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

So you finally did get a response back from them? I remember you were having a hell of a time getting through their tech support.

well, for that one, they responded rather quick, it was for other stuff that they wouldn't talk. Specifically their formula for calculating calories.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

I have Polar, and unlike other's experiences, mine shows very few calories.
    I think I am working like a mule, and I barely burning 200 cals according to that unfeeling device! :laugh:
    If I have to take 80 out on the top of that - I might as well not eat at all (just kidding):blushing: :bigsmile:

So, my question: can you enter your VO2 into Polar?
    I don't remember seeing that option.
    There are "OwnZone" thingy there, pretty obscure, but that I remember...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

I think I am working like a mule, and I barely burning 200 cals according to that unfeeling device! :laugh:
    If I have to take 80 out on the top of that - I might as well not eat at all (just kidding):blushing: :bigsmile:

you sure can, it's different for each model where though, for my F6 I think it's in advanced settings or something, I'm a visual guy, I'd have to pull it out and walk through it to know for sure. Ownzone is for setting your heartrate max and min when working, it beeps when you fall out of the zone.

200 calories huh? what's your average heart rate for that stuff, and how long are we talking about there. cuz, 200 could be spot on.

For instance, for me, I could walk for 2 hours and probably not burn 200 cals, cuz I run a lot, and walking doesn't really up my heart rate any more (only by a few percentage points, I rarely get out of the high 40% range when I walk (even fast), but when I run hard, I get up into the 80's, and that's when I can burn a good 550 calories for a 45 minute run. Course nothing beats my HIIT training (1 hour is about 1000 cals or so, see my blog if you'd like to know more. :devil: I'm a shameless self promoter)
  • vwise
    vwise Posts: 12
    Options
    Once you know your VO2 max (which means the maximum ammount of oxygen entering your body per kilagram of bodyweight.) your HRM will be much more accurate. SHboss is axactly right. Now when you buy your next polar you will also have a option for Zone percentages. Make sure you put in your percentages to make it even more accurate. The usual is Zone 1 52%, Zone 2 58%, Zone 3 75% Zone 4 is 83% and Zone 5 92%
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have the same one and mine does the same exact thing. Apparently all of them do it (according to everyone's posts..geesh). It's such a pain when I'm in the middle of a workout and it jumps to 200 something and then BOOM right to zero...

I always wet it and wear it really really tight too. I wash it off afterwards...and it still does it. I mean it's not all the time, just every once in awhile...but when I'm exercising, I'm constantly looking at it just to make sure it's reading the right HR.

:ohwell:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

Ok so I was playing with my f-6 trying to figure it out since this thread got me wondering.....I found it under user settings. It was set to 18.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

Ok so I was playing with my f-6 trying to figure it out since this thread got me wondering.....I found it under user settings. It was set to 18.

ok now see, for someone your age, it should be somewhere around 30, 18 is for like a 75 year old woman with emphysema. If you are in decent shape it should actually be closer to 35 then 30. I would google VO2max tests, you can do one at home (It's usually like a 10 ro 15 minute hard walk or run) and get within 10% of your actual VO2max
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Here is a site that might help. It gives different ways to test your VO2 max at home.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    so mine was set to 30. this would mean it has been calculating more calories than is true??:sad:

I reset it to 25 as I can do 1 mile in 12-15 minutes or 1650 meters. Right?

OMG....to much info....does not compute!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

you sure can, it's different for each model where though, for my F6 I think it's in advanced settings or something, I'm a visual guy, I'd have to pull it out and walk through it to know for sure. Ownzone is for setting your heartrate max and min when working, it beeps when you fall out of the zone.

200 calories huh? what's your average heart rate for that stuff, and how long are we talking about there. cuz, 200 could be spot on.

For instance, for me, I could walk for 2 hours and probably not burn 200 cals, cuz I run a lot, and walking doesn't really up my heart rate any more (only by a few percentage points, I rarely get out of the high 40% range when I walk (even fast), but when I run hard, I get up into the 80's, and that's when I can burn a good 550 calories for a 45 minute run. Course nothing beats my HIIT training (1 hour is about 1000 cals or so, see my blog if you'd like to know more. :devil: I'm a shameless self promoter)

Walking does squat for me also.
    I used to run a lot, I strangely gain weight when I do long distance.
    I am trying to run intervals too, the preset Polar intervals setting are very limiting, especially the lower HR, I will try to tweak that. my heart rate goes quickly inot 140+ but to get it back to 120 for the slow part I have to walk!
    I want to burn more fat, so would like to run intervals, but need a better setup.
    Where is your blog?
    I'd love to read it!

I really need to figure out VO2 because it says I need to 1800 during P90X, and I can't eat that much. I am very curious. Will do so over the weekend! Something like arms& shoulder shows that I burn 180-200, I use bands instead of pull-up bar. I guess it is fair...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    so mine was set to 30. this would mean it has been calculating more calories than is true??:sad:

I reset it to 25 as I can do 1 mile in 12-15 minutes or 1650 meters. Right?

OMG....to much info....does not compute!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

no I imagine 30 would be at least right for you, you're in decent shape. But do one of the at home tests, and you'll get a much better answer.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

Walking does squat for me also.
    I used to run a lot, I strangely gain weight when I do long distance.
    I am trying to run intervals too, the preset Polar intervals setting are very limiting, especially the lower HR, I will try to tweak that. my heart rate goes quickly inot 140+ but to get it back to 120 for the slow part I have to walk!
    I want to burn more fat, so would like to run intervals, but need a better setup.
    Where is your blog?
    I'd love to read it!

I really need to figure out VO2 because it says I need to 1800 during P90X, and I can't eat that much. I am very curious. Will do so over the weekend! Something like arms& shoulder shows that I burn 180-200, I use bands instead of pull-up bar. I guess it is fair...

blog is at

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shboss1673
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    you really should put in accurate VO2max numbers to get the right numbers, I asked polar about this, they say it's about 90% accurate without VO2max numbers, but about 98% accurate with.

you can go here to do an at home VO2max test:

http://www.calculatorslive.com/VO2-Max-Calculator.aspx

it's not really all that accurate, but it's accurate enough to get you close. Otherwise the HRM is going to use the average numbers for someone your age weight and height, which can be waaaaaay off.

If you REALLY want to know, ask your local gym or personal trainer where you can go to get one. They do real ones at labs and colleges sometimes.

Jeez, what a buzzkill! And I thought I was doing so good when my F6 said I'd burned 550 calories!! Sometimes having all the facts sucks! :laugh: :laugh:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

ok now see, for someone your age, it should be somewhere around 30, 18 is for like a 75 year old woman with emphysema. If you are in decent shape it should actually be closer to 35 then 30. I would google VO2max tests, you can do one at home (It's usually like a 10 ro 15 minute hard walk or run) and get within 10% of your actual VO2max

I used the chart on the site you posted and decided to set it at 30 before I saw your last post (above). cant wait to work out today and see what the difference is. Why would Polar use 18 and their default setting?! How many 75yo with emphysema are in their normal demographic?! :laugh: anyone else have an F6 that came set so low?
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My new F7 was set at 23 after I put my data in. It up'ed itself to 24 this week :huh: so I don't know if it is right. I am pretty out of shape to begin with, so I think it is ok. I will probably try one of the tests.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic on this, but saw this one!

I have a Polar F6 which I love, but for some reason I'm thinking it's not calculating my calories burned correctly. For example, I have the EA Active for the Wii and it says I should have burned around 200 calories in my work out today, but my Polar said I burned over 500! That's a HUGE leap. And when I input things into MFP or any other exercise journal the number of calories it says I should have burned are way lower than what my hrm is reading.

I was messing around with the settings and I saw something called a V02Max. After some research I found out that is what determines how many calories you've burned. The manual isn't very helpful and just says to leave it as is unless you get your V02 actually tested.

Generic numbers are rarely accurate for anyone. I burn about twice what the machines at the gym say and MFP, because I'm larger, Small people burn about half the cals. So it's easily within reason that your calories burned can be twice or half of what the website or another machine says, and the HRM will be more accurate.