need advice, work 6am-8pm

Options
Hi, So I'm very new to this, but I really need to lose weight. I'm in graduate school and leave the house at 6am and don't return until 8pm. The rest of the night is usually spent doing homework or preparing the classes I have to teach. I have been managing to hit the gym two or three times per week, but I can't get there until 8pm and it closes at 9. Does anyone have any advice for a type of workout that I can do? I feel so stuck to the elliptical. I use the weights like once a week.

Needless to say, my working schedules has left me with very bad eating habits as well, so all around it's a mess.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or anyone available to offer any advice?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Try to do interval workouts. They are very effective for short amount of times. You could also do workout videos at home, like Jillian's 30 day shred.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I'm often gone between 6 and 8 or even 10 at night. That's how I got myself in this bad of a predicament.

I took up walking to/from work again. It forces me to walk about 5 miles a day (using public transportation). Makes my commute about 4 hours total but at least I get exercise. I can't afford a gym right now.
  • Venice57
    Venice57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I work full-time as a translator, I'm adjuncting at the local college this semester, and I have a 5 month old.

I get up at 6:30, get my son ready for daycare (my husband actually takes him) and make breakfast, get ready and leave by 8:15. I'm at the college from 8:45 until 5:00. (Fortunately I can do my translation work while I am there in addition to doing my teaching duties). Then, I pick up my son, go home, make dinner, try to spend some quality time with DH and DS, put DS to bed at 7:30, then work on translations until 10:30. Then I clean up the kitchen do the dishes and fold whatever laundry I've managed to wash that day. I usually get to bed around midnight.

I haven't been able to figure out how to work exercise into this. I have the 30 Day Shred video, but haven't been able to squeeze it in. Maybe one day! For now, I'm just trying to get as many little bits of exercise as I can during the day: parking in one of the outer lots on campus, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. I'm not thrilled with the situation, but it's the best I can do right now, and I know it's better than nothing! I'm just focusing on what I eat, and looking forward to a time when I can workout - I miss it.
  • pirateDeb
    pirateDeb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I work two restaurants. I open the first and close the second. I wake up, go to work, have about 2 hours between shifts in which I nap and can make it the rest of the night. Its TERRIBLE.

Basically I suck it up, take advantage of power naps, and wake up extra early to go to my gym(open 24hours baby woo). I am always tired though :P
  • nordicSnow
    Options
    That's a great suggestion, thanks!
  • nordicSnow
    Options
    I hear you, I work two restaurants. I open the first and close the second. I wake up, go to work, have about 2 hours between shifts in which I nap and can make it the rest of the night. Its TERRIBLE.

Basically I suck it up, take advantage of power naps, and wake up extra early to go to my gym(open 24hours baby woo). I am always tired though :P

Is it a chain gym that is open 24 hours? I would definitly look into switching gyms if I could find one open 24 hours! The 9pm closing time is what is causing the most difficulty. Especially since i work weekends too, and on those days it closes at 6.