Obesity in America

Options

Replies

• Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I live in Europe, Scandinavia, and I have to say - most people here view America as a very obese country. It's really sad that we're so prejudiced, but it shocks me to see how true it actually is... I used to think it was mostly prejudices and exaggerations.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I live in Europe, Scandinavia, and I have to say - most people here view America as a very obese country. It's really sad that we're so prejudiced, but it shocks me to see how true it actually is... I used to think it was mostly prejudices and exaggerations.

WE r big here no doubt, the first time I went to the Philippines I was so shocked I rarely saw an over weight person....
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    WOW :(
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's crazy to see how some states shift from being some of the healthiest in 1998 to the most unhealthy in 2008. This can be changed....

I would have to guess and say that this is because a bag of chips, a candy bar, a frozen pizza, a donut, a meal at any fast food chain costs less than a pound of veggies, or chicken.
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a huge difference !!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting (if depressing) bar chart that compares obesity rates across countries:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

If that's not a wake-up call for those of us in the USA, I don't know what is.
  • dictations
    Options
    That was in '08, just imagine how much worse it is now. Not really much that can be done though, if people want to stick to all their unhealthy habits, they can't be forced to change.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I no longer fall into the 25-29% of obese people in my state! Recently my BMI hit 29 and soon enough, I hope to not be overweight either. Thanks for sharing this.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I'm not surprised by the chart. *Sniffles* I'm from the second fattest state in the nation (Alabama). In your face, Mississippi!

....Just can't wait to get out of that 'obese' category. I'll be one less fat Alabamian at least.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I saw a commercial for reruns of "Roseanne". I remember when that show first ran - Roseanne was huge. There weren't fat people on TV. But she and Dan were this huge, obese couple.

But on the commercial . . . she didn't look nearly as big as I remember. She looked . . . pretty average.

Pam
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i don't know about those numbers.. 30% of americans are obese? that mean every 3-4 people i see should be overweight and that doesn't seem right. i'll pay attention tomorrow.
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love how Japan has one of the lowest obesity rates, yet is on this super health kick. Although they also have genetics on their side, it seems.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    How do these chart makers know how much everybody weighs everywhere?
  • silentnacht
    Options
    How do these chart makers know how much everybody weighs everywhere?

This is what I wonder. I haven't been weighted by a doctor since I was around 11 years old. Neither have a lot of my friends/family. Are they just extrapolating based on the numbers they do have?
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is crazy- and changed for the worse in such a short time.
    We need to start educating people. Not just that they have to eat healthy and exercise, but what is healthy eating and what would be considered a good workout! It needs to start when kids are young,
    in school. If we can't force the food industry to change, we have to refuse to continue buying their food. Come on, the fast food meals get cheaper and cheaper and the cost of REAL food continues to rise! This trend has to stop for soooo many reasons!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    In fairness, I am an american, and I am Obese based on the BMI chart.............and probabaly will be forever. . . . It is possible to be "obese" and healthy........as odd as that sounds..............but i do understand that this is reference to a different situation..........but people like me also factor into those OBESE numbers
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Thx for posting, it's really something to see it all laid out there on the map. Holy sheesh.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I live in Oklahoma and most people I see are overweight. Most of my family is and so are my friends. This is very sad :(
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That was in '08, just imagine how much worse it is now. Not really much that can be done though, if people want to stick to all their unhealthy habits, they can't be forced to change.

Thanks for sharing! It is truly shocking, and we are passing this to our children. Society is getting less and less active and the unhealthy options are getting easier and easier. What can we do?
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    canadian's are getting pretty "big" also..... they are catching up..... so sad to see.... ...