I cannot reach my calorie goal??

Options
My goal it says is 1200 calories a day. So, before school I wake up and have a plain flavored greek yogurt with a handful of fresh berries mixed in (usually strawberries or blueberries), or maybe a cup of multigrain cheerios (dry, I am not a fan of them in milk) . Then for lunch around 1230, I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread along with an occasional apple. Then for dinner, I eat something along the lines of tonight's dinner- a bit of pork, steamed broccoli, and a little mashed potatoes (no butter). I am not a huge snacker, and if I do snack, it is usually fruit, some almonds, or some stove popped plain popcorn. Usually I have anywhere between 600-700 calories left after exercise, usually 2-3 miles along with the elliptical for 10-30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    share your diary....

add notes, peanut butter, avocado, protein shakes, dried fruit, some sort of milk? pumpkin/potato?
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I'm having similar issues. I net around 1100-1300 cals and I'm supposed to be around 1700 according MFP. In the first week and a half I lost 7 lbs and this week I only lost 3.8. People will probably say something about starvation mode and others will say this is a myth. I just eat when I feel like eating, I try not to force myself to eat. I'm looking to lose about 4 lbs a week anyway.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't mean come across as a smarty but this isn't how you've always eaten. Add a few more foods to your diet. You CAN reach your calorie goal.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You say 3.8 lbs. Like thats nothing...hey...it's a loss...congratulations!!! My advice is eat a few walnuts or almonds along with the yogurt for breakfast. Nature valley has a great chewy granola bar ...sweet and salty cashew...love it!!! That could be a after dinner snack. (160 calories)
  • mk345
    mk345 Posts: 24
    Options
    share your diary....

add notes, peanut butter, avocado, protein shakes, dried fruit, some sort of milk? pumpkin/potato?

ok i shared it, feel free to take a look! any suggestions are welcome! thank you everyone!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Peeked at your diary and it looks like you should increase your serving sizes. That will help to increase your calories! Good luck!!
  • celene329
    celene329 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had trouble reaching my 1200 calories too so I just snack... A LOT! I usually have these foods on hand: celery, carrots, almonds, fiber bars, granola bars, apples, oranges, and bananas!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OK what you're doing is really unhealthy. You're going to end up really sick.

I would eat more fruit and veg. There is none on there that I can see. (one a day maybe) Fruit and veg will fill you up and give your body the fuel it needs to function.

Increase the serving sizes. 5 ounces of meat is nothing. You could triple that and still not be near your calorie level.

Eat more at breakfast and lunch.
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it appears you are going to the other extreme and now eating too little. Probably some sub-conscious thing because you are on a diet and thus think you must eat tiny bits of food and that's it. I looked at your diary...1/8 of a cup of pasta? What is that like A noodle?

Try this - eat 6 small meals through out the whole day that average around 200 calories each....meaning some will be less, some will be more.

Breakfast have some oatmeal with a decent amount of fruit with it...not 6 blueberries like you had today.

Mid morning snack - have some string cheese

Lunch - have a sandwich and an apple

Afternoon snack - have some carrots & celery dipped into a bit of peanut butter

Dinner - Lean meat, at least 1/2c of veggies, more than just A noodle if you are eating a starch

Evening snack - If you have a sweet tooth have some grapes, berries, banana or an apple with some low fat cottage cheese.

That should get you close to 1200 calories
  • kairsme
    kairsme Posts: 29
    Options
    If you are not going to eat a substantial amount of food, you should probably consider not working out. You are working at a pretty big deficit, I read on here once that things that are attainable by extreme measures are not MAINTAINABLE. Meaning even if you lose weight this way, its unlikely you will be able to keep it off. Throw in a bowl of oatmeal, and a big ol' protein shake (protein powder fruit milk), you will hit it.
  • jewl664
    Options
    I agree, small snacks such as nuts, fruit and veg. sticks between meals. This will increase your calorie goal and your metabolism.
  • janebink
    janebink Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello mk34

I jst took a quick look at your diary and I think it would be a good idea to start the day with some protein as well as oat bran. Maybe a poached egg?
    Also - you haven't listed your drinks - are you sure you are drinking enough

Janebink
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    as long as you are eating at least 1200 a day (don't worry about exercise counting in that) you are fine. The problem is if you fall below 1200, than you can stop losing weight as your body struggles to deal with the famine it thinks has befallen you. I sometimes have issues with undereating, and what I have found that helps it to plan all my food for the day in the morning. That way if I am short I can add extra cals in somewhere by adding nuts or cheese or something to one of the meals or as a snack. Also, if you are working out daily you should really try to have protein with every meal. When you work out you are breaking down muscle and it needs protein to repair.
  • mk345
    mk345 Posts: 24
    Options
    well for whoever asked about the pasta, yes it was like one small noodle because i tried it and didnt like it. today i tried to eat more and think i did a good job. I haven't put in my exercise yet, as I am about to go to the gym, but I will be doing that too. I think I am definitely eating enough I honestly can't imagine eating anymore food. Thank you all
  • kkurtz04
    Options
    Just out of curiousity..can you not imagine eating more food because you have lowered your calorie intake and now your body is use to not eating as much so you don't feel hungry? You must have eaten more than this at some point or you wouldn't be on here right? Anyway, good luck with your future goals..sounds like you are on the right track for the most part.