My fear of losing soda

Options
I drink A LOT of water. But I also drink soda...when not water, but still its a lot. Sometimes I get tired of drinking water and want something else. I HATE juice and Gatorade and all the etc.

Is Fresca a better choice than Coke? I mean its 0 cal and stuff but still its soda. Also how do people feel about the crystal light situation?

Replies

• breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fresca and Crystal Light are good options OCCASIONALLY, they've done quite a few studies that show that foods and drinks with artificial sweeteners actually trick the brain into eating more afterwards because your brain thinks it is getting energy (a.k.a.calories)when you consume the artificial sweets, so when it doesn't get any calories you brain stimulates your cravings for other food that will fill the void. You should only consume 1-2 servings of artificial sweeteners a day.. (check labels for as stevia, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium, and saccharin)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Fresca is a fine choice. Crystal Light is a fine choice. Diet coke is a fine choice. Drink them as much as you want. You're gonna get a million people that say artificial sweeteners 'trick the brain', 'increase insulin levels', 'stimulate the appetite', 'cause cancer', 'leach calcium out of your bones', and so on. After spending hours on PubMed looking at PEER REVIEWED scientific articles in quality journals... I feel safe in saying that NONE of those claims have solid scientific backing. For every article that lists some scary fact about artificial sweeteners, there are half a dozen that refute the claim.

So... drink what you want.

OH... and the occasional coke with corn syrup or sugar is fine too! As long as it fits within your calorie goals for the day.

Best wishes.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    ZEVIA!!!!!!!!!
    all natural soda!!!!
    it so good too!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    ZEVIA!!!!!!!!!
    all natural soda!!!!
    it so good too!

I want to try that!

I drink diet root beer after I complete my 64 oz of water. Not everyday but a couple days a week. I think as long as you get your water in drink what you like!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for my Crystal Light, I wouldn't get near enough water, I know that for sure! I try to limit my soda to 1-2 a day at the most (especially if it has caffeine) and I don't count it toward my water intake. I do count the crystal light.

If you drink lots of soda it's definitely not good for you. I know some people who drink 2-3 of the gas-station giant cups of soda a day. That is not good. But less than 10 cans (12 oz) or even bottles (20 oz) in a week, I would say you're okay.
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    be careful with the artificial sweeteners. they aren't processed by the body like real ones, so they can potentially be worse for you than regular stuff
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water that I don't really have time to think about drinking other things. I used to love love love soda. But truthfully I don't miss it. I haven't had soda except once in a month.
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Fresca is a fine choice. Crystal Light is a fine choice. Diet coke is a fine choice. Drink them as much as you want. You're gonna get a million people that say artificial sweeteners 'trick the brain', 'increase insulin levels', 'stimulate the appetite', 'cause cancer', 'leach calcium out of your bones', and so on. After spending hours on PubMed looking at PEER REVIEWED scientific articles in quality journals... I feel safe in saying that NONE of those claims have solid scientific backing. For every article that lists some scary fact about artificial sweeteners, there are half a dozen that refute the claim.

So... drink what you want.

OH... and the occasional coke with corn syrup or sugar is fine too! As long as it fits within your calorie goals for the day.

Best wishes.

I agree with this. before i started with MFP i was a pepsi addict, i have now changed to diet coke with lime or diet pepsi with lime but occasionally have a pepsi. I actually crave the diet coke with lime more than the pepsi now.
  • shaebaby924
    Options
    I used to be a soda lover, but can't take all the sugar anymore. I still crave the "burn" and now drink sparkling water (store brand or LeCroix). I prefer the non-flavored kind. I drink them really cold and the burn is strong and no sugar. I've been trying MISO in my water in small amounts and not everyday when I want something with flavor. I also like tea.
  • mtppatrick
    Options
    I quit drinking soda and switched to lemon water for a week now. I use to be hooked on Dr. Pepper and Mexican Coke but I dont see any signs of switching back anytime soon. I feel better without all that excess sugar in my system, sleep better as well.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ZEVIA!!!!!!!!!
    all natural soda!!!!
    it so good too!

Agree!! I am drinking a Zevia ginger root beer right now!
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Know what? I used to be on a 12-pack per day Diet Coke habit. I just recently stopped drinking Diet Coke cold turkey (and by recently I mean "about a week ago"). I've been drinking nothing but water. And the more water I drink, the more water I want. Then tonight my ten-year-old talked me into going to McDonald's (ick!) and I got a Diet Coke, figuring just one would be okay. And you know what? I didn't even like it. I was kind of like, "Why was I so into this stuff, again?"

So yeah, I think I'm just gonna stick with the water from now on. And maybe the occasional Rockstar energy drink. (Guilty pleasure.)
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I use crystal light when I need something else besides water.

It does not make me hungry or thirsty.

Diet Coke/Coke Zero, now those make me think I am hungry. The thought of "oh I know what will taste great with this!" Ruins everything! Makes me thirsty too and crave another! I try my best to stay away!
  • dgjewels49
    Options
    I was a Diet Coke aholic big time. My mom used to tell me I should just get an IV drip of diet coke. Last year my husband was diagnosed with diabetes. He was a regular coke drinker and did not want to switch to diet. So I volunteered to give up diet coke if he gave up regular coke. It has been a year coke free at our house and we are both loving it. i have drank two diet rootbeers in this year. It is nice not being a slave to the soda!
  • Lzysgrl
    Lzysgrl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the diet hansens- some are made with splenda. also the diet rite is made with splenda and has 0 calories. I substitute one of those in when I HAVE to have a soda... no carbs, no caffeine, no sodium and I don't have any negative reactions (so far) with splenda. :) Hope this helps
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I drink a soda on an occassion especially if i am tired of just drinking water. But usually no more than one a week if that. I have been reading about how adding fresh fruits to your water makes it taste better. Might try that...i definitely will when i get to the grocery store again.
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to dr. pepper and mountain dew last year...Since I've started drinking more water, I barely ever choose anything but water or lemonade...I have had an occasional soda--as long as you make sure you count it in your food diary, its ok once in a while...but I can't take the sugar or anything any more