What would you class as a 'high-intensity' workout?

I can usually get my heart rate up to 156 beats per minute, is that high-intensity?

Replies

• Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    .... heartrate over 170? at least for me normal vigorous cardio workout is between 160-170 and those aren't workouts that KILL me. High intensity for me would be getting over that I guess
  • Your own intensity is closely linked with your heart rate... But you can't compare it to someone else's heart rate/intensity.

I measure my intensity by how easily I could hold a conversation. At my highest intensity, anything other than grunting is not possible.

That being said, the highest intensity I've been able to achieve recently puts my heart rate at about 177. I'm assuming I can probably push 180, but it's going to really hurt.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Running from the cops
  • dauenhab
    dauenhab Posts: 33 Member
    Running from the cops

Lol
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    If it's 8 or above on a 1-10 scale of percieved exertion
  • With the treadmill on 5.5 mph and a 3% incline, I can get my HR up to about 140 or 145. I've been doing cardio for a long long time. It's difficult for me to get it up to what they've labeled as the "fat burning zone." I've given up on straight cardio and do HIIT now. At my highest, my HR has been 166 doing HIIT.
  • mieowz
    mieowz Posts: 8
    Running from the cops

interesting to know how you shed the pounds. ;)
  • mieowz
    mieowz Posts: 8
    what exactly is HIIT?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Short bursts of high intensity - example I'll do mins hard out as fast as I can go on the treadmill - currently around 11.5 followed by 1min fast paced walk, like 6.5. It shocks your body into weight loss and muscle confusion.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Sorry 2 mins that should say! And HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Last night I was doing speed sessions with a running club, my HRM said avg of 180 over 1 hour 7 mins and max of 196. That was pretty damn intense lol
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    The 196 will have been the last half mile interval at 9 min miles, almost keeled over lol
  • dauenhab
    dauenhab Posts: 33 Member
    Last night I was doing speed sessions with a running club, my HRM said avg of 180 over 1 hour 7 mins and max of 196. That was pretty damn intense lol

Wow, and here I thought that getting up to a 170 BPM max was high (I think this was>90% of my max rate).
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    I have no idea what my heart rate is but I'm grunting like a mule and sweating like a pig when I do spin class, HIIT and Tabata workouts.
  • I believe it's High Intensity Interval Training. Run at near sprint speed for 1 minute and then slow to a slow run for 2 minutes and then again to sprint speed for 1 and so on for around 30 minutes total. There's more on here about it in the forum but that is hopefully a correct gist.
    what exactly is HIIT?
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    I just started working out these past two weeks for the first time in a long time and my HR is 180's when I run at 5.3. Is that normal and ok? I want to burn fat but not keel over.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    The 196 will have been the last half mile interval at 9 min miles, almost keeled over lol

I hear ya -- I used to do heart-rate training, and my running coach had me test my max in a 10K race. I ran the first 3 miles at a hard, steady effort, pushed harder in Mile 4, even faster in Mile 5, and Mile 6 was going as fast as I could. Maxed out at 206 bpm.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member

I hear ya -- I used to do heart-rate training, and my running coach had me test my max in a 10K race. I ran the first 3 miles at a hard, steady effort, pushed harder in Mile 4, even faster in Mile 5, and Mile 6 was going as fast as I could. Maxed out at 206 bpm.

Forgot to add that the last mile and change was at 7:30/mile pace.