I'm frustrated!

Options
I have completed my first week and I have actually gained eight tenths of a pound. I know its not a lot but still I have been logging all of my food and staying within my calories and I have been exercising regularly. How could I have gained anything?:grumble:

Replies

• kimdommerc
    Options
    I have completed my first week and I have actually gained eight tenths of a pound. I know its not a lot but still I have been logging all of my food and staying within my calories and I have been exercising regularly. How could I have gained anything?:grumble:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you having per day?
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    you could be getting your monthly friend ... you could need a bowel movement... could be water weight.... you could be building muscle ( muscle weighs more than fat) it could be a lot of things just dont get frustrated, give it some more time. I wouldnt take it too much to heart if the scale moves a little up .... it happens
    j~
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    I have 1200 calories a day.
  • raymonda999
    Options
    During any given day your weight can vary by up to 4-6 pounds depending on how much liquids you;ve drank, whether you need to use the facilities, the time of day etc., etc. also as has been mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are converting fat to muscle that may misleading as well. Measurements with a tape measure may be a more accurate way to gauge your progress.

So if your scale says you've gained 0.8 pounds that may not mean anything. In actuality you may have lost 3 pounds but your daily variation mya be at the +3.8 pound point.

You need to take weights over a longer period (say every week or 2) and look at the long term trend and not sweat the daily gyrations. You'll drive yourself nuts.

-Ray
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    yeah, what they said. :tongue:

honestly though, i would just second the suggestions they've given. make sure you're keeping things as consistent as you can. for example, i always weigh myself first thing in the morning, after first pee, naked(gross but true). :tongue: and of course there are lots of other factors that would affect it too like water, menst cycle, etc.

so, basically make sure you're being as consistent as possible when weighing, make sure you're drinking water, logging all cals (like don't forget the butter on the toast, etc.) and keep sticking with it!
    i know it's frustrating to not see the scale move down, but it will as long as you're exercising and drinking water and logging cals.

hang in there! stick with it!!:wink:
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging words. I'll let you know how it works out for me when I weigh again next week. I'm going to keep on keepin' on:smile:
  • backontrac
    backontrac Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I cant NOT have rice or a potato more then once a week. my body doesnt deal with it..
    try eating an orange a day. that really helps creave sweet hungers and also helps me lose weight.
    I have beef only once a week if at all.
    you have to see what works for you, we are all different.
    I eat rice cakes and 35 cal per slice bread.. I do cereal only three days a week..
    make sure your not repeating a breakfast.. dont' have the same things every morning.
    watch frozen dinners and entrees..the SODIUM is threw the roof on those things.
    I use Morton Lite Salt.. that helps with water retention.
    VARIETY..thats is the true spice of life..
    Good Luck to you. keep up the good work.. it will work ...its a trial and error till you find what your body likes and doesnt like !!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

I thought you read all the posts about eating back your exercise calories? That was just a couple days ago, right? Keep eating the calories you earn by exercise. Don't give in to the old ways of not eating.
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    Don't give up and don't let it bother you. I weight myself this morning and got one amount. Used the facilities and lost 4/10ths of a pound. Went back 5 min later and gained 2 pounds. I am attributing it to shifting of the body while being active.

Rember that it is not the little things in life that should bring us down. There are many more larger things to fret over. But then again why fret over the big things when there are flowers and trees and grass to roll in and forget all out troubles! :flowerforyou:
  • tinnytibbs
    Options
    I think we should all keep in mind that even if their is no weight loss, the benefits of daily training and healthy eating habbits alone will increase your energy, your outlook on life and help keep you alive longer....so, keep pushing, keep fighting!!!!

Exercise is like education.....it is never wasted!

Good Luck!

Tibbs!
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL. I NEVER LOOSE WEIGHT AND I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 MONTHS ALMOST NOW. THE SAD THING IS THAT I THOUGHT I LOST WEIGHT MY SCALE AT HOME SAID I WAS 140 LBS. BUT WHEN I WEIGHED MY SELF AT THE GYM IT SAID MY USUAL WEIGHT 145. I THINK MY SCALE AT HOME IS BROKE OR SOMETHING BECAUSE THERE IS A 5 POUND DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GYM DIGITAL SCALE ( THE BEST ONE) AND MY LITTLE CRACK HEAD WALMART $10 SCALE. JUST KEEP WORKING OUT TO MAKE MY SELF FEEL BETTER I TAPE MY STOMACH ONCE A WEEK. SO FAR I STARTED OFF WITH A 32 INCH WAIST NOW I HAVE A 30 INCH WAIST :). I HAVE LOST INCHES OFF MY THIGHS TOO AND I AM STARTING TO SEE MUSCLE IN MY THIGHS NOW :)
  • jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Watch your salt intake. That got me for the longest time and I couldn't lose weight. It's amazing how much salt is in processed foods. That salt holds onto water, which makes you weigh more.

Also, your body kinds of goes into storage mode once you start dieting. It tends to hold onto things longer, because there is not as much there. My body just started letting go and trusting me. My weight is starting to drop now. Your on the right track, it just takes a little time. Once you lose that first pound, you'll be so proud of yourself.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You need to relax a little, 8/10ths of a pound is a bowel movement. If you have just started working out and watching your diet it might be a good month or so before you see significant results depending on your body chemistry. I have be trying for two years and haven't dropped a pound !! I went to see a doctor in January who said my blood work came back perfect, so I went to a nutritionist to see what mistakes I was making in my diet. With the diet she put me on (similar to Atkins) I managed to gain 7 pounds in three months. Of course I'm going back to tweak it, I'm not giving up. So don't get discouraged, just keep moving forward. The worst that could happen is that you become healthier.