What's the deal with my elbows?!

Options
Okay, so I'm into the second week of Jamie Eason's Live Fit plan - it's going good, I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to seeing where I end up in a few months. But anytime I'm doing arm lifts (i.e. wide lat pulldowns, underhand grip pulldown, alternating bicep curls etc) my elbows ACHE. Like, to the point that I have to stop before I'm done my reps. The target muscles aren't to exhaustion yet but the elbow pain is so bad - last night I got nauseous mid-set and thought I'd throw up so I had to wait and try again.

I've been watching the videos of the lifts online before I try anything and I've been watching my form in the mirror during and doing things slowly. I feel the right muscles working during the lifts but my elbow pain just takes over. What gives?

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Bump - I know someone has some kind of idea.
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me...it's uncomfortable to use certain equipment (at the gym) because my elbows hurt. I think its because of the equipment and the position it puts you in..... So, I actually avoid that equipment and have found an alternative method of working the same muscles that don't put as much stress on the elbow.

If you're not using 'equipment' and just lifting weights......(per say) - perhaps try a different body position and/or find a way to support your elbow so there's not so much pressure on it. I've used weights (instead of equipment) and have found I have to hold my elbow with my other hand....
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What kind of ache is it? You MIGHT have tennis elbow! I know, I know, you haven't played tennis.

Tennis elbow is just tendonitis of the elbow -- and ANYONE can get it -- the tendon becomes inflamed and irritated by "overuse" and repetitive movements. I would suggest taking an NSAID -- ibuprophen or naproxen work best for me and see if that helps with the pain. If it does, you might consider seeing a doctor to get something a little stronger to bring down the inflammation and help with pain.

One other thing, and I'm sure you've thought of this... you could try an alternate movement that doesn't put so much stress on that joint. GOOD LUCK!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    yups, what Katgirl said - probably something like Tennis elbow, MAYBEmaybemaybe something arthritic but that seems unlikely :)
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    With Tennis Elbow - does it go away really quickly? I would think if it was inflamation the pain would continue after? That's not the case - it hurts while I'm doing it and then within 30 seconds of stopping the movement, the pain is gone. It starts again a few reps into the next different move, but again, gone once I stop. Am I maybe "using" my elbows too much during the movement somehow?
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    bursitis, maybe...?

it's the fluid that sits around your bones for movement/friction purposes gets messed up... from repetitive stuff, I think.

is it swollen at all? sounds like you need to see a doc/orthopedist!

edit - I sound really knowledgable w/ all my "maybe" and "stuff" lol this is why a doc is a good idea
  • bciochetti
    Options
    You could try using wraps on your elbows.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    You could try using wraps on your elbows.

More specifics please?

There's no fluid, and I just poked and prodded...no pain..other than the irritating funny-bone thing.

Can "repetitive strain" really happen with that few repetitions?! I only do the one muscle group a week, 3 sets of 12 reps. It's not like they're getting used every other day...
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You really should stop doing any exercises that involve your elbow until you can get things healed up (per say). And like any strains & pains that I get......I'll stop the activity and take ibuprofen or aleve for a week.

Tennis elbow generally affects the tendons on the outside of your arm/elbow. Golfers elbow generally affects the inside of the elbow/arm. But overall - it's a form of tendonitus. The tendons of the arm have been stretched & strained.

Depending on the stage (or how badly) the tendons are damaged...will depend on how it feels to you (if that's the case).

In worse cases, it will ache on and off during the day without using your arms. For light cases, it could only hurt when you utilize the muscles. It all depends on severity and how it was strained.

I've had tennis elbow in my right arm and I've had to get 2 cortozone shots (after all the other methods didn't work). It's been fine for years....but I have to be careful and 'baby' my elbows. Once you get it once, its easier to strain it again.