Working Out before breakfast?

Options
I have heard that Working Out before breakfast is a great plan because it burns fats stored in your body. However, I have also heard that a pre-breakfast work out is not healthy too. Whenever I work out before I eat in the morning I make sure to drink lots of water and a little bit of orange juice to boost my sugar levels. Does anyone know if working out before breakfast is beneficial or not?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Working out is beneficial, so the best plan is to find a time when it works best for you so you are motivated to continue.
    Personally, I have a light snack (usually fruit) before a run then breakfast afterwards, but every one is different. It sounds as though you have something that is working well, don't overthink it!
  • MsFat2Fit
    Options
    I started to do morning walks/jogs without eating anything; just having lots of water. If I would eat, I'd eat even more during that day - that works fine for me. And after morning walk some oatmeal porrige (and usually I pick up a latte on my way which is maybe not that healthy...).
  • scm7mr
    scm7mr Posts: 14
    Options
    I believe they say that if you workout before breakfast then you burn fat as the body needs to use the fat as energy. However, they also say that this means that you cannot work out for as long or as hard. So it is a personal choice i think and whatever you feel comfortable with.

I, like you, have a banana and water before I work out, then a protein shake and porridge when i finish.

Seems to be doing the job.
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For people just beginning exercise I'd say that just making it a habit whenever you are doing it, is a good thing. Once it's a habit then decide what works best for you. When I am in the habit (and I'm out of it at the moment) I like to do 20-30 mins first thing before breakfast as it sets me up for the day feeling motivated and watching what I eat. I also like to do another 20-30 mins in the early evening. I'm not sure I notice a difference between the two.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I have to eat first.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    I agree that it's personal preference. Personally, i have a hard time doing anything on a completely empty stomach, so I eat a small piece of cheese beforehand, and plenty of water before, during and after. This helps keep me energized and I get more out of my work out, rather than concentrating on how hungry I am.
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I always have to have something to eat in the morning - or I would collapse.
    So before a morning workout I'll eat some fruit or have a muesli bar & then breakfast afterwards.
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference when you eat or workout, other than personal comfort level. At a minimum one should consume some amino acids or protein 30 minutes or so before a "fasted" workout. The whole "your body burns fat because you haven't eaten in a while " is generally malinformed assumption based on pseudo science. How much can your overall metabolic channels change based on whether or not you have more food in your stomach or upper digestive system or small intestine?????

You will actually end up slightly catabolic exercising totally fasted and one should want to avoid that if they want to retain muscle mass. (trust me, you do, regardless of your goals, your sex, etc.,) as this equals the word "toning" which actually doesn't exist. Otherwise, You will burn fat, and muscle, and shed water, and raise cortisol and excite every other pathway that tells your body you're approaching famine. Do this for 3 days and you're now in underfed mode. The body doesn't care what you're trying to do or trying to look like, it doesn't enjoy your workout, and doesn't like it when you run, you do because of t.v. and magazines and MAYBE endorphines. Your body is merely trying to survive by overcompensating to environmental stressors/actors/actions, what have you. The key is in knowing this and using those things to achieve your goals. Too much work and not enough nutrition and rest equals "we are in the wilderness and times are hard " regardless of your intentions, looks, conversation at the water cooler, the dvd, the shake weight, or any other environmental stimuli. Days over days control of intake is what matters. Not when you eat, or what time, or at night, or before bed, or after six, or while watching cartoons or any other myths.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something.

Even if I do a really early run - I need just a little. One of my best early morning runs was fuelled by a handful of Minstrels.. :)

Usually though I like a slice or two of wholemeal toast, light scraping of peanut butter and a coffee . That keeps me going.

x
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    The old debate about fasted workout can draw scientific evidence and strong opinions from both pro and con perspectives. Wether one should undertake it depends specifically on what one's goals are. I will tell you that I have seen it work to increase the rate of fat loss in most individuals. How much that works, if at all, is very individual. I would qualify that for most people it has a noticable difference, but we are still talking about a relatively small percentage. As an above poster mentioned, an amino complex before hand is a good idea if you can afford it, although I don't and have no issues. Definitely consume at least 2 cups of water or green tea prior to engaging, and don't go more than 45 min - an hour without putting something in like a gel or calorie dense liquid. It's 1:05 as a safe zone for me. The most important aspect with any of this is to be the scientist in your own life. Monitor the data (bf% and muscle weight, in this case) and draw your own conclusions to discover what is most effective for your body.

That being said it is not necessarily the "best" way to work out. Many people feel ill trying to work out on empty and need food, where some work better that way. Some people's lifestyle require evening workouts. Etc, etc, etc. Also, where performanc is important or when working out with the sole intention of gaining muscle having resources available in the body is important.

Themost important htingis that you exercise. Often and hard. You will get results.

Again, invest in the proper monitoring tools and find out what works for you! Good luck!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    It makes absolutely no difference when you eat or workout, other than personal comfort level. At a minimum one should consume some amino acids or protein 30 minutes or so before a "fasted" workout. The whole "your body burns fat because you haven't eaten in a while " is generally malinformed assumption based on pseudo science. How much can your overall metabolic channels change based on whether or not you have more food in your stomach or upper digestive system or small intestine?????

You will actually end up slightly catabolic exercising totally fasted and one should want to avoid that if they want to retain muscle mass. (trust me, you do, regardless of your goals, your sex, etc.,) as this equals the word "toning" which actually doesn't exist. Otherwise, You will burn fat, and muscle, and shed water, and raise cortisol and excite every other pathway that tells your body you're approaching famine. Do this for 3 days and you're now in underfed mode. The body doesn't care what you're trying to do or trying to look like, it doesn't enjoy your workout, and doesn't like it when you run, you do because of t.v. and magazines and MAYBE endorphines. Your body is merely trying to survive by overcompensating to environmental stressors/actors/actions, what have you. The key is in knowing this and using those things to achieve your goals. Too much work and not enough nutrition and rest equals "we are in the wilderness and times are hard " regardless of your intentions, looks, conversation at the water cooler, the dvd, the shake weight, or any other environmental stimuli. Days over days control of intake is what matters. Not when you eat, or what time, or at night, or before bed, or after six, or while watching cartoons or any other myths.

^^This, I couldn't have said it better! :)
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I workout before I eat, but I'm using a recumbant bike so that might make it easier as I am sitting. For me, I roll out of bed (after hitting snooze about 3 times), grab some water and get straight on the bike (usually half asleep). If I took the time to eat before I got on the bike, I probably wouldn't get on it. It wakes me up and then when I'm done, I'm ready to eat. I think it's personal preference. If you don't eat before you workout and you find you are lacking energy, getting sick or getting dizzy, then eat before, otherwise I think either way is fine.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I tried that and almost passed out lol. I now eat breakfast and about an hour later I do my workout.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that fasted cardio be beneficial, but mostly only for the already very lean. If you aren't time of workout isn't nearly as important as just getting that time in.
  • Okieace
    Okieace Posts: 56
    Options
    I've been told working out before eating can be very beneficial if done occasionally and it shouldn't be done all the time. Generally I like to work out after work during the week and then on Saturday mornings I'll do a medium cardio workout before breakfast. This has worked really well for me personally, but individual results may vary.
  • mzjstef
    mzjstef Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 to workout b/c otherwise I don't have time to do it with my family's crazy schedule. I don't eat before, but try to get some water in me. I eat a small breakfast or have a protein shake afterward. I do find that I don't have as much energy as I do for an afternoon workout. Even 30 minutes is difficult some days. The cup of coffee after is my reward......!!! :) And, I usually have an extra half hour of me time before anyone else gets up. Love that!!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat something small, like a piece of fruit or granola bar and then I eat breakfast after my work out.