what do you consider to be plus size?

Options

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I size 6 Aus is a size 0 US (which wtf people, 0 means you don't exist. What a stupid way to size people.). So 8's are TINY in my opinion.

honestly American sizes are messed up.... a 0 today was a 6 .... seriously they are making clothing bigger and saying the size is smaller...That's why I only care about measurements

I wear a size 12 and I'm obese... so really size means nothing...
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    sizing is so difficult.
    In Kmart there will be an 18 in the plus section, and an 18 in the normal section. In the normal section for instance, it would be so freaking tight on me.
    There are stores too that are geared for plus sizes as well. I wish there was a universal sizing. I like Target and Kmart for the fashion. I like this sit http://www.volupture.com.au/
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    either a 12 or a 14, just because most designers don't carry anything past these sizes.. i.e. Forever 21/Express don't go larger than 31/size 12.

If it is carried, its part of the plus size line.

This is what I always thought as well.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I size 6 Aus is a size 0 US (which wtf people, 0 means you don't exist. What a stupid way to size people.). So 8's are TINY in my opinion.

I was just explaining to a young co-worker how size 0 never existed when I was younger. People were tiny then too. Manufacturers just make the sizes smaller so that women will shop at their stores "I'm a size 2 at Hollister!" Which is such BS because there's no way to gauge sizes. The other added fact is there is now spandex in almost all jeans. Didn't used to exist.

Now back to the subject. I was a (tight) size 16 at 195 pounds (5'8"). I didn't consider myself plus size even though I was big for me. I would have to agree that size 20 would be plus size (US) because that's the size the women's section starts in.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Any size one size larger than what I wear.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel if you can buy in the regular ladies department (vs the womens) then it's not yet plus size. I am wearing 14/16 right now - depends on the brand, etc. But if I go to a place like Lane Bryant or to the plus size section, a 14 or 16 there is too big. Guess they're just cut a bit differently. :huh: I'd be interested to know what MEN view as plus sized or not.
  • JJhoney
    JJhoney Posts: 29
    Options
    18+
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    14+ I think is where the actual plus size starts....
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    16+
  • Keto1on1
    Keto1on1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WELL THE WOLD TO DAY SAYS ANY THING FROM 12 ON UP IS PLUS SIZE. BUT MODELS SAY ANY THING ABOVE4 CRAY !
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the body structure, but mostly I would say 16 +

I was at a skinny weight at 185 and wore a size 12 and a Xsmall woman's T, and I am not pear shaped, I have a hour glass shape, but I really do have naturally wide hip bones, and a muscles back end, so 12 is not always plus, that and 12 is normally the cut off size in department stores
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, and have been a size 16 since I was 14 (despite my weight gain of approx. 40 pounds). I'd say, as other people have, that in stores live Rietman's or where ever else that have a separate side of the store, or a specific wall that you have to shop from that THAT is a plus size. Not that it really matters, since sizes are crap anyway thanks to our society's vanity. It's just so irresponsible for others to make people feel that they are worth less because they are bigger. I personally think that stores should keep all the sizes of a style together (as opposed to separating the bigger sizes to the opposite side of the area). It's less embarrassing, and less demeaning on a whole this way.

Just my two cents.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Well, then, Some plus size stores start at 14W. (women) and up. If you get a 14 in regular sizes it will be too tight. If it's a top and you carry your weight in your middle and bust you would need the 14W. Would you believe 16 petite in pants and 1x in tops. You could go crazy trying to figure it out. Also, I found out that when clothes are cut at the manufacturers, and the material on the pattern is stacked too high as the material is cut, the same dress, pants, top or whatever can be different. It is hard to cut and not have the material shift. (Try it,) Paper does the same thing. Tight on one hanger and fine if you pick another in the same size. That's why it's so hard to depend on brand names. The size can change when cut at the manufacturer's.:blushing:

Hope I didn't confuse everyone. I knew what I meant. I think:laugh:
  • geistmadl
    Options
    25 years ago it used to be a size 16. The clothes are smaller in sizes now too than back then- ego sizing. I think it is just another excuse to jack up prices on clothing. :) but that is just me.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, and have been a size 16 since I was 14 (despite my weight gain of approx. 40 pounds). I'd say, as other people have, that in stores live Rietman's or where ever else that have a separate side of the store, or a specific wall that you have to shop from that THAT is a plus size. Not that it really matters, since sizes are crap anyway thanks to our society's vanity. It's just so irresponsible for others to make people feel that they are worth less because they are bigger. I personally think that stores should keep all the sizes of a style together (as opposed to separating the bigger sizes to the opposite side of the area). It's less embarrassing, and less demeaning on a whole this way.

Just my two cents.

Kirsten I totally concur =)
  • nikki8783
    Options
    18+
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think size 12+ for myself personally. I'm happy being under that number. If I'm above it I feel overweight. :smile:
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    I don't think there is one size that is 'plus size' without taking height into account. For an average height woman in Australia, I'd say 16+. But it depends as some labels are also more generously sized than others so that can make a difference. For some brands I'd say 14+ is plus size. Really hard to call it.
  • 2012loseit
    2012loseit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    it used to be the average 12-14 but these days the average size in Aus is 14-16...

I love shopping in the plus size stores cause i wear their size "S" and sometime "XS".... and i was in there a few weeks ago and there was this tiny maybe size 10 picking stuff up to go and try on, she came out of the change room next to me and said to her friend can you get me the extra small the small is to big... could not help myself i cracked up laughing and said "i don't think you will find anything in here to fit you i wear the extra small! this is a plus size store!"
    the look on her face was priceless