how much is allowed?

Hi all...

I'm really enjoying my new lifestyle change and loving the exercise, however i have seen alot on here about portion size and measuring your food, so my question is how much? when preparing a meal how do i know what amount to have? i have invested in some scales so i can weigh but not sure on how much.

Can anyone help?
I'm 238lb and on 1200 cals a day.

Many Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    You eat what fits into your calorie goals. I plan out my meals the night before and start entering them into MFP. I will then know if I have enough calories left for one cup of pasta or two or for 4 ounces of steak or 6, etc. I go by serving size when foods are packaged. For instance, I snack a lot on almonds and 30 grams = 1 serving, so I weigh it out.
  • I was told as a *very* rough guide, that your protein (meat, fish) should fit in the palm of your hand as a portion size. With rice (cooked, white), I never have more than a tablespoon.

I top up my plate with salad with fat free vinaigrette & it seems to be working for me!

I've found the longer I go on (been dieting less than 2 weeks!), I don't feel as hungry on the smaller portions anymore. It's like my stomach has got used to feeling full on less amount now!!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Click on 'food' then 'database' and enter in different foods and quantities to see how many calories are in them, you may be surprised!
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Happystars82 -I think it depends on what you're weighing. I second what David says. The database is a real saviour :)

BTW
    With rice (cooked, white), I never have more than a tablespoon.

:noway:

I struggle to eat (only) half a cup. That's probably just the Nepalese in me though.