Do I have to strength train??

Options
I would MUCH rather do cardio than strength training because I get bored too easily with strength training, whereas cardio keeps me moving and motivated. So my question is do I have to strength train? The cardio workouts that I do include push ups, lunges, kicking, punching etc. so I definitely feel like I'm building muscle.

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I would MUCH rather do cardio than strength training because I get bored too easily with strength training, whereas cardio keeps me moving and motivated. So my question is do I have to strength train? The cardio workouts that I do include push ups, lunges, kicking, punching etc. so I definitely feel like I'm building muscle.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Whatever cardio you're doing, I'm assumming it's kickbowing or something like that, is including strength training in it, so no I woulnd't say you HAVE to do more. You coulld trow in something else like ab crunches or something. I mostly do cardio but I have issues with my tummy and my bum so I also do lunges, mule kicks, ab crunches and some other ab excercises.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Umm I would say you are good there. I dont strength train yet either mostly b/c I have enough fat to lose that toning is not part of my agenda. However if you are doing all those exercises in your cardio I think you are strength training. I do what you do in my little videos that I partake in and I can tell I am toning things, so I would not worry to much about that until you have lost your weight and decide to tone up to your starndards if you even have too.:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

If you're including resistance then it's not strict cardio anyway. You don't NEED to use weights, many people go strictly with resistance training (using your body weight to build muscle). I find that some aspect of resistance training is great for you anyway. I say, if you don't like the weights, then go for it with resistance. It's a matter of taste.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Just from my own experience, you don't have to.

But. . .I started late in the whole losing weight and I wish in my very bottomest of hearts that I'd started doing it sooner. I've lost a considerable amount of weight, and it was only after I started working my shoulders and arms that people said things like "Oh my god, your waist is getting so small". It's not that the waist got smaller, my shoulders got just a little bigger, so I look more proportional now. Also, I am now the person my husband calls when he can't get the pickle jar open. :wink:

I would assess your cardio, or have a trainer do that if you can. I only work the muscle groups that my cardio doesn't already cover. For example, I do a lot of spinning, so my legs are covered, but I do some upper body work now.

Just my two cents.:flowerforyou:
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For many years when I would go to the gym I would not use a whole lot of weight on the machines or do alot of strenght training because I had too much fat to loss to even think about muscle. I must say I was wrong! My sister is a personal trainer and kept telling me to strength train and add some weight to the machines. Why would I listen to her she was 120 5'5 and is perfectly built. Hmmm maybe we have different parents and we just don't know :laugh: I have always struggled with my weight and she never has. So I got a gift certificate for Barnes & Noble in January and I used it to buy the Biggest Loser Cookbook and Fitness Program. Well in the book it says strength training is very important. The more muscle you have the more your metabolism speeds up and the more calories you burn. I tried to find it in the book before posting but I can't find where it says it. I think its like 2 calories for every pound of fat to about 50 calories for every pound of muscle. Needless to say I gave it a shot and my weightloss is moving faster now. I have lost over 25 pounds since I began to do BORING strength training and in less time then when I was doing cardio alone. Guess I should have listened to my skinny sister years ago. :happy: Who would have thought she knew anything about diet and exercise. I would continue to do what your doing and if you would like to add some hand weights it will definately help. You don't need to use heavy weights. I started off low and increased the weight when my body seemed to be getting used to the weight I was using. Just wanted to put in my two cents :happy: Hope you all have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options

Oops. Sorry. Too early to be pushing buttons. Anyway...the thing is, muscle burns more calories than fat. The more you build muscle, the more calories you need, thus the more you burn "in the background" so to speak. And of course having a strong core helps you in your cardio routine, as well as with just carrying groceries into the house, etc. so there's a case to be made for adding core strengthening exercises to your workout if nothing else.

The good news is it sounds like your cardio routine includes some exercises that ARE building muscle and strength, especially the lunges and push-ups. So keep it up and enjoy the burn!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is all a personal choice, you are doing some resistance exercises which is good. But please remember the benefits of weight bearing exercises. First of all if you build muscles your metabolism will increase, which will increase the speed of weight loss. Second weight bearing exercise is great for bone density which will decrease the chance of Osteoporosis.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with the resistance already in your cardio, so you're fine. One more quick note for everyone who does cardio and strength trains, I read in Self Magazine (think it was this months) that for people with blood pressure problems, it is better to strength train and then cardio. The weights peak the blood pressure, and then the cardio helps stablize it. Good to know for me, I was doing it backwards the whole time!
  • jraymond
    jraymond Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hold on, everyone! You mostly lose fat through stength training. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know. But building muscles is where you burn the majority of your calories. You will burn them throughout the day with more muscle. Also, strength training strengthens your bones. It is not just for toning. I would do resistance/weight bearing exercises on top of the cardio.