Protein shakes / powders / whatever - available in UK

Smuterella
Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
I'm mystified where to start with this. I want something fairly low fat but that adds protein to my diet. Any recommendations? I'd rather have something that isn't too complicated - just a mix and go.

Replies

• Paul_Kent_UK
    Paul_Kent_UK Posts: 63 Member
    Take a look in Holland and barrett - they have loads of choice and the staff are usually very helpful and should be able to point you in the right direction. They have powders, premixed and some bars.
  • My personal trainer recommends myprotein.com - I have chosen the Diet Whey Protein for post workout shake. Hope that helps!
  • Im on the Herbalife programme. Its fabulous, I have more energy, dont feel hungry or deprived and my recovery rate from exercise is fabulous xx
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    I use the Precision Engineered stuff from Holland and Barratt (buy it when it's on offer; buy one get one free or buy one, get one half price...)

1 scoop (25g) in 250ml of skimmed milk.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    I found a website called OneOn check them out great reviews on their website and facebook page, I ordered a tub of whey protein max and it came this morning, its was so good, deffo try them out they have lots of different flavours and the price is excellent compared to the crap from holland & barretts deffo gonna order some more from them :)
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000QSRO1Y/ref=ox_ya_os_product

£36.85/2.2Kg for subscribe & save, you can unsubscribe at any time (even after the first order) with no catches.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    I'm mystified where to start with this. I want something fairly low fat but that adds protein to my diet. Any recommendations? I'd rather have something that isn't too complicated - just a mix and go.

Look for whey protein isolates. It is pure protein, with almost no carb and fats. I suggest Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    I use Nutrisport +90.

It's been a while since I looked at the stuff on the market but when I did my research it seemed to be the best protein to cals ratio at the low end price range.

A 53g (2 scoop) serving of Nutrisport 90+ provides is 43g of protein, 187cal and 1.4g of fat. But, I typically only take one scoop. It's fine with water and relatively cheap (I buy it on-line)

What I would advise is that you start of with a small tub. This is a more expensive way of buying but is better than getting a huge tub of something that you can't stand or stomach (since some people find that whey protein powders upset their stomach).
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    My Trainer recommends GoProtein.com GoPro Whey. I have some at home too.

I also have a Protein bar as an afternoon snack. Maximuscle Promax Diet - Choc Orange or Choc Mint.

Alternatively, something like 100g of Wafer Thin Roast Beef slices or 100g of Smoked Salmon will provide you with around 20g of excellent protein, with 0.1g of Carbs, low sat. fats and an abundance of good fats.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    For Goodness Shakes are a good sports recovery one, but are 2/3 carbs to 1/3 protein so no good if you are low carbing. I use them after really long runs sometimes.
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    I use maximuscle high protein atm, it's pretty yummy :)
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    My personal trainer recommends myprotein.com - I have chosen the Diet Whey Protein for post workout shake. Hope that helps!

^^ Another vote for myprotein.com - there is something there for everyone!!

I was always a Maxitone Sculptress girl - but now they've changed the forumla I am not a fan anymore - it's now too sweet and more a "meal replacement" than a "protein drink" (too many carbs!!)

Now using MP Max Elle True Diet Protein shake and it's GREAT!
  • i use USN or reflex :smile:

and both whey protein they do other types but i use whey as there is little or no carbs and tiny amount of sugar. Both them brands do pure protein too
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Amazon UK do the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder for about £20/908g
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Another recommendation my Myprotein here.. used them a lot while powerlifting, they do a great range of supplements/meal replacements at good prices and have some tailored with women.
  • Smuterella
    OK, I'm going to try MyProtein. Thanks all!

This is what these boards should be for, support and information, it is nice to see that after all the griping lately. <3
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Enter HUT5 into the Discount Code box if it's your first purchase on myprotein.co.uk to receive a £5 discount off your order.
  • I love Reflex Diet Whey Protein in bannoffee.
  • Smuterella
    Enter HUT5 into the Discount Code box if it's your first purchase on myprotein.co.uk to receive a £5 discount off your order.

Thank you sir! :-)
  • I love Reflex Diet Whey Protein in bannoffee.

sounds interesting, not tried the diet whey, has it got green tee extract etc?