Ideas to get my calorie burn up

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I measure everything with a HRM so I know my burn rate is accurate, but it is depressingly low these days! This morning I burned 541 cals running 7 miles in 70 minutes, I burn about 125 cals doing level 1 of the 30DS, and 321 cals an hour doing aerobics. Circuit training is a bit higher at about 400 per hour.

Compared to the calories burned I see in all my friends' diaries, this seems ridiculously low, and it gets lower all the time.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to get my calorie burns higher when I exercise, aside from doing it for longer? I am very limited time-wise as I have 2 small children and am doing a masters degree. I am getting thoroughly disheartened. I don't know anyone who burns as few calories as I do during exercise, even though I really push myself.

Replies

• mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would say your calorie burns are "ridiculously low." They seem pretty on par with mine. If you really want to up it though, run faster! Or try running with a couple light dumbbells. You could also try some different exercises...i've started running up and down the stairs at work. That's a great workout!

Good luck!
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    are your friends substantially heavier than you? i know that doing the things you listed i as 244lb woman would burn ALOT more than that
    unfortunately as you near your goal and your fitness is improved you have to work ALOT harder to get a big burn
    i dont have any tips but from what ive read swimming is a good calorie burn compared to other cardio exercises
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    less than 600 calories burned running 7 miles?
    Wow!
    All I can say is increase intensity and duration.

You must be in great condition!
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The man who coaches my local running group says to NEVER run while holding hand weights. It can throw off your balance and cause serious injury.

That said, maybe doing some HIIT would help. Sprint as hard as you can for a minute and a half, then recover. Repeat a bunch of times. Supposedly this really revs up your metabolism.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Start doing HIIT training (Turbofire is Full of it), get some weighted gloves (I've been meaning to/same as running with dumbells, just more idiot proof).

Edit: There you go, two advocates of HIIT. I think the gloves are more something people use when doing aerobics.
  • fteale
    Options
    less than 600 calories burned running 7 miles?
    Wow!
    All I can say is increase intensity and duration.

You must be in great condition!

Thanks. I do seem to have a high level of natural fitness, but it's a *kitten* for calorie burning!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Another poster already mentioned it - but do you know what weight your other friends are at? I have been exercising for about 4 weeks now and am heavier. I still burn 700-800 calories in an hour but to continue doing that this week I had to increase my resistance on all machines and push harder. So I wouldn't necessarily compare your calories burned to others. With that said - windsprints - they are a killer but really get your heart rate up. Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The man who coaches my local running group says to NEVER run while holding hand weights. It can throw off your balance and cause serious injury.

Really? I have never heard that. Of course...I have never tried it either. Shows what I know :D

Also agree with HIIT - although in your pictures you look pretty thin!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1) Your friends may be using a method that overestimates calories burned--especially if they're using machines at the gym.
    2) It's been mentioned before HIIT--supposedly great for burning calories, I've also noticed it improves my overall "speed" (in quotes because I'm usually on an elliptical).
    3) Hand weights, leg weights, and/or a weighted vest (or even a well fitting backpack), this should make running, aerobics, etc. more difficult.
  • fteale
    Options

That said, maybe doing some HIIT would help. Sprint as hard as you can for a minute and a half, then recover. Repeat a bunch of times. Supposedly this really revs up your metabolism.

I do do sprints, not every run, but often enough. one minute fast, then jog for a minute, then sprint again, I do 2 sets of 5 sprints, as part of a longer 45 minute run loop.