High heels and exercise

Options
grassette
grassette Posts: 976 Member
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/scientists-look-at-the-dangers-of-high-heels/

Ever wonder what high heels to do your feet and how they might affect your feet when you put on your running shoes?

Do you wear heels? Would you give them up?

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I would never give up my heels. I only have 3 pair that I can wear because 95% of the time I dress like a poor college student who doens't know where her next meal is coming from...but when I do get the chance to dress like a girl I put on my pumps and rock it out
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That's a fascinating article. I like the way it details movement whether in heels or in flats. I used to wear heels every day to work when I had a job that required it. Wearing sneaks after work always felt strange, and my calves were often sore. Now I know why.

I've always heard that wearing heels gave a good calf workout, but it sounds like that's a myth, and shortening calf muscles can be harmful!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Heels make me feel sexy, always. I have learned that for me, dressing nicely and feeling confident really does improve my mood, my performance at work, and how I interact with people. I don't know that I ever wear flats to work, and only occasionally when I'm out and about. I will never, ever give up my heels! :smile:
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I won't give up my heels, but I only wear them a couple times a year when I really want to look "nice". Sure, it's never good for me, but I do it so infrequently that I'm content with the trade off for how confident I feel when I do indulge.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have never worn heels except to weddings and other special occasions. My flat feet don't like them and I prefer to be comfortable. I'm that lady speed walking past all the high-heeled women every morning, lol.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Their research pool were women that wear heels at least 40 hours per week, for at least two years.

I wear heels (only 2" heels) maybe twice a week, to work. When I work out, I wear Vibram 5-finger "shoes" ... and I run barefoot quite often. I wear flats or "regular" shoes the rest of the time.

I think heels are okay, but I wouldn't wear them daily, myself.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I never wear heels is because my Aunt has horrific leg/knee problems from doing just that her whole life.
    For special occasions it can be nice, but generally I stick to flat shoes and boots!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wear heels pretty regularly, but I don't walk in them much. I have a desk job, so back and forth to the water fountain, bathroom, car. I usually kick them off under my desk, too.

And when I go out and know I'm going to be dancing a lot, 90% of the time, I choose cute flats. I don't like pain.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I love heels... but I'm too heavy to wear it :( It hurts my feet.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have never worn heels except to weddings and other special occasions. My flat feet don't like them and I prefer to be comfortable. I'm that lady speed walking past all the high-heeled women every morning, lol.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Being that I'm nearly 6'1, I rarely wear heels. If I do, they end up coming off. Plus I'm pretty sure every time I've worn them, I get blisters.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    Crap. I wear them all day everyday. I also work in a salon and am on my feet alot. Come on I'm 5'1 !! And need to be stylish at my job LOL
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wear them at work - but I rotate them out between a boot with a slight lift. This article doesn't suprise me - there have been studies done that show that wearing heels actually shortens your tendons and calf muscles. I always get cramps in my calves if i don't stretch out before walking because of wearing heels.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know whether the size of the heel matters. I can't walk in stilettos, but I rock my boots, with about a 2 inch heel, just about every day to work. Having that little lift does wonders for my work ethic and confidence. I don't think I'd be willing to give them up.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I love my heels and would NEVER give them up. I have horrible foot problems and my physical therapist told me that wearing heels all day is part of the problem. I just looked at him, nodded in agreement and put my heels back on. They make me feel sexy and not much else does.

I read an article once where a reporter asked Beyonce about her feet and wearing heels, basically she said, her feet hurt alot but that is the price you pay for wearing heels.

I would definitely never give up my heels.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    An older friend of mine (50s now) refused to give up heels... always wore them, loved them! Sadly now she has major foot problems, so bad some days it's painful to walk at all. Her Dr ordered her to stop wearing them, so she finally has. Other women I know have horrible ugly bunions and almost disfigured toes from a lifetime of wearing heels.

This sort of future is not for me. I want to enjoy myself and look good now as well as in the future. I wear heels special occasions only. I can look great, sexy, and stylish in nice boots or strappy sandals without the torture on my feet. Plus working in a walking city with cobblestone and uneven sidewalks is hazardous in heels. I saw some poor girl take a face plant on the sidewalk in stiletto boots, ouch!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am 5 foot and have worn shoes with a heel (not necessarily high heels, but a 2" lift) every single day since high school. even my flip flop have a heel. i have noticed that tennis shoes feel 'wrong' and that my calves hurt after wearing them. just this year, i bought my first ever pair of flat ballet slippers. i have worn them twice. i just feel so short without the extra height.