This is starting to get old!

Options

Replies

• dtucker4403
    dtucker4403 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope. You have lost a lot already. Stick to it. Are you noticing a difference in how your clothes are fitting? Do your muscles feel tighter. You may be gaining muscle mass which would weight more, but make you look and feel better. Ignore the scale for awhile and concentrate on how you are feeling and how your body is looking. Also, make sure you are listing your calories burned through exercise properly. I think this website tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise.
  • FitLayne
    Options
    Hi! I found that at a certain point when I was working out (swimming & water aerobics) very regularly 3-4 times a week - 45-75 minutes each workout that for quite a while my weight plateaued but I was still losing sizes! I'm in a size 16 and sometimes a 14 which feels great.

On the other hand I've started paying more attention to food - focusing on portion sizes and adding vegetables - recently because I'd like to loose another 20 pounds this year. Hope this is helpful.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    Also, I know if I eat too few calories, or even just slightly too much, I won't budge. I'll stay stabilized around a certain range and will not leave it until I eat just the right amount of calories, and a bit extra if I exercise a lot. I am steadily losing as a result. The last couple weeks I was going over by 200-500 a night--still not NEARLY as much as I used to eat, but still more than MFP suggests, and I didn't lose an ounce. I went back to eating the right amount and immediately dropped 2, so perhaps this is part of your problem if you do that as well?

This is what I go through to a T!!!! I was also going over 200-500 last week and I gained (not a lot, but still....frustrating). So now I stay as close as humanly possibly to MFP's calorie goals, I don't eat my exercise calories, and Im starting to lose again :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1. You do not look gross. Your body is yours and that is special. Embrace yourself for who you are at all times, not for what you can or will be.

2. You do not NEED to be a certain weight by a certain date. You would LIKE to be a certain weight by a certain date. There is enough stress in life without adding to it.

3. You don't need to buy frozen meals or go organic. There are steps in between. Try making your own frozen meals at home. They can be cheaper and you can control what goes into them. When a company packages a product, it must have at least what they say it has on the label. They often add extra to keep from getting fined. This can add hundreds of calories a week to what you are eating.

4. Relax and enjoy your life. You can rock a little black dress now.

Oh yeah - enjoy your trip to Vegas!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Also, if you HAVE to drink soda (and I am guilty of this because I have to have caffeine, but can't stand coffee), drink diet. I am a huge dr pepper fan...so I have limited myself to one 12 oz can a day. The sodium from soft drinks will definitely hinder you when trying to lose the weight.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Your exercise diary says you burned about 350 calories for 45 minutes of what's just listed as "cardio"
    Are you sure about the number? Since I don't know what cardio means, you might consider walking to be cardio and not be burning as much, or you might be straight running for 45 minutes and be burning way more. I would either use a heart rate monitor or look up the calories burned for your specific cardio and your specific pace from multiple sites, and use an average of those to estimate your burn. That way you can know how much you need to eat back. I would also suggest doing strength training (I don't eat back/count calories burned for that even though I do 30+ minutes of it when I work out).

Another problem is that you have a date by which you "HAVE TO" lose the weight. While it's great you have a goal in mind, the body is not a perfect machine and doesn't always work like that. The only deadline you should have for fitness is making good choices TODAY, and then repeating that. It's not worth the stress to set a deadline; If you eat right and exercise right, you will reach your goal, and whatever day that comes will be the right day. :)
    I do use a heart rate monitor so I know my cals burn it correct. I listed it as Kettlebell Cardio but MFP just put in Cardio That why it looks funny.
  • kjmace
    kjmace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything or only going by sight? I know if I get stuck I bring out the measuring cups and spoons and just check that I'm not eating more then I think I am. I think this is a good thing to do about once a month if not every day. Keep up the good work.
  • WendiH76
    Options
    Try to start cutting out the frozen processed foods. If you eat bread go for something that has more whole grain in it. There are alot of easy options that are not all that expensive. You do not have to go all organic. Try Tuna in a whole wheat wrap with some veggies on it. It is a cheap and healthy lunch. Do start logging your sugars, they can kill any weight loss. The premade frozen meals have a lot of sodium and other sutff that can mess with your weight loss. Don't give up though, you just need to changes some things up, you will get there and you will look great in that little black dress!!!!
  • tsornoza
    tsornoza Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started my journey a week and a half ago. I though by having a smart ones I was doing good for lunch, then reading all this, I see I'm putting my weight loss in danger. Thanks for this great advice. I am afraid of the scale. I decide to weight myself on week 4 of my journey. I really don't want to be disappointed by the scale. Good luck with your journey. feel free to add me. :)
  • anulle2009
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything or only going by sight? I know if I get stuck I bring out the measuring cups and spoons and just check that I'm not eating more then I think I am. I think this is a good thing to do about once a month if not every day. Keep up the good work.
    I do measure what I have. I have a scale and I use my measuring cups. I appreciate everyone's input, it has been very helpful. NO MORE FROZEN DINNERS!! I am going to add sugar to my logging also.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Try cutting your carbs by half for a week.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of the processed foods as they contain a lot of sodium. You don't have to be organic, just do more cooking. I hated cooking ,as I live alone, but started to do it again.I hated chicken, now eat it constantly, I also bought a crock pot and found low calorie recipes which taste great. Also, I haven't eaten pizza, rice, white bread, cookies , cake since I started. I gave up alcohol. When I want to "cheat", I realize I would rather be thin. My weight loss is so slow, I am older, have thyroid and other issues. If I can do it so can you. Don't give up.

^^^^THIS 110%
    I, too, am not big on cooking (I come from a family of foodies that cooks *all* the time, I'm just an avid eater) but when you focus on items that are fresh (doesn't have to be organic, but you can also check out the local Farmer's Markets) and don't come with the "Diet" "Fat Free" "Low Carb/Fat/Cal" you lose the weight. Sodium is a HUGE factor in processed foods, but you can avoid this by simply making your own meals. Use as much fresh food as possible, lots of spices, easy on the salt, and you'll be golden!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating less carbs and more protein and fat. Less bread and pasta and more whole grains like brown rice or oats. I'm not talking "low carb", but if you are near or over your carb goal most days and consistently under on protein and fat, you may need some adjustments. Protein and fat will keep you full longer.

And add more fresh veggies. They really aren't that expensive if you choose wisely. Staples like carrots, onions and celery are generaly affordable. Buy others when they are on sale. Organic is good, but not necessary. If organic is too expensive just get what you can afford and enjoy. Or buy frozen or canned vegetables.

If you switch your focus to healthy nutrtiously balanced foods, rather than "diet foods" you may find more success and more satisfacition with your diet.

Good Luck!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the regular soda. I totally understand the need to drink something other than water, but I would suggest you swap out our regular soda for diet or even green tea. I know that when I stopped drinking regular soda I dropped 5 lbs really fast (my husband dropped 10 lbs when he stopped). You body doesn't do anything with those empty calories so the most difficult thing to quit is going to be the sugar. I would suggest getting the sweet fix from a whole food...like apples, bananas, etc.
  • kasrentz
    kasrentz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered nurse and I would highly recommend getting your thyroid checked. If you have hypothyroidism it could be causing your weight loss issues. Yes, weight loss can slow down and processed foods, etc. are not good but it sounds to me like there must be something else going on.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Okay, I looked at your diary, and what I will say is, although you are apparently staying within you're calorie allowance, you're not exactly eating clean. So my advice would be to make 100% certain that you are logging your portions correctly. Because of what you're eating and drinking, it would not take much at all be somewhat drastically over if you aren't logging the correct portion sizes. Just something to think about.
  • athearenee
    Options
    Hey...Hang in there..and Mix it Up...

Try a different type of "burn"...maybe Pilates or Yoga....

Alternate your types of workouts and days of work outs and give your body rest to catch up...

*when I was working out like a crazy woman (Zumba in the mornings, Gazelle (yes that ancient thing) afternoon and night, as well as cooking and cleaning all day...my weight loss slowed way down....wtf?

2 Problems There... I wasn't eating enough calories & my body couldn't catch up...so my metabolism..slowed down. CRAZY, Right?
    The second I ate more and put 2 to 3 "no exercise" days back into the routine....I started losing again...

REMEMBER... Weight is a number... Made up of Muscle & Fat --- Soooooo all that exercise might just be building muscle in place of the fat.....but muscle looks better anyway... How do your clothes fit???

A Dress or Swimsuit will have a Size on it...based on the shape of your body... not a "weight".

oh, also...Try to eat Raw, whole foods...Veggies and High Fiber Fruit, and TRY to stay away from processed foods...
    I know is sounds like preaching....but truthfully...your body needs to detox..... You will know what's in your meals if you make them yourself.....

Good Luck!!
  • anulle2009
    Options
    I'm a registered nurse and I would highly recommend getting your thyroid checked. If you have hypothyroidism it could be causing your weight loss issues. Yes, weight loss can slow down and processed foods, etc. are not good but it sounds to me like there must be something else going on.

I have had my thyroid check. I had it done about 4 months ago. So my thyroid I know is good.
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    Everyone here is right, its those frozen boxed dinners that are probably holding you up. I used to live on them, and then realized that 2 dollars for a frozen spaghetti dinner, or 5 dollars for a box of whole wheat pasta, tomatoes and seasonings. I would make a huge amount of homemade sauce, then split it into tupperware containers and freeze them. For less than 10 dollars I would have at least 10 frozen spaghetti dinners I loved so much. I actually save 1.00 a meal that way.

I started cooking turkey burgers, and putting them on whole wheat buns and freezing in containers. I basically make all my meals on Sunday and freeze them. Just like eating frozen meals you love, but cheaper and they don't have 1800mg of sodium :)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above poster. I knew from the way I felt that I was doing something wrong even though by logging it looked like I was doing everything right. I started actually measuring again, and yep - suddenly what I was logging as 1 serving was actually more like 2 or 2 1/2. And that salad that I thought was "pretty healthy" at lunch when I sat down and actually figured the calories in it was more like a 550 calorie lunch - not the 250 or 300 I was logging it as. Also, you might find the post on refiguring the goals in MFP that another member posted this morning. I'm going to try it that way for a month and see what happens. Also, yest the processed foods make a huge difference. I went on the Jay Robb Fat Burning Diet about 3 years ago and he advocates eating clean, whole natural foods and I was really surprised at how much processed foods I was eating. I followed his plan and it really wasn't that hard to change to whole foods even eating out - a chicken salad and a baked potato from Wendy's was right on his plan. Now I'm trying to get back on that wagon again!!