Couch to 5K

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has success using the apt Couch to 5K? I'm talking to all the beginners who have had success in running a 5K

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on the forums seem to have used c25k...

ETA: I was trying to give you a list of the c25k threads that come up with a search but it wouldn't let me. If you hit search and type in c25k or couch to 5 k, several threads come up that you might find of interest. :0)
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    I started it back in October and run a 31:15 5k now. I had basically 0 running experience prior, but I would fit it other ways
  • f15htank
    f15htank Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i did yea. it's painful still but it gets you there. there's also couch to 10k if you're interested, i dunno how good it is though.
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    i did yea. it's painful still but it gets you there. there's also couch to 10k if you're interested, i dunno how good it is though.

I'll look into that! I have a 5k coming up in 2 months, but I believe the registration is interchangable with the 10k since it's at the same start time and place
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i could barely run 30 seconds, now i run 5ks few times a week and my first race in may! i owe it to c25k, amazing program...just stick with the schedule!!
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    I used the app and the program to start by never running anything in my life and I was able to run several 5ks after completeing the program -- I completely endorse this method..
  • gem_angel
    Options
    i'm doing it now. i started barely being able to run around the block, but i ran 25 minutes straight today, and it felt awesome! i would def recommend it, what have you got to lose?
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I found it really helped to reach my running goals. It really works.
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started using the app last year, completed the 6 week program and started running 5k races! I have enjoyed it so much I started on the "ease into 10k" program which takes you from 5k to 10k...I have now completed a couple of 10k's. I have done this from not being a runner at all...I definately reccomend it!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k last year and ran my first 5k in May. I now run over 3 miles several times a week and am aiming for a 36 min 5k in a few weeks. Awesome program! Just stick to it, you'll amaze yourself.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow! :smile: Is is sad I'm excited? x
  • londoncanuck
    londoncanuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this programme! All you do is plug it in, press start and do whatever the voice tells you. Brilliant for those of us who hate thinking. I'm only on week 3 but so far its been challenging but manageable. I've done other walk to run programmes in the past (but ones where I had to keep track on a watch myself) and they really do take you from walking to running. Good luck!
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am on week 8 this week and even did 35 min run, I came from a completely non running back ground, never did it as a child (or adult), would hate it, get stitch if I tried and get winded badly. However I have done a lot of hiking, esp uphill and general walking.

When I started the program I would be really out of breath after my runs, my heartrate would be up around 180, now I can run at a speed of 10 km/hr on a treadmill with a 2 degree incline for around 30 min, and on the road I average around 11km/hr for my runs. My heartrate now stays around 160-170. I am training for a 7 km run at the end of February and want to continue to run and do a half marathon next year. I must say it is still a struggle and challenge to finish each run, and would love to be able to start to introduce speed intervals but I don't think I am quite there yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will continue to get easier as I get better.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I did C25K back in July, i could barely walk about you mind run. Now i run 3 to 4 times a week and Training for both a half marathon (goal just to complete it) and a 10K (goal to sub 1 hour) both in March. It really works, running is hard at first but it gets easier and addictive. There is alot of enjoyment and great health benifits in running. Best of luck! :)
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It is a great plan! It will be hard, but you can do it! If I did it, I know you can do it!
  • mdbamfp
    Options
    how funny, I'm about to go on one of my C25K runs in a couple mins. 5m warm up 10min run- 3min walk- 10min run.

great program to throw you back into exercising.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I did Couch to 5K last May (started on 23rd, to be precise :smile: ) I was 100% a non-runner, hated the very idea. The only reason I did it is because I read someplace that running is good for targeting the lower abs. I remember distinctly not even being able to finish the first 60 second run....!!!

C25K is brilliant. Since completing the programme I have run 3 5K races (best time just under 27 mins), joined a club and have my first half marathon in March. Go for it!
  • Gidge2222
    Options
    I used the Couch to 5k to train for a 5k that was in October. It worked really well!! I plan on using it again when I start running again (right now I am doing Turbo Fire!)
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have just completed Week 4!

I haven't been using the App, as I don't have a compatible phone, but I just used a copy of the programme schedule from the internet, and made up my own iPod playlists to run to, using the times given.

I really would recommend doing it. It's hard going at times, but it really does do a great job of easing you in.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend this program. I've been working on it for a few months now and am almost done. I repeated several of the harder days until I felt good about them and then moved on. I didn't really mind it taking longer than 8 weeks, I just wanted to finish. Now I really enjoy running and look forward to my run days.