workout hangover?

Options
after an intense evening workout, I'll wake up the next morning with a "hangover"... dull headache, stuffy head, groggy.. I would think it's dehydration, but I will drink a good 32-48 ounces of water before bed. Even to the point of having to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Is there something else that my body might be missing? Salts? Proteins? Carbs?

Replies

• csturchio
    Options
    I'm not a physician, but I have read that too MUCH water can also cause an imbalance of water:sodium in the body (just like too little water can do this) - so it could be a sodium issue. Also, it's important to hydrate before and during exercise......not just after. Maybe try to space out your fluid intake in this way. Or try an electrolyte sports drink before the workout. Good luck
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I get workout hangovers have one today! I try to drink just a glass of water (only 2 cups - 16 ounces) otherwise I think you might be flushing your system too much but I honestly am not a professional. I didn't drink my glass last night and - hangover.
  • mrsjefa
    mrsjefa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    this happend to me after an intense class of Body Pump... the instructor recommended to eat something high in protein before a work out, there is also the gatorade recovery drink it helps me!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Hmmmmmm..... normally a "workout hangover' would have to do with DOM, delayed onset of muscle soreness. It doesn't sound like you are experiencing that. It is possible that you are drinking too much water and not getting in enough electrolytes (sodium/potassium). I would try the sports drink instead of water and see if it makes a difference......or ......... you can pick up some sports gels (look at the ingredients and I would avoid the ones with caffeine for your purposes) and try having a couple during your workout, keeping your water the same. I like Clif Bloks the best bot there are all types.
    There also could be something in the location you work out in that you are having a reaction to, or an allergy of some sort.
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    doubt it's location-related, as I also suffered from it back in my 30s when I played basketball at night.. Completely different place.. unless it's dust related which is something that's pretty much unavoidable...

I was trying to avoid the Gatorade type drinks due to the calories..
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    doubt it's location-related, as I also suffered from it back in my 30s when I played basketball at night.. Completely different place.. unless it's dust related which is something that's pretty much unavoidable...

I was trying to avoid the Gatorade type drinks due to the calories..

The gels I use are only 20 cals. You could also try having a banana before bed. That will take care of the potassium issue, if there is one. It certainly won't hurt, anyway. It's just odd because your symptoms sound more like an allergic reaction or cold related symptoms. Maybe a hot shower plus the above mentioned possible things to try,