Question???

Options
When you work out on a machine like an elliptical or a treadmill, do you log the actual calories the machine says you burn or do you just use the generic mfp number?? I normally just use the generic but there is a major difference from what the machine says to what I log, for example last night the elliptical said I burned 792 and mfp was only 377 for the 35 minutes.

Also if you work out do you eat your extra calories or save them all?? Sometimes I burn about 800-900 calories and i eat some of it back so instead of 1200 I am eating around 1500-1600, but the rest are extra.

I am currently losing weight at a really good rate but i am afraid i am going to hit a plateau very soon so i want to make sure i am doing everything right to continue losing.

Thanks so much for you help, i could always use more friends on here.. the more encouragement the better!!!!

Replies

• LBachynsky
    Options
    Your best measuring device for calorie burn is a HRM. Everyone will agree. I never use the eliptical, but have heard others say that the eliptical always seems to double the amount of calories compared to their HRM. Don't trust it.

I don't eat back the calories, but that works for me. If eating them back works for you, stick to it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Go with the lower number - it just sounds about right.
    A sure way to self-sabotage is over estimating our calorie burn.

I had to tweak my own numbers to find that zone as well.
    It's all just an educated guess.

Good Luck!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout so I dont rely on the machines to tell me how many calories I am burning. Also MFP is way off as far as calories burned too, so the most reliable source is going to a HRM.

As far as eating exercise calories, there is no way that I could eat back ALL of exercise calories. With my workouts, MFP is telling me I need to eat 2700-3200 calories. I usually stay between 2100-2300 calories at the end of the day. I eat every 2.5-3 hours. For me personally, I would rather know that I could eat more food and still lose weight than try and starve myself by eating only 1200 calories per day. I cant imagine eating that little calories. I would be starving. But that is just me.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor to be the most accurate. Both machines and MFP are off but the machines are more accurate than MFP.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'd also go with the lower number. Obviously it depends on your personal stats but I know for me I burn (very roughly) 100 cals in 10mins when I'm exercising hard enough to work up a bit of a sweat (that's from my HRM).

As for eating the exercise cals - I didn't to start with and lost steadily, hit a plateau for about a month and only got out of it when I started eating back 80% + of my exercise cals. It would seem for me that my net calorie intake was way too low to sustain my daily activities and exercise, but it kickstarted the weight loss nicely once I started eating more. I also feel better - more energy etc.
    But if it's working, then I wouldn't bother changing anything, just be aware that it may well help if you slow down.

Also lots of people seem to say that eating the same amount of cals daily, and the same exercise can sometimes slow your loss as your body gets used to what you are putting it through. Some people make a point of zig-zagging calorie intake over the week and mixing in different work out routines.
  • hollyjo21
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great advice. How expensive is a HRM and which ones are good??
  • hollyjo21
    Options
    Kinda new to this, not sure how you reply to specific answers...
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great advice. How expensive is a HRM and which ones are good??

Kind of depends on what features you want. One that just measures HR and calculates out calories etc. can be found a local sporting goods store for less than $50. Good brand is Polar. If you plan on running and doing other outdoor activities and want a GPS function they're $100-$700+. I'd stick to Garmin here.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options

That's what I do. I wear a heart monitor, track on the machine, and then compare all three (including what MFP estimates) and go with the one with the lowest cals burned.
    Also, I am an exorcise calorie eater. I have more energy to weight train, for cardio and just in general when I eat them back. I start at 1200, most days I burn between 600 and 800 (except leg day, then it's closer to 1200) but when the day is over, after all meals and exorcise, I am still right around 1200 netted calories for the day. I wouldn't be able to get through a workout if I ate any less.
    When you hit that plateau....change your routine. Increase the resistance, or weight. Do more intense workouts. That should give your body a little kickstart. My husband and I have also learned that a short rest period also confuses your body into getting back on track. Every couple of months, we take a week off from the gym. When we go back, we have more energy, lift more weight, etc. By no means is this week an excuse for us to go buck wild, we still maintain a healthy diet.
    I hope my rambling helps! :)
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My elliptical shows that I burn about 850 calories in an hour and my Polar heart rate monitor says I only burn about 550 per hour.
    I was kind of discouraged to find out I wasn't burning all of those calories but I am glad I know what I am actually burning!
    I got the Polar FT7 and I love it!
  • hollyjo21
    Options

That's what I do. I wear a heart monitor, track on the machine, and then compare all three (including what MFP estimates) and go with the one with the lowest cals burned.
    Also, I am an exorcise calorie eater. I have more energy to weight train, for cardio and just in general when I eat them back. I start at 1200, most days I burn between 600 and 800 (except leg day, then it's closer to 1200) but when the day is over, after all meals and exorcise, I am still right around 1200 netted calories for the day. I wouldn't be able to get through a workout if I ate any less.
    When you hit that plateau....change your routine. Increase the resistance, or weight. Do more intense workouts. That should give your body a little kickstart. My husband and I have also learned that a short rest period also confuses your body into getting back on track. Every couple of months, we take a week off from the gym. When we go back, we have more energy, lift more weight, etc. By no means is this week an excuse for us to go buck wild, we still maintain a healthy diet.

Right now I am struggling if I should be working out everyday as I have been or not. It seems to be working for me and I am not sore but I have read that its bad to work out everyday because you lose muscle mass.. what do you think??
  • hollyjo21
    Options
    My elliptical shows that I burn about 850 calories in an hour and my Polar heart rate monitor says I only burn about 550 per hour.
    I was kind of discouraged to find out I wasn't burning all of those calories but I am glad I know what I am actually burning!
    I got the Polar FT7 and I love it!

Wow thats a pretty big difference, I will look into buying one, but for now will just stick to what I have been doing and using the lower number which is always MFP number..
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Right now I am struggling if I should be working out everyday as I have been or not. It seems to be working for me and I am not sore but I have read that its bad to work out everyday because you lose muscle mass.. what do you think??
    I workout 6 days each week, and I stick with what produces results - not what some theorize might happen.
    It sounds like you're getting results, so keep punching!

I change up my specific exercises every few weeks as well just to stay ahead of my body's attempt to make life too easy.
  • LBachynsky
    Options

Kind of depends on what features you want. One that just measures HR and calculates out calories etc. can be found a local sporting goods store for less than $50. Good brand is Polar. If you plan on running and doing other outdoor activities and want a GPS function they're $100-$700+. I'd stick to Garmin here.
    Also make sure to get the type that has a chest strap. They are more accurate.