Protein

Options
I'm looking for ways to incorporate more protein into my diet. I'm not really fond of meat or most types of nuts, and my stomach can't tolerate beans. I'm thinking the best option, for my situation, is to add protein powder to things I'm already eating.

Have any of you ever tried protein powder in oatmeal? If so, how was it? What are some other things I could add it to?

Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Bump
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to smoothies, cakes, cookies! It's all a bit experimentational for me but there's a few threads with recipes floating around here :)
  • AmyLeeHughes
    AmyLeeHughes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla protein powder in my oatmeal sometimes and it's delicious! I like it in plain oatmeal with some berries. Then you don't have to add anything else besides the water. It's even better with vanilla almond milk though. You will have to add more liquid than it typically says however. :) You should try it! yum!

Another thing you can do is have a protein shake as a drink with a meal. Do it with water and you've got your water intake, and also a good dose of protein.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My main protein staple is fish. Tilapia, flounder,salmon are my favs. I bake it seasoned a million different ways. I do protein shakes also and their lean so you get more bang for your buck.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I could definitely do fish. I'm just not fond of red meat or pork, and I'm getting tired of chicken.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Get some optimum nutrition whey protein and some plain greek yogurt. Add 1 scoop of whey to about 8oz of greek yogurt, stir. Add something else in like mixed berries/etc.

...and eat fish too...
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork either and red meat sparingly for some reason I feel so heavy after I eat it so I try to avoid it. Fish has more protein I think the protein matrix may be fish, turkey, chicken, red meat, then chicken.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I don't eat pork either and red meat sparingly for some reason I feel so heavy after I eat it so I try to avoid it. Fish has more protein I think the protein matrix may be fish, turkey, chicken, red meat, then chicken.

It causes the same feeling for me. I'll definitely be buying more fish in the future. Thanks!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been on a fish and greek yogurt kick for the last few days, I mix tuna/ salmon or even tofu with 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, some salsa, and some banana peppers or peppercinis. It is really fantastic. i made it one time with a can of tuna as a last minute dinner and it had over 80 grams of protein and only 425 calories, so fish is a lean way to get more protein. I have been using greek yogurt as i would mayo, in tuna salad, edge salad, and deviled eggs, and it is delicious!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lentils? Beluga Lentils are SUPER high in protein. I get mine from Trader Joe's.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Have you tried lentils? Beluga Lentils are SUPER high in protein. I get mine from Trader Joe's.

Honestly, never! How are they taste-wise?
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A good shake can give you up to 50g of protein. I drink 3 of these a day just to hit my macro on top of meats and legumes.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    as I type I'm drinking a shake here's what I put in it, it is a HIGH cal shake so it might take a ton of your daily allowance. I love Reeses and this tastes just like it. My goal is right now to gain muscle which explains high cal intakes.

2 scoops chocolate protein powder (52g protein)
    2 Tbsp peanut butter (7g protein)
    8oz 1% milk (8g protein)
    4oz water/ice

total 560 cal, 26g carb, 23g fat, 67g protein and taste really good if you like Reeses. If you want less Cal replace milk with water and 1 scoop powder 1 tbsp PB
  • betsie_n
    betsie_n Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think I need more protein, too. I tend to meet my calorie quota each day, but I keep going under on protein (and carbs and fat, too). My weight loss as stalled, so I think I need to make some changes.

I eat very little meat - just some chicken - and have been very focused on adding a lot of veggies and fruit to my diet. I like fish, but I live in a very rural area where it's impossible to get fresh fish so it's just not as yummy frozen. Shrimp is my favorite standby as it's ok tasting after freezing.

I do like beans, so I appreciate the reminder to add more of those, but I'll pass on protein powder because I want to learn to get my nutrition from my food. Other ideas? Should I focus more on upping my protein and less on keeping within the calorie range - or is there a better way to balance both?
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    I like optinum nutrition whey protein as well, I drink several shakes a day, sometimes with water and with skim milk after workouts for the carbs.... I dont like beans and can't eat much red meat as well.... so I've found the shakes really help me to get my protein level to the 150-175 grams I need every day!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Oatmeal+chocolate protein powder=YUM!

Greek yogurt+chocolate protein powder=YUM!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love to eat Greek yogurt and boiled eggs. I love to eat eggs. They have healthy fats,lots of protein and I have plenty of them. (We have chicken and ducks that lay) And they do not increase your cholesterol like most people think.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in regular quick oats is excellent! Add a tbsp of peanut butter as well or some raspberries, I find those 2 ingredients are the most flavourful and fragrant that when you add the boiling water, others around you can smell the deliciousness!

I use 1/2 a scoop of pp with 1/2 cup of quick oats + 1/8 cup frozen raspberries + 1 packet of sweetener.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Seafood FTW
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Oatmeal+chocolate protein powder=YUM!

Greek yogurt+chocolate protein powder=YUM!

I have chocolate at home. I am definitely doing this!