Body frame vs weight

Options
This morning my friend told me my goal weight is ridiculous because I'm 5'7 with a wide chest and body frame and 140 would not look right on me.
That kinda threw me off so the question is what does body frame have to do with weight and weight loss?

Replies

• Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

Bottom line, at least to me,weight loss is a personal goal. Who cares what your friend says if you are happy. The real kicker is that if you lose weight and don't like your body it is fairly easy to gain.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think your goal weight of 140 would be to small for your height. Do what you want to do. Thats why I dont share my goals all the time because people seem to have unsolicated advice. I am 5'61/2 and my goal weight is 135. Today I am at 137.0 and I look good at this size.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Your frame can play a large role in determining a goal weight. 2 people can be the same height, but have drastically different bone structure in regards to shoulder width, pelvic width, wrist size etc. At identical weights & body composition, they are going to have 2 very different looks to them.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think weight and size are 2 different things. I weigh 145 on a 5'4 frame and wear a 6 or an 8. I have a lot of muscle tone though. I wear the same size I wore 12 lbs lighter several years ago. I look thinner though I weigh more. My friends/co-workers keep asking me how much I have lost since Thanksgiving and it is only 7.5 lbs but with the heavy weight lifting it looks like a whole lot. So weight doesn't matter as much if you are "thin".
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    your body frame has to do with the size of your bones, the bigger they are the heavier they will be and therefor you will weigh more.

I wear a size 8, my measurements are
    chest 38", 36D
    waist 26"
    hip 38"
    height 5'4"
    and I weigh 170 lbs. My wrists are 7.5" wide and apparently according to my doc that means I have a very large frame size bringing me in to my normal weight range even @ 170 lbs.

I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that when a person is overweight, their frame tends to look larger than it actually is. The subcutaneous fat pushes the rib cage out larger and wider, and makes the frame look larger. In short, I once thought I had a large frame, but it turns out I was just fat. :tongue:
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are about the same height - she's 5'8" and I'm 5'9". She's got an amazing figure and weighs somewhere around 147lbs - for my body to *look* the same as hers I'd need to weigh at least 10lbs lighter...I've got a dinky frame and hers is more of a medium frame.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It makes a huge difference. On some people who are 5'7", 140 makes them look anorexic -- visible ribcage. On other people they might look like Marilyn Monroe, and someone else might look like an athlete with lots of definition.

It really depends on how your body distributes fat and muscle. So I think focuses on muscle tone and shape is better than a number on the scale, especially as you get closer to your goal. I know plenty of tall people who look healthy and fit at 170.
  • tunestra
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I currently weigh 185lbs. It sucks....... I'm trying to lose right now and I seem to be stuck! I have always struggled with weighing more than other women. I think I have a medium to large frame..... but I'm also more of an athletic build. The good thing is that when I gain, I gain it all over so I can carry it ok..... but a few years ago I got down to 140. I felt awesome but it was super hard to maintain. I swear my body wants to be around 160lbs all the time. I'm also currently in a size 10 right now.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and trying to get to 135. It's hard to say what the proper goal is when you are still far from your goal--you will know what you can do and what looks right on your frame when you get close. Don't worry about what your friend says in the meantime.
  • cquaddum
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and was slim for many years (didn't quite fit in a 2, but 4s were comfortable with a little room). I have large bones, have never found a bangle bracelet that would fit over my hand, and broad shoulders/chest. I weighed 147 when I was the size I described, and my husband used to worry that I was too thin. Hope this helps!
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It makes a huge difference. On some people who are 5'7", 140 makes them look anorexic -- visible ribcage. On other people they might look like Marilyn Monroe, and someone else might look like an athlete with lots of definition.

It really depends on how your body distributes fat and muscle. So I think focuses on muscle tone and shape is better than a number on the scale, especially as you get closer to your goal. I know plenty of tall people who look healthy and fit at 170.

I agree, a long time ago i weighed 145 lbs, after a long bout of glandular fever, and everyone thought I was too thin, I couldn't lie on my stomach because of my hips and ribs digging into the bed, I am 5'7". Unfortunately I went to the other extreme and weigh far too much!!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting well I guess I have to wait and see
  • Lushcious
    Options
    I am large framed as well.They used my wrists and ankles to measure.I'm 5'5.People always think i weigh less than i really do.I guess thats a good thing.But it has taking me alot of years to understand that its ok for me to weigh more because of my frame.When i gain weight its all over.When i lose its all over.My lowest weight after having kids was 129lbs.And everyone and i mean everyone who knew me started to think i was sick.I was in a size 4 sometimes a 2.I still thought i was fat until i saw some pictures of myself and i was like Whoa i look horrible.So for me i feel and look best between 150-160.So thats where i'm trying to get back to now.That usually puts me in a size 6 or 8 and that's in junior clothes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same way, I'm not very tall, but have always been "Big Boned" I've learned in my weightloss journey, that the differences really aren't there. That said - when I was 10 lbs above my goal weight, everyone thought I looked great. At my goal weight, no one really noticed that I'd lost those 10 extra lbs but me - now 10lbs under my goal weight, which I never thought I'd ever get to at my age, I get told "you're too skinny". But - I'm still on the "mid" range of normal for BMI. So I really don't think that frame/bone size has much to do with it, other than the way clothes fit.
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    frame absolutely has an influence!! your frame is defined by your bone structure. there's nothing you can realistically do to change your frame. moreover, bone has mass, so that contributes to weight.

that being said, don't use a frame as an excuse. get to a weight that looks good on your personal frame.

the problem with people focusing on the number of the scale is that they forget to take things very important things into context: the width of their frame, the height of their frame, and their muscle tone. muscle weighs more than fat does. as such, a person can weigh even 15lbs more than a second person; however, those 15lbs may be muscle, causing that first person to look and feel better.

don't let a number define you or your fitness plans. do what makes your body feel good.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Your frame can play a large role in determining a goal weight. 2 people can be the same height, but have drastically different bone structure in regards to shoulder width, pelvic width, wrist size etc. At identical weights & body composition, they are going to have 2 very different looks to them.
    I totally agree with this.
  • Lushcious
    Options
    I totally agree with this.

Excatly.I have been same size as a friend but weighed 20lbs.more than her!!Same height about and wore the same size.I used to be so upset like Why do i weigh so much more?Now i know its bone structure and possibly more muscle.
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with every one. it does matter, and it's hard to tell what your goal really should be. just keep going for your goal, if you think you look to skinny and sick then gain some back, it's easy to do.
    I am 5,7 and 130LBs, i am still not at my goal, i am slim but i think i have small bones, my sister is like 110 or 115lbs, and we have the same size wrist, and neck so i think i can get down to 125, or 120, with out looking sick. but we never know till we get to the goal.
    don't listen to some people, some are just jealous that you are losing weight and they are scared that you are going to look better than them too. i get alot of people who keep telling me i should not lose any more, but i look at pictures i look slim but i still could lose a few pounds. but not to much, and tone up. so work out, keep eatting healthy, drink lots of water and you should be okay.
    good luck!
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump