easy exercise fo the old ones?

Options
im 54 and work long days,, I want to excercise, something EASY but with age aches and pains,, any one out ther have any idid's for me please and thank you???

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 last year, so I hear you on the old aching bones!

Gentle forms of dance are great fun - Scottish Country dancing is one of my favourites, but line dancing isn't too hard to master either.

Walking, especially hill-walking, burns loads of calories.

And swimming - my Mum and Dad, now in their 70s and with artificial hips and knees, go swimming once a week.
  • ncook1970
    Options
    Yoga! There's Gentle Yoga to get started, regular Yoga, and Power Yoga and many different forms in between. I would suggest finding Yoga Studio to discuss what is best for you. I'm not very experienced at it, so I prefer doing Yoga in a class setting instead of trying to figure out what's going on myself.

Dr. Oz recommends EVERYONE incorporate Yoga regularly into their routine for all kinds of health benefits including calorie burning, strengthening (esp. the core) and meditation (which by the way I am reading lately that yoga helps for more mindful eating...aka more weight loss!)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I second yoga - find a nice beginner yoga to start. Help limber things up a bit and prevent injury. Sara Ivanhoe Yoga Body Makeover is a series of (5) 20 minute yoga routines pluas a 40 minute stability ball workout. She's very down to earth, girl next door type. Crunch Candlelight Yoga is also beginnerish.

Also, if you are looking for some low impact cardio - Leslie Sansone Walk at Home is great. Her newer videos are chaptered, so you can do as much (or little) as you like. Her moves are very simple so it's easy to modify the moves down or up as needed. Great for beginners or (up to) intermediate. Lots of freebies on YouTube, or videos sold at Target, Walmart, etc. Here's a video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

collagevideo.com is great for video clips & reviews. It will help sort out fitness and impact level. Reviews also tell you if equipment is required.
  • jmart53
    jmart53 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm 53 have a bad knee and arthritis in my back so I'm in the same boat as far as long work days and pain.
    I do a brisk walk every night even if it's just for 10 minutes. But exercising in the pool is great and you will put less stress on
    your bones. I will even Put on a good radio station and just dance in my livingroom, get your husband or kids to join in, it's fun.
    Good Luck
  • CountryGal2
    CountryGal2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Y offers lots of programs for older adults. You will find people just like you there & not feel awkward with too many young bodies to look at. My Y offers Yoga, Senior Sneakers, and a variety of water aerobics that are great for aches and pains. As you exercise some of those pains should start to go away. The hours are flexible so check it out if you live near a Y.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    If you've got a lot of aches & pains it is probably best to check with your doctor before you start any program.

But if it's just age pains (which I'm starting to experience) then start walking. Get a GOOD pair of shoes because cheap shoes or shoes that don't fit will add pain so quickly you won't believe it! Start walking 10 minutes a day and build from that. Go up hills, go down hills ... just set a goal of walking every day.

Yoga is good, but if you're not flexible then take some time and build your way up.

Try some of the exercise videos out there. Challenge yourself, but go at your own pace. If you have an On-Demand feature on your tv see if your cable operator offers free exercise videos and try some at home.

Good luck!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is from a HSPH newsletter I received recently:
    8 simple steps to a healthier, stronger you
    When you hear the term “strength training,” perhaps you envision a bodybuilder with bulging biceps and rippling abdominal muscles. However, strength and power training can benefit people of all ages and athletic abilities — whether you are 40 or 85, well toned or unable to rise from a wheelchair without assistance. And while strength training can leave your body looking leaner and fitter, it need not make you look muscle-bound.
    Studies attest that strength training, as well as aerobic exercise, can help you manage and sometimes prevent conditions as varied as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and osteoporosis. But chief among its health benefits is its ability to protect vitality and make everyday tasks more manageable. Over the years, muscle tissue, bone density, and strength dwindle. So, too, does muscle power.
    These changes can make once-simple tasks like climbing a flight of stairs or carrying a bag of groceries difficult. By focusing on strengthening muscles you actually use to walk up stairs, rise from a chair, or lift laundry or groceries, the following exercises can help you target the specific muscles and moves needed for the tasks of daily life (or a sport) rather than just building up muscles in general.
    The exercises
    Before beginning the workout, complete a five- to 10-minute warm-up, such as walking briskly. As you perform each of these exercises, breathe out when you are lifting or pushing and breathe in as you release the muscle. Rest for one to two minutes between sets, and aim to complete two to three sets of each exercise.

1. Standing calf raise
    Exercises the calf muscles

Stand with your feet flat on the floor. Hold on to the back of your chair for balance. Raise yourself up on tiptoe, as high as possible. Hold briefly, then lower yourself. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Rest and repeat the set.

2. Chair stand
    Exercises the muscles of the abdomen, hips, front thighs, and buttocks

Place a small pillow at the back of your chair and position the chair so that the back of it is resting against a wall. Sit at the front of the chair, knees bent, feet flat on the floor and slightly apart. Lean back on the pillow in a half-reclining position with your arms crossed and your hands on your shoulders. Keeping your back and shoulders straight, raise your upper body forward until you are sitting upright. Stand up slowly, using your hands as little as possible. Slowly sit back down. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Rest and repeat the set.

3. Stair climbing
    Exercises the muscles of the front thighs and buttocks

Holding on to the handrail for balance if necessary, walk up and down a flight of at least 10 stairs at a pace that feels comfortable. Pause at the top only if you need to do so. Rest when you reach the bottom. Repeat four times.

4. Hip extension
    Exercises the muscles of the buttocks and back thighs

While wearing ankle weights, stand 12 inches behind a sturdy chair. Holding on to the back of the chair for balance, bend your trunk forward 45 degrees. Slowly raise your right leg straight out behind you. Lift it as high as possible without bending your knee. Pause. Slowly lower the leg. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Repeat with your left leg. Rest and repeat the sets.

5. Seated bridge
    Exercises the muscles of the back thighs, back, and buttocks

Sit slightly forward in a chair with your hands on the armrests. Your feet should be flat on the floor and slightly apart, and your upper body should be upright (don’t lean forward). Using your arms for balance only, slowly raise your buttocks off the chair until you are nearly standing, with your knees bent. Pause. Slowly sit back down. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Rest and repeat the set.

6. Biceps curl
    Exercises the front upper
    arm muscles

Sit in a chair. Hold weights down at your sides with your palms inward. Slowly bend one elbow, lifting the weight toward your upper chest. As you lift, keep your elbow close to your side and rotate your palm so it faces your shoulder. Pause. Slowly lower your arm, rotating it back again so you finish with your palm facing your thighs. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Repeat with your other arm. Rest and repeat the sets.

7. Triceps dip
    Exercises the muscles of the back upper arms, chest, and shoulders

Put a chair with armrests up against a wall. Sit in the chair and put your feet together flat on the floor. Lean forward a bit while keeping your shoulders and back straight. Bend your elbows and place your hands on the armrests of the chair, so they are in line with your torso. Pressing downward on your hands, try to lift yourself up a few inches by straightening out your arms. Raise your upper body and thighs, but keep your feet in contact with the floor. Pause. Slowly release until you’re sitting back down again. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Rest and repeat the set.

8. Curl-up*
    Exercises the central abdominal muscles

Lie on your back on a mat. Put your hands beneath the small of your back and bend both knees to help stabilize your spine. Slowly raise your head and shoulders just a few inches off the floor. Pause. Slowly lower your head and shoulders. Aim for eight to 12 repetitions. Rest and repeat the set.
    *If you have osteoporosis, talk to your doctor before trying this exercise. He or she may recommend that you avoid it.