vitamin B12.

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
everyone always talks about it, what does this vitamin do?

Replies

• megarooni
    megarooni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Regulates brain function.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Energy and Metabolism
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Function

Cofactor for methionine synthase

Methylcobalamin is required for the function of the folate-dependent enzyme, methionine synthase. This enzyme is required for the synthesis of the amino acid, methionine, from homocysteine. Methionine in turn is required for the synthesis of S-adenosylmethionine, a methyl group donor used in many biological methylation reactions, including the methylation of a number of sites within DNA and RNA (3). Methylation of DNA may be important in cancer prevention. Inadequate function of methionine synthase can lead to an accumulation of homocysteine, which has been associated with increased risk of cardiovascular diseases (diagram).

Cofactor for L-methylmalonyl-CoA mutase

5-Deoxyadenosylcobalamin is required by the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-methylmalonyl-CoA to succinyl-CoA. This biochemical reaction plays an important role in the production of energy from fats and proteins. Succinyl CoA is also required for the synthesis of hemoglobin, the oxygen carrying pigment in red blood cells (3).

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminB12/
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Weird that I saw this post - I've just been diagnosed with 'pernacious anemia' after I went to the doctor to get my thyroid checked (I've barely lost any weight and have been trying for SO long!). This form of anemia is due to my body not being able to absorb B12 from animal proteins and green leafy vegetables. So, I am now taking a fairly high oral dosage (1000mcg/day) and was told that I'll most likely need B12 injections, but I'm hoping that my body comes back to life soon!

My doctor told me that she hasn't seen such low B12 levels in someone in over 7 years! She asked me if I've been missing school and work lately and perplexed, I said "No, why?" She said that she's amazed that I can even get myself out of bed in the mornings due to the fatigue I must be experiencing - and I thought I just needed to switch from herbal tea to coffee! :)

If you have low B12 levels, you can experience fatigue, depression, moodiness, headaches, etc. (All of the usual side effects for most things I think!). Also, the doctor told me that my thyroid is 'okay' right now but because I had such low B12, it literally put my body, and all of it's metabolic functions, in slow motion.

Sidenote: I've also started taking a fairly large dose of Biotin. I've only heard good things about this vitamin and not only does it contribute to long and strong hair and nails, but it's supposed to aid in energy, metabolism and subsequently, weight loss.

Hope this helps!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Weird that I saw this post - I've just been diagnosed with 'pernacious anemia' after I went to the doctor to get my thyroid checked (I've barely lost any weight and have been trying for SO long!). This form of anemia is due to my body not being able to absorb B12 from animal proteins and green leafy vegetables. So, I am now taking a fairly high oral dosage (1000mcg/day) and was told that I'll most likely need B12 injections, but I'm hoping that my body comes back to life soon!

If you can't absorb it from food, your stomach won't be able to absorb it from pills either. You should get sublingual drops or lozenges or do the shots. I do a sublingual lozenge 3-4 days a week and don't have to mess with shots.
  • 4gr8kids
    Options
    Minor compared to actual medical problems, but taking a B complex supplement helps me with mood issues :)
  • nanners4853
    Options

My doctor told me that she hasn't seen such low B12 levels in someone in over 7 years! She asked me if I've been missing school and work lately and perplexed, I said "No, why?" She said that she's amazed that I can even get myself out of bed in the mornings due to the fatigue I must be experiencing - and I thought I just needed to switch from herbal tea to coffee! :)

If you have low B12 levels, you can experience fatigue, depression, moodiness, headaches, etc. (All of the usual side effects for most things I think!). Also, the doctor told me that my thyroid is 'okay' right now but because I had such low B12, it literally put my body, and all of it's metabolic functions, in slow motion.

Sidenote: I've also started taking a fairly large dose of Biotin. I've only heard good things about this vitamin and not only does it contribute to long and strong hair and nails, but it's supposed to aid in energy, metabolism and subsequently, weight loss.

Hope this helps!

I have the same problem and my doctor said the same. He was shocked that I could make it through the day on a regular basis. High dosages of B12 orally most likely wont help to start. I have injections every 2 weeks, i do them myself but you can get your doctor or nurse to do it, then every 6 months get my levels checked again, if they stay up for a while with longer times in between shots I can switch to the oral vitamins. Try getting the shots because you will notice a drastic difference within the first 2 days. I hate needles but I wouldnt trade my B12 shots for anything.

Good Luck with everything. Hope your problem gets better.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I get the shot monthly myself. I just go in and have my doctor's nurse do it.