Insulin Pump and Weight Loss?

Options
Any other type I diabetics using an insulin pump out there? I'd love to share info, experience.

Martin

Replies

• straykatze
    Options
    Yep, right here :)
  • Nikorasu
    Options
    Here's another one! :smile:
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Martin, Im a type 1 but don't use a pump. I was diagnosed in 1973, have had several different endos, many problems ie ketoacidosis too many times to remember & then many years of lows (having to call 911 when nothing brought me around) & not once has a pump ever been suggested. I have been wondering if there are some benefits to a pump. All my MFP type 1 friends have pumps & still have problems with highs & lows. I thought a pump would stop that from happening. I guess I want to know if a pump is better than 4 injections a day & accucks every 2 hrs. Does a pump & CGM allow you to not stick yourself so many times a day? I need some opinions & input on pumps & CGMs.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks,
    Diane
  • tlbyaya
    Options
    I too have a pump and CGM that I just started using in November. I am still trying to get used to it after 38 yrs of shots. Let me know if I can help or share what I am learning.
    Theresa
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here!!
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Me too!
  • SJWojo
    SJWojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Using the Paradigm pump but don't care to use the CGM. I don't know how I managed without the pump but ... I must have done something right because I have been insulin dependent for more than 50 years and, except for the normal issues an "older" person deals with, I am fairly healthy.
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Me, me me!! I'm on an insulin pump and am doing a low carb diet because carbs do not agree with me! It's worked wonders and I've never felt better!! Feel free to add me everyone!
  • ztaprincess81
    ztaprincess81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am on the paradigm pump and CGM and have been on a Minimed pump since 1999. It is a great tool to use, and the minimed website allows you to download your pump info including CGM numbers to help you track whats going on and wear to make bolus/basal changes. It also has a feature that warns you if your trends appear to be dropping or elevating your BS rapidly. I have severe episodes of hypoglycemia so the CGM has been a lifesaver literally. It also helped me while I was pregnant and my A1C's are in the low 6's.
    There is an awesome website called Type 1 University where you can take online classes/lectures to provide more info that really helps. There is a lecture called Type 1 and Weightloss that I am really wanting to watch.
  • Goog2
    Goog2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too - I can give you great adviceon how to GAIN weight... but I struggle wtih the losing part too! :) I have been diabetic for 20 years (almost half my life) and on a pump for the last 10. Love my pump! But slowly gained weight over the past 10 years and need to lose it. I eat very healthy and I am fit. I can't think of any reason for my slow weight gain other than a slowing metabolism. I would love your advice on how we can increase ourmetabolism when we inject insulin. What's the best way for us diabetics to lose weight? Or are we any different than non-diabectics and I am just looking for excuses? Could be, but I sure hope not!!
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Hi there,

I just started my pump today! i have had type one diabetes for 12 years tho. today is my first day on pump, but I already LOVE it!!

I would love any of you to add me as a friend, i'm sure I will need help/ advice soon!!

thanks!