Celebration Eating?

Options
Who else does this? I am SO annoyed with myself. I am on this horrible cycle where I will do well for a few days and then see a loss and then I will celebrate by EATING CRAP. Then I will get discouraged. Eat more crap. Then I will resolve myself to try again. Its been like this for a few years now.

Does anyone have any positive self talk they could share or some advice on how to break this cycle?

Replies

• GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to do that all the time. Now, I just use MFP religiously. I still eat crap and that's something I'm going to have to work on cutting out eventually but I only eat crap if it is within my calorie allowance. Especially if you work out, it leaves you some calorie room for a wee cheeky bit of junk food.

I think if I didn't have a little bit of junk I'd end up just going off the rails completely. I've just had to learn that I only need one or two chocolates or one chocolate biscuit or whatever, rather than having three or four over the course of the day.
  • joyw37
    joyw37 Posts: 38
    Options
    I am guilty of this too. I am really trying to re-train myself to NOT reward myself with food for any reason. But unfortunately, food is the one thing i look forward to getting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've started rewarding myself with clothes instead of food. Or books. I tell myself that food lasts a few minutes and it's gone, but I can enjoy the other things over and over. I do go out to eat as celebration for other things (like anniversaries, etc) but I don't use food as a reward for healthy eating anymore.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Now thats a nice exchange. I have a kindle. I could buy a book for it instead of food. I may try that. Thanks!
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've started rewarding myself with clothes instead of food. Or books. I tell myself that food lasts a few minutes and it's gone, but I can enjoy the other things over and over. I do go out to eat as celebration for other things (like anniversaries, etc) but I don't use food as a reward for healthy eating anymore.

Fantastic Idea!! Thanks for sharing :D
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My motto is "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" so I repeat that to myself. I even have a little post it saying that on my cupboard where the less healthy foods are kept. I have a HUGE tote of amazing jeans in my closet that I haven't been able to fit into for years so I keep those in mind.

I will treat myself now and again because I know that if I deprive myself of certain foods and drinks I will binge on them at some point. I try to make healthier versions of whatever I want - chips, tacos, pizza etc so I can still have them.

The rewards I give myself for weight loss goals is:

- a new book
    - a new game for one of the game systems that I have
    - when I can fit into a pair of jeans that currently don't fit I will buy myself a new shirt to go with it

I reward myself with things besides food.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating "crap" as long as it is incorporated into an overall healthy diet. Heck, tomorrow I'm going to a party and I'm sure while there I'm going to have my share. I just need to keep it within a sensible level.
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's something I am focusing on myself. Every Friday I think I want to 'reward' myself and have a 'binge' day and eat all kinds of crap, but instead I have talked myself out of those binges by telling myself how cute I'm going to look this summer in all my new clothes! :) I even have some outfits in mind.
    Try going shopping and buy a new outfit the size your working towards. Hang it up where it's visable to you and everytime you think about eating something bad, take a look at that outfit. Bet you'll decide it's not worth it~
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    <
    see my profile pic!

Do not reward yourself with food..that is proper reward for dogs, not people!
    Instead, do something nice for yourself when you hit a goal..pedicure, manicure, a new piece of workout clothing or gear.....something to help keep you motivated and won't hurt you on the scale!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Don't use food as a reward. Buy something else - a new book, a new piece of workout wear, etc. Motivate yourself with rewards that perpetuate your good work and won't sabotage you.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I must be wired differently, because when I see that I've lost weight, well it just makes me want to go to the gym and work that much harder.
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel, not entertainment. We must never reward ourselves with food. We are not dogs. Having something sweet (or whatever) from time to time is normal. But, if it's something you cannot control once you start it's best to leave it out of your life.
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    <
    see my profile pic!

Do not reward yourself with food..that is proper reward for dogs, not people!
    Instead, do something nice for yourself when you hit a goal..pedicure, manicure, a new piece of workout clothing or gear.....something to help keep you motivated and won't hurt you on the scale!

Exactly.
  • feistymoon
    Options
    Leave it for two weeks before you weigh in next and see if not knowing if there is a loss or not makes a difference. If it does, then you know not to weigh in as frequently as you do
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have my goal jeans hanging up in my closet. I wish that I could put them on the fridge. I also need to hang a before picture of up of myself on the fridge. I carry that picture everywhere with me. It is on my profile also and it reminds me of where I came from and where I don't want to go back to. The food will just trigger off my brain to want more.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I must be wired differently, because when I see that I've lost weight, well it just makes me want to go to the gym and work that much harder.

same here
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have my goal jeans hanging up in my closet. I wish that I could put them on the fridge. I also need to hang a before picture of up of myself on the fridge. I carry that picture everywhere with me. It is on my profile also and it reminds me of where I came from and where I don't want to go back to. The food will just trigger off my brain to want more.

Take a picture of your goal jeans and stick that on the fridge instead?
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I could do that. The before picture really hits hard also.
  • ambut
    ambut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of reading that has helped me with this issue. Although I was never really a binge eater (like, getting sad and eating sleeve upon sleeve of cookies), I did use food in a way that was unhealthy. Even though I hated to admit it, I was your typical emotional eater. I read a book called "Food: The Good Girl's Drug" by Sunny Sea Gold, which chronicles her journey with binge/emotional over-eating, and also has a lot of strategies for how to get away from those habits. The journaling prompts at the end of each chapter were actually really helpful, even though I felt kind of lame doing them. After that book, I read two running-related books (one memoir and one very sarcastic training guide) that helped me focus on my exercise goals, and now I'm reading one called "Nice Girls Finish Fat". I just started so I can't speak to its quality yet, but I'm hoping it helps me continue my introspection and habit improvement.

The main thing for me was in treating my old habits like an addiction. It seems crazy to talk about Doritos and french fries and Mountain Dew like they're drugs, but that's how I used them. Even foods that aren't "bad"...if I could justify a reason for it, I ate it. To make myself happy, to celebrate being happy, to congratulate myself on doing well, to soothe myself after a bad day, to spoil myself on a weekend...whatever reason I could think of, I used it to justify to myself why I was eating take-out three and four days a week, getting McDonald's lunch almost every day, and drinking 500+ calories in sodas (or hot chocolates, milkshakes, etc.) a day. I have always been a picky eater (and still am, in the extreme), so that always made it easy to explain away horrible food choices ("the only thing I like here is the fried chicken!").

This website has helped me immensely in getting a handle on my caloric intake, the types of foods I'm eating, and what my eating habits are. I have come to understand my triggers better, avoid setting myself up for bad situations, and plan when I know that I won't be in control of food (like dinner at an unknown restaurant, or going to a family event with unknown food). I still eat "bad" things and sometimes I do still use food in unhealthy ways, but it's seriously rare that I do that. The rush of good feelings that food has always brought me is slowly getting replaced by the rush I feel when I see the scale numbers drop or I look at myself in the mirror or I bring two huge bags of stuff to Good Will because it just doesn't fit anymore. Although I don't think that everyone has a major psychological component to their struggles with weight, I know I did. I thought I wasn't trying hard enough, or didn't want it hard enough, or couldn't actually get below a certain size, or couldn't modify my limited diet and still lose weight. I blamed myself for repeatedly failing and gaining back the small amount of weight I had lost with each attempt. That guilt gave me all the more reason to eat.

Now, when a craving hits or I start heading to the kitchen at 9pm (not that night eating is so bad for you...that's a myth; it's not time of day, it's number of calories!), I stop myself and think "why do I really want this snack? Am I actually hungry, or am I just bored/annoyed/whatever?" Most of the time, I will realize that I ate a 600+ calorie meal only a few hours before and have given my body all the fuel it needs, so I will either grab a glass of water or just switch up whatever I'm doing so I can address the boredom issue. Before I started reading those books and counting my calories and really addressing my core issues, I wouldn't think to stop myself or analyze my actual needs. That's been the single most important step for me: Stop. Question. Analyze. Respond Appropriately. It's like the stop, drop, and roll of losing weight.
  • cmclearin
    Options
    Try manicures, pedicures, new hair style, anything you enjoy, but don't typically do for yourself. And it is important to include a small amount of "junk" food in your diet. If you completely stop eating the things you enjoy you'll end up over-indulging at some point (as you say is your cycle). Just make sure you manage it. I try never to end up working calories off that I've already eaten, but rather work out first so I can allow myself to have a cookie, etc. That way I won't eat it unless it's worth the exercise.