What's the best bread?

Options
I know bread will be one of the things to fall by the wayside as my healthy eating gradually improves, but rigt now I'm just not ready to give it up :smile:

At the minute I use Healthy Life 35 calorie, low carb bread. But I was wondering is there a better option on the supermarket shelves? I would actually take a few more calories in exchange for less processing and less sodium. Any ideas?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I like ezekial 4.9 whole grain bread but I dont eat bread very often
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My husband is on a low sodium diet, and we've started looking at the nutrition facts since we've started using this website at the beginning of this month. I switched from Friehoffer's 100% double fiber bread. to Arnold 100% wheat bread. Much less sodium and calories, while maintaining the nutritional value, and still tasty! I use it for toast for my daughter, and some sandwhiches.

Yet, if I am looking for something that's really "filling" - you know that meal where you feel truly satisfied, and you don't feel like your going to attack your refrigerator, or raid the pantry. I use the 6inch Submarine Wheat Rolls I found in the bakery section of my local Sam's Club. Very delicious when you stuff it full of fresh veggies. I hope this helps! :)
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    You don't have to give up bread, just make sure it's whole wheat!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

I was under the impression that Whole GRAIN was more important and that whole wheat was practically as processsed as regular white bread?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Alvarado St. Bakery Is organic, But I also eat, Pepperidge Farm Light Style, Thomas's Sahara Mini Pitas, Mission Carb Smart Tortilla's 6".
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I was under the impression that Whole GRAIN was more important and that whole wheat was practically as processsed as regular white bread?

you are correct. "whole wheat" does not mean the bread is "healthy" doesnt mean its bad either but it can still be over processed and full of crap. check the ingredients label.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options

you are correct. "whole wheat" does not mean the bread is "healthy" doesnt mean its bad either but it can still be over processed and full of crap. check the ingredients label.

Wheat bread is basically just white bread that has food coloring in it lol, CERTAIN whole wheat breads are great. Some whole grain breads just have added grains but still use white flour. Just check the labels like Dave says :D
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Wheat bread is basically just white bread that has food coloring in it lol, CERTAIN whole wheat breads are great. Some whole grain breads just have added grains but still use white flour. Just check the labels like Dave says :D

This^
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread

If you can get it, it's the best bread ever. Sprouted grain is my fav. I got in the Pac NW.

Now I live in England, cannot find a bread I like so I just don't eat bread. :(
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't make it yourself the best I have tasted is the Ezekial bread. If you can buy your own wheat and grind it yourself - that way you have whole grain bread and you know exactly what ingredients are going in. I made whole grain cookies, bread, muffins, and add it to soup and stews. You can soak it to make wheat berries and add that or make it into a cereal.
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pumpernickel! Defo the healthiest bread ever :)
    54.jpg

If you don't know what kind of bread it is check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I'm not a Dietitian but...

Sprouted whole grain, rice breads, and spelt. Whole wheat bread is treated like sugar when metabolized.
  • Morganjannelle
    Options
    I don't eat much bread but when I do I try to just eat the weight watchers whole wheat type.

WW_Whole-Wheat2_lg.jpg

labelL438811.gif
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't going to be a nutritional powerhouse no matter what kind you get.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread == LOVE
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread == LOVE

glad you like my bread:wink:
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread very often anymore either but I just got into the Fold It artisan flatbreads. I buy the 5 Grain Flax. For one flatbread (which can be folded for one sandwich) is 90 calories. 2.5 grams of fat. 15 grams of carbs. And 7 grams of protein.

They taste pretty good too and you only need one flatbread to make a sandwich, a pizza, grilled cheese, etc.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like ezekial 4.9 whole grain bread but I dont eat bread very often

Ditto... they have english muffins, pitas, wraps, etc. Definatly my go to bread when I'm craving a sandwich

P28 also has a new high protein bread, i've not tried it yet but I've heard good things about it!