Alcohol

Options
Hey there!
I'm sure I'm not the only one dieting that loves to hang out and have a couple.
The friends that I have drink probably 4 days out of the week. While I don't, I probably still drink 1 day out of the week...
Also, I know it sounds stupid but I don't want to just drink a 60 calorie beer and stop there. I like to get a little tipsy. =]
Is it okay to limit your food intake so you can have calories to waste? I figure if I only eat around 500-600 calories I'm fine to drink as much as I want, while still maintaining. Even if it does equal out to 1200 calories, will it eventually make me gain?

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive but it might. Alcoholic beverages are usually empty calories.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've heard that alcohol slows your metabolism, and causes water retention/bloating. Plus it makes you hungrier. Now, none of those seems like an insurmountable problem, and I don't think they'd make you permanently gain, but they'll slow it down to some extent.
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also hang out with a crowd of drinkers. I always make sure that if there are plans to drink, I eat lower calorie meals throughout the day, and jump on the elliptical. I am not a lightweight by any means, but what I've found what works for me is shots of captain morgans spiced, chased with diet pepsi, or pepsi max. There is only 60 cals per shot, and none in the chaser. I used to drink more than half a 2/6 to be drunk, but now, having eaten less during the day, I find I can have 6-10oz and be great. So I'll save like 600 cals for the night, a little more if going somewhere that I know will have snacks.
    As far as making you gain weight eventually, or if it's even that good for you, I have no idea. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks lol. I have lost 5lbs, and haven't changed my drinking habits too much, but I guess only time will tell.

I know there will be lots of posts saying just dont drink, but wheres the fun in that!
  • staci_nicole
    Options
    In a way, I think it's better to allow yourself to.
    If I hadn't had anything to drink at all this month, and just watched my friends, I may have fell off of the diet from feeling so deprived.
    Captain Morgan is my favorite, and I can stomach Diet Pepsi. I guess I never thought of a diet chaser. That's better than beer by far!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gave up during the week...Dh and I love our beer. but on the weekends will be our time to let go. I think one or two days a week isn't a big deal if you dont mind losing a bit slower. Alcohol is an empty calorie- on the other hand I found becks light 64 calories pretty good better than the other water/beers that are low in calories..hope this helps.
    take care
    Good luck!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think it's very smart or safe to not eat properly throughout the day just so there are calories left to drink. Eat well throughout the day, get some added exercise in and have a few drinks if you really want to ... if you go over your calorie limit for the day don't sweat it. Going over is better than drinking with barely eating throughout the day for me.

However, I'd rather not drink and just have a diet coke or something like that than drink a bunch of drinks. I still go out with my friends... I still have a drink or two but I don't go overboard.
  • gregersons
    gregersons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally can't work out (heart condition) so what I do is lower the calories of each meal throughout the day so I have some calories for alcohol. I am a beer drinker, and tried to do the Miller 64 instead of Miller Light, but I didn't get the buzz I was looking for. I have switched back to Miller Light, and throw in some shots along the way to make it a fun night. It is hard at that point to remember to log everything in MFP, but I do my best. I also after midnight cheat and put those drinks on the next day, and then just limit my calories that day as well. For me this only works on Saturday nights. I can't lower calories during the week it is just to hard so I just don't drink during the week. I also only go out on Saturday nights probably every OTHER weekend. I have also noticed that I loose more weight on the weekends that I do this over the weekends that I don't drink. Which I thought would have been the other way around.

Thanks for posting! I like everyone else's ideas as well when I feel like changing up the routine.