I'm having some issues

Options
This is probably largely due to the fact that I'm still new to this site, but I'm wondering if someone could help me out? I'm having trouble meeting my calorie goals without going over in my protein? My setting set protein at about 55g, my calorie intake is supposed to by around 1300, plus bonus excercise calories. I usually get to around 1100 and my protein is all used up, mostly by lean meats like chicken or fish, or dairy products like skim milk, yogurt and cheese. Even the fruits and Veggies I enter have protein so I can't just throw in a few more of fthose to make up calories! Is my setting too low or something? I don't want to put my body at risk by eating too few calories but I don't want to be taking in too much protein either! Maybe someone could post an example of a meal that's low of protein to help me out or something? thanks so much!
Kerri

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    This is probably largely due to the fact that I'm still new to this site, but I'm wondering if someone could help me out? I'm having trouble meeting my calorie goals without going over in my protein? My setting set protein at about 55g, my calorie intake is supposed to by around 1300, plus bonus excercise calories. I usually get to around 1100 and my protein is all used up, mostly by lean meats like chicken or fish, or dairy products like skim milk, yogurt and cheese. Even the fruits and Veggies I enter have protein so I can't just throw in a few more of fthose to make up calories! Is my setting too low or something? I don't want to put my body at risk by eating too few calories but I don't want to be taking in too much protein either! Maybe someone could post an example of a meal that's low of protein to help me out or something? thanks so much!
    Kerri
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think if you feel good with your normal protein intake, that is more important than the site's recommendations. Everyone's nutritional needs are different. Personally, I think the protein setting is generally too low for me when I am active. Someone once told me an active person (and this was a very small woman saying this) might need 100 grams of protein a day.!
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    I have the same problem, atm i have almost 450 Calories left, but its says Ive gone over on my protein my 19g's :noway:

I love fish, and chicken and probably have them both at least once a day.

The only thing you could do, is if you feel that you eat enough protein (Maybe Measure it up against the RDA) maybe set your goals using custom.

That way you can keep everything else the same, Just adapt the protein count to your needs.

Hope this helps, and have a great Day! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Kerri

I have found the protein settings on this site to be about 10% low for me. I wouldn't worry too much about going 10 to 20% over. Protein isn't going to do any damage unless you go crazy (then the liver and kidneys tends to get pissed off at you). protien will be broken down into fatty acid or sugars but your body is usually equipped to deal with some excess easilly. It sound's like you're getting the right kind of protein anyway, its the red meat that you want to carefully watch and try to keep down, mostly for the other things in red meat then from the protein but still.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I personally ignore the macronutrient break down. I try to make the healthiest choices all day long (good fats like nuts, seeds, and olive oil), whole grains, lots of fruit and veg, and some serving of lean protein at every meal.

I just watch the overall CALORIE totals...
    I wouldn't worry about it! (I think this site is set to the old standard of high carb, low fat, low protein).
    :smile:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Its all about the CALORIES! Don't worry about protein if you are trying to lose weight.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Its all about the CALORIES! Don't worry about protein if you are trying to lose weight.

Um, I'm not sure this is a good message to send. I mean, it's all about healthy weight loss which certainly depends on what we put in our body, not just how much. It's just my opinion, but I have always attempted to focus not only on how many calories, but that I am getting my correct amounts of the vitamins, proteins, carbs, and fat that I'm suppose to have.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with Banks on that one. You could eat only like 2 or 3 doughnuts a day, still be under calories, and lose weight...but it's not healthy. You need to be conscious of eating healthy. This is a lifestyle change, not just weight loss...otherwise the weight will come back.
  • AJCM
    Options
    I don't think this is an issue of how many donuts one can eat in a day for 1400 calories...

Make healthy choices, count those calories, and don't worry about the out dated macronutrient counts (or, you can go into "settings" and change the counts to reflect your personal protein, fat, and carb needs)...
  • AJCM
    Options
    Oh... forgot to mention... Kerri - you might also want to check out how many grams of protein is the safe level for your body - there are many programmes on the net that will help you tabulate this (my Naturopath suggests limiting my protein to 15-25 grams per meal or digestion period, just so that I'm not overworking my kidneys...). That said,she recommends that type of serving of protein at least 3 times daily, making my "minimum" levels (according to her anyway) to be between 45 and 75 grams daily.
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    From adversity we gain strength. Don't let the little things bother you, remember that there are other people in the world that are experiencing the same things you are so VENT VENT VENT. Believe it or not, you are buring calories. They may be little but jump up and down and throw that fit. I do! and I feel somewhat better afterwards.