Working out when you're still sore from the last time?!

Options
I used to do a mix of cardio and strength training, (but mostly strength training - Body Pump classes etc) about 5 times a week but went a few months without doing any when my gym membership had expired.

Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things, I'm finding myself very stiff/sore/weak the day after each class. Should I just crack on? Or give myself a day in between until I start to strengthen up again?

I was gonna go to bodypump today but am still aching from Kettlercise yesterday and can't see my muscles being able to give 100%. Thoughts?

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    It's OK to exercise when you're sore. Just don't expect to be at peak performance.
  • feistymoon
    Options
    I'd recommend a rest day to let your muscles repair themselves. You want to get fit not fatigued. Either that or try something low impact like a nice long walk or a slow paced swim.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with exercising when your muscles are sore, however you typically don't want to do several intense workouts back to back. Lets say you did a chest workout and your chest was still sore a week later (which can happen at the beginning), its alright to workout chest again.
  • ooshlet
    ooshlet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    do something gentle. i recently did a body attack class the day after a particularly hard session with my trainer - i landed strangely to avoid hurting my thighs any more (they were really sore) and now i've damaged my foot. and have to see a physio. just do some swimming or pilates or something.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    do something gentle. i recently did a body attack class the day after a particularly hard session with my trainer - i landed strangely to avoid hurting my thighs any more (they were really sore) and now i've damaged my foot. and have to see a physio. just do some swimming or pilates or something.

I agree. If it hurts enough to actually alter your ability to perform the exercise motion, then you probably should find a different exercise to do.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh go for it!! Just take it slow, then go fierce if your muscles limber up!!

It's going to help you loosen up and feel better anyway. Unless you have hurt yourself, resting really isn't going to do much. I exercise almost everyday and I'm often sore from the day before. If you are switching up your routine almost daily, you are going to be sore a lot!! Sorry!

I start off slow some days and within 5 minutes I forget I was sore! If I didn't exercise when I was sore, I probably would never exercise!!! Rock the DOMS!!! As some of us MFPers say!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!! You will feel like a million bucks!!

EDITED TO ADD: Before people go crazy--I DID say, if she hasn't hurt herself. You know your body, if it hurts, don't do it, if it's sore, go back for more! And of course rest days are VERY important as well, this is when your muscles GROW!!
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I sometimes exercise when my muscles are a little sore but thats usually with a days rest in between. Remember that rest is as important as working out if you want to develop go strength and fitness!
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I went for it :D

I did loosen off a bit and I managed to get through it, although was definitely feeling the burn a lot quicker than I usually do!

Suffering now though :( 10000x more stiff!
  • HappyHeart1993
    HappyHeart1993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me a yoga DVD, and I do that on my "off" days. Wow, I can really feel it stretching, lengthening and strengthening my muscles. You might give it a try. Good luck!

15664873.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Keep moving!! It might sound weird, but it really helps if you keep moving. You'll get worse if you just sit around. Go exercise and don't forget to stretch.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i combat my soreness with 2 aspirin and vitamin C before bed and i usually wake up feeling great.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I try and do gentle exercise in between the weight training days but sometimes I feel like I'm copping out, haha. I guess I was just wondering if there was any reason TO actually take a rest day in between, do my muscles need to recover? Not looking for an excuse or anything, just sometimes I push on and I wonder if a rest day/lighter exercise would actually have been more beneficial.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The first week I did P90X I felt like i got hit by a bus (seriously) I would feel so tense in the beginning but I loosened up during the warm-up and didn't really feel much afterwards. You can work through soreness, but make sure you do give yourself at least a day to recover!!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I try and do gentle exercise in between the weight training days but sometimes I feel like I'm copping out, haha. I guess I was just wondering if there was any reason TO actually take a rest day in between, do my muscles need to recover? Not looking for an excuse or anything, just sometimes I push on and I wonder if a rest day/lighter exercise would actually have been more beneficial.

They say that you should take one full rest day. For instance, I do cardio and weights M/W/F and only cardio on Sun/Tues/Thurs and I do nothing on Sat.