Am I eating right? Please help:)

Options
I usually eat a 0 calorie orange for breakfast and I eat about 580 calories for lunch and the rest in dinner or snacks. I can have 1460 calories a day. How many calories should I eat each meal? Is the way I'm eating healthy in my weight loss journey?

Replies

• lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do not believe oranges are 0 calories...unless it's fake. lol
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've always heard: Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a peasant.

It's hard to do, but apparently it's good? I'd say just try to spread your calories out more evenly so you're a constant level all day, not spiking randomly.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I would suggest eating more for breakfast.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a 0 calorie orange for breakfast and I eat about 580 calories for lunch and the rest in dinner or snacks. I can have 1460 calories a day. How many calories should I eat each meal? Is the way I'm eating healthy in my weight loss journey?

1 - What is a zero calorie orange?

2- For strict weight loss purposes, it doesn't really matter when you eat. Eating breakfast and every 4 or so hours though will help keep blood sugar stable. If you are not too hungry during most of the day, your calorie spread is probably fine.

3- Hard do say if what you are doing is healthy without seeing your diary.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are meeting the MFP calorie goal, including exercise calories, and you are happy with how you are spacing those calories throughout the day, then you are doing it right. When you eat doesn't matter as long as it works for you.

**the only 0 calories orange is an imaginary orange.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree that oranges aren't 0 calories. Otherwise-- it doesn't matter how you divide up your calories. What matters if your total goal for the day. As long as you're making healthy choices and coming in within 50 cals of your goal one way or the other you should be fine.
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    i've never heard of a no calorie orange. heck a medium one is usually at least 80 cals....
  • rebeccafinley
    Options
    People always say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so I try to eat a bigger breakfast, rather than a big dinner. The rest of the day just kind of varies for me. If you're eating 4 designated meals each day, then divide 1,400 by 4, and break up your calories evenly that way. Just see what works best for you. :)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    You should open your diary if you would like more detailed help.

For weight loss, all that matters is how many calories you consume - doesn't matter what time of day.

However, I personally find that dieting is easier and I feel full most of the time when I eat more often. Try something like this, and see how it works for your body:
    Breakfast = 350 calories
    Snack = 200
    Lunch = 300
    Snack = 200
    Dinner = 400
    TOTAL = 1450 calories

GOOD LUCK!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Where did you find said 0 calorie orange?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and calorie spread is irrelevant to weight loss......and can I get a 0 calorie orange too, please?
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I believe it is this

http://www.steaz.com/sparkling-green-tea-zero-calorie-orange/

which is a sparkling green tea and not an actual fruit. But I could be mistaken, and if I am right its drinking and not eating.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've always heard: Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a peasant.

That is actually a really good way of looking at it, i never heard that before.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    yes, as everyone said, there is really no such thing as a zero calorie orange.

anyways, for me, I typically try to balance out lean protein/healthy carb/little healthy fat/veggies for my meals....if I can.

so for example lunch might be: Chicken breast, wild rice, slice of avocado, carrots/spinach.

I find when I eat like that, it keeps me full for longer. I also like the 3 meals and a couple snacks. that helps me stay full longer. but that's just me. really it is about cals in and out. so some like to load up at certain meals. that's just not for me.

good luck to you
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options

1 - What is a zero calorie orange?

2- For strict weight loss purposes, it doesn't really matter when you eat. Eating breakfast and every 4 or so hours though will help keep blood sugar stable. If you are not too hungry during most of the day, your calorie spread is probably fine.

3- Hard do say if what you are doing is healthy without seeing your diary.

^^ this
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Julie and I have been on MFP since January 8th. I actually weighed in on Wednesday January 4th at a facility close to my house and I was 212.6 pounds. When I started MFP on January 8th I weighed in at 208.6 and I am sticking to a 1200 calorie diet with exercise. You should check out your BMR at this website and it will explain how you burn calories just by living. The website is: http://www.everydayhealth.com/toolkit/bmr-calculator.aspx

I stick to my calorie intake on her no matter how much I burn and I have lost 15.4 pounds in 3 weeks. I feel so good to finally be under the 200 pound mark. It may happen quick or it may take some time but you can do it.

I divide my calories like this:
    Morning = 300 calories
    snack = 100 calories
    Lunch = 300 calories
    snack = 100 calories
    Dinner = 300 calories
    snack = 100 calories

I don't always stick to this but I try! That's all we can do is try and then we will succeed!
  • arianadudley
    Options
    I do not believe oranges are 0 calories...unless it's fake. lol

ya i found that out but the other day i tried logging it in and it said 0 calories.. oops