do you wear it all day??

Options
your HRM, do you wear it all day and track the calories burned or just when you work out? I bought one that is a watch and I'll be getting it today. I can't wait!!! I'm guessing I wear it all day and when I do my workouts I turn it "on". Never used one before.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump I'd like to know this as well...I would like to get one in the near future.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I only wear mine when I work out. I turn it on before I warm up and turn it off when I'm done stretching.
    Good luck with yours! I love mine.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    If you mean a standard watch with a chest strap - you put the chest strap on before you workout, and take it off after. The watch cal track feature is turned on, before you work out, and turned off after. (in my case the watch is only worn then as well)

If you do not have a chest strap, it will normally be less accurate, then one with a chest strap.

A BodyBugg or Fitbie type device is different, and it is made to track calorie burn all day, along with other things. But it is usually an arm band, wristband or something less obtrusive then a chest strap/watch HMR.

The arm band type IS worn all day.

Not sure which kind you have- The manual with your device will tell you exactly how yours is meant to be used.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you mean a standard watch with a chest strap - you put the chest strap on before you workout, and take it off after. The watch cal track feature is turned on, before you work out, and turned off after. (in my case the watch is only worn then as well)

If you do not have a chest strap, it will normally be less accurate, then one with a chest strap.

A BodyBugg or Fitbie type device is different, and it is made to track calorie burn all day, along with other things. But it is usually an arm band, wristband or something less obtrusive then a chest strap/watch HMR.

The arm band type IS worn all day.

Not sure which kind you have- The manual with your device will tell you exactly how yours is meant to be used.

Agreed.

The formulas used by most HRMs assume a higher exertion level, so the calculated burns will be way off when at rest. Typical HRMs are not good for TDEE calculation.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nah, I only wear it when I'm doing cardio or weights just to see if I'm pressing it or not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Grea blog about HRMs. How to use, what their accuracy is, what they are intended to be used to track, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine when I'm working out.
  • Tatyana130
    Options
    I tried wearing my HRM (watch and chest strap) for 24 hours to see calories burned, but it showed 4,000 calories burned!!!! No way that is right - I would've been real skinny!! I did NO exercise that day. I know ordered one of those Body Media and am so excited to try it out. THAT I will wear all day and all night.