Anyone do crossfit?

Options
If so, I salute you. That is some hardcore stuff! Did you start out already in shape, or were you a beginner? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I do the wods about 3 times a week, i like their program but it isn't enough for me to be fully committed to just cross fit.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i have friends that do it, but, unfortunately i have seen a lot of things crossfitters do wrong.

not all, but several videos on youtube to explain such as: terrible form, and too many things that rely on momentum to get them going such as their version of pull-ups.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use some aspects of it in my weight routine, but not all crossfit exclusively. It's important to have someone show you the proper form because you can really eff stuff up doing it incorrectly.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    I'm a Crossfit nerd. I drank the kool-aid and love it. While I won't go full paleo, I'm usually in the gym 4 times a week. On my days off, I run. To answer your question, I started Crossfit after having lost about 20 pounds and really wanting to get toned. It did that and then some! I feel and look better than ever, and I'm consistently cutting inches from formerly flabby areas.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    terrible form, and too many things that rely on momentum to get them going such as their version of pull-ups.

"Their" pull-ups are called kips (if you didn't know) and they didn't invent it, its a legitimate exercise much like a push press where you use momentum to complete a lift.

Not defending crossfit, because i agree there are some faults, just like anything else, just helping you stay informed.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I drink the kool-aid as a backer to my whiskey, but yes I crossfit - I normally go 4-5 days a week (2 days I double up doing an endurance wod also).
    I started crossfitting at my fattest - I was 5'1" and 270lbs (think walrus, less wrinkles).
    I love it - you will get a lot of nay sayers, but the community at the box is what keeps me going back. You don't get that support or sense of belonging at any globo gym.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    You don't get that support or sense of belonging at any globo gym.

I'm at a commercial gym and there is a lot of comradery. So while i am glad you found great support, finding belonging at a globo gym IS possible no need to hate.
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a crossfit hybrid since December and absolutely love it! Awesome workout! I was already in decent shape when I started and find it extremely challenging to this day. It you start as a beginner be sure to pace yourself and make it your own!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym before attending my first WOD and have been a number of times. It's not part of my weekly routine but when I do attend, it surely brings me up a level. Since attending I've totally changed how I structure my circuits in the gym...
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    terrible form, and too many things that rely on momentum to get them going such as their version of pull-ups.

"Their" pull-ups are called kips (if you didn't know) and they didn't invent it, its a legitimate exercise much like a push press where you use momentum to complete a lift.

Not defending crossfit, because i agree there are some faults, just like anything else, just helping you stay informed.

yeah of course they didnt create it, but they use it.

go ahead and do your 20 pullups by kipping..

and ill continue to do my pullups just hanging from my arms...

and what press are you talking about using momentum to complete it?
  • s114781
    s114781 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 53. I started a year and a half ago. I love it. It is scalable. I started very out of shape. Doing much better now. Our coach really puts an emphasis on form. She is taking us in the direction of olympic weight lifting-of course along with all the other xfit stuff. Kipping is used only minimally.

Regarding myfitnesspal.com. How do you log cross fit activity in the exercsie portion of the site? I have been breaking it down into cardio and strength, but I wish there was simply a "crossfit" item in the database!
  • addisondisease
    Options

yeah of course they didnt create it, but they use it.

go ahead and do your 20 pullups by kipping..

and ill continue to do my pullups just hanging from my arms...

and what press are you talking about using momentum to complete it?

With a push press (looks like an over head press) you use a squat up motion to build momentum in order to push more weight above your head. In this lift the legs are brought in to aid in pushing the weight. With the kip, the core is brought in to aid. It may feel like a cheat rep, yet its a legitimate lift regardless.

Its fine to do dead hang pull ups, its the ones i love and do. Its more of a do you want to get strong at doing pulls ups, or do you want to be fast.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    I have been breaking it down into cardio and strength, but I wish there was simply a "crossfit" item in the database!

Because crossfit can be so different from one day to the next like a couple days ago it was a strength day, and today is cardio, it would be near impossible for MFP to try and figure out how many calories you've burnt. Best bet would be to get yourself a HRM
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If so, I salute you. That is some hardcore stuff! Did you start out already in shape, or were you a beginner? I'm thinking of trying it out.

I do CrossFit. Normally, I do it 4 days a week and one day of Olympic lifting.

I had never, ever worked out when I started. (I really started in what was called a boot camp class, but it was really just CrossFit with less equipment.)

I'm still modifying a lot of things, but others I no longer have to modify. I am a lot stronger and more flexible than I was when I started. I am in a lot better shape than I was when I started.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    You should definitely check it out! It's fun! It can be scaled to any fitness level and a good instructor will make sure you are doing proper form. There are some people who love it, some who hate it, some who refuse to try it. If it interests you, try it. If you hate it, that's fine. If you love it, awesome.

I wasn't sure about it becasue of all the negative things I've read, on here and other places. The trainer I work for is getting into it so I work out with him a few times a week and have really been enjoying it. We start with a full warm up, practice our form and technique, and then go into a workout. I love that it kicks my *kitten* every time and it's a new challenge every workout. I am so freaking close to a muscle-up and it's pissing me off that I can't get it. I also have welts because apparently I've lost my jump-roping skills :)

I don't think I will ever do JUST crosfit, even if I go get certified. I crossfit with my boss, run with my dog, and lift with my husband. That's just how I am, gotta keep switching things up.

If you try it, have fun!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My local Dojo is incorporating some Crossfit-style classes into their normal rotation of fighting style-specific classes to bring in a broader audience.

We have our own WODs, we have rings and kettlebells and we got some major encouragement among our ranks. It's quite nice, as I don't think I could afford to join a Brand Name Crossfit Box.
  • s114781
    s114781 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That makes sense.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

too many crossfitters don't even know how to do a kipping pullup properly though. they flail around and sacrifice form all so they can get a better time.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0

for crossfitters with a sense of humor