Carb ?

Options
I have been really trying to watch my carbs. I like meat and veges and can give up the pasta, bread and potatos. How many carbs can I eat and still lose weight at a good pace? I do like to have a cocktail and use diet Coke.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason for giving up carbs? If so - ignore post below......

Low carb may seem easier (at first) "if I can just avoid this food group XXX for XXX months - then my weight problems will be solved."

By the way .... once upon a time this was the "just eat low fat" (this is not a good idea). I think that to keep weight permenantly you need to make "lifestyle" changes. I know that I will not be "forever" low carb .... so instead of low carb - I eat "smarter" carbs now. There are good carbs out there.
  • kimim5
    kimim5 Posts: 2
    Options
    That is a great recommendation. Cutting types of foods out is unnecessary since you need good carbs to help utilize protein. It all works together....you just have to make the right choice. (whole grain over bleached white flour carbs...etc) If you eat carbs early in the day you may see a change....try to eat almost all of your carbs for breakfast, lunch and snacks, and you will see that they get utilized and not stored.
  • Lones1010
    Options
    I am starting the Eat to Live nutritional journey and I've copied a quote from Dr. Joel Fuhrman, the man behind the phenom, below. I am still weaning myself off meat and am eating turkey, chicken or fish maybe 1-2x/wk but eventually I hope to go full vegetarian. We started out switching from white to wheat and from white potatos to sweet potatos. Dr. Fuhrman doesn't push breads either but (and, again, I've only just started this nutritional plan) I would think if you had a choice, you could give up meat and keep a few whole grain breads since they are at least giving you nutrients and fiber. You can get your protein from your veg and beans.

"Our bodies need carbohydrates more than any other substance. Our muscle cells and brains are designed to run on carbohydrates. Carbohydrate-rich foods, when consumed in their natural state, are low in calories and high in fiber compared with fatty foods, processed foods, or animal products. You can find these healthy carbs in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes."

I was a heavy, heavy drinker before this and I have quit for 3 weeks now. You will know when you are ready. I can say that quitting the alcohol along with the new eating plan has left me feeling faaaaaaaaantastic.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How many carbs can I eat and still lose weight at a good pace?

There is really no limit. For best results, make sure you're eating enough protein and enough fat. Fill the rest in however you like. Carbs tend to take care of themselves.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot of veggies. These are great for you, fill you up, and are low in calorie. Munch away!

Focus on the following to get your carbs:

◦whole vegetables
    ◦whole fruits
    ◦beans
    ◦legumes
    ◦nuts
    ◦seeds
    ◦whole cereal grains
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    We're all different. For me, I get most of my carbs from vegetables, nuts and seeds, limited fruits and whatever is in dairy. I eat few wheat-based carbs or starchy vegetables. But I do have them once in awhile when in the mood and after an intense exercise session. I do best on 80-100 grams/carb daily but some people need less, some can have much more. You really need to experiment to find out what is best for you.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I will ask you this - are you planning on giving up or limiting your carb intake for the rest of your life?

I ask this because there is no point in making dietary changes you cannot maintain for the rest of your life, assuming of course, that you want to maintain your weight loss. Having said that, each person can cut calories in a manner that feels appropriate for them. Cutting carbs is one way, but in my experience, making drastic changes in diet which eliminate or severely limit a particular food group does not yield long-term benefits. You lose the weight then go back to eating the breads, pastas, etc, that you loved before you lost all the weight.

Make decisions based on changes you can sustain indefinitely. Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How many carbs can I eat and still lose weight at a good pace?

There is really no limit. For best results, make sure you're eating enough protein and enough fat. Fill the rest in however you like. Carbs tend to take care of themselves.

This. Some days I eat less than 150 grams of carbs, some days I eat over 300 grams of carbs. It doesn't have any effect on my weight loss.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up carbs I just watch portion size. I try to keep my carbs around 130 when losing and 150 now to maintain.
    Breads I like:
    Thomas's Sahara mini pitas, Pepperidge farm light style bread, Mission small carb balance tortilla's.
    Barilla protein pasta, is just like regular pasta. I only have 1 -2 oz. and add tons of veggies to my sauce.
    Baked potatoes, white or sweet. I only eat 4-6 oz.
    Rice 1/2 cup
    Mac and cheese or noodle and sauce. 1/2 cup
    Low fat popcorn for a snack
    I try to stay away from processed sweets ( cakes, doughnuts, pies, cookies) and white flour. But you can find recipes for lower cal versions.
    The trick is portion control and healthier versions of the things you love or you will never stick with it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a Type 2 Diabetic and have Carb counted throughout my journey to lose this weight as well as counting calories. This is really a case of to each his own and what your reasoning would be to lower your carb intake. I for one have not, I try to strike a balance between complex carbs and simple carbs tending to eat a few more complex just cause they tend to take longer to break down... I am eating roughly 280-300 grams of carbs a day (70 grams at my 3 main meals and 25 grams at my 3 snacks) this and a caloric intake of 3200 with my exercise allows me to lose 1 to 2 lbs. a week. I have and do work with a diabetic dietician to regulate my Diabetes (been pre-diabetic for the last 15 months A1c of 5.4) So again you need to find what is going to work best for you and your situation........ Good luck.....