Help....Chinese restaurant tonight ... here the menu

Options
ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
http://greatwallofchinasouth.com/chinese-full-menu.html
what would you order if:
1) Want to eat heathy (stay in 300 to 400 cal range)
2) you are tired of the healthy food section LOL
Thank you

Replies

• ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would still get steamed whatever, but with the sauce I like on the side for dipping.. and soup.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd start with hot & sour soup because it's delicious and low calorie (though high sodium). I don't know how you could have anything other than the steamed menu and stay at only 300-400 calories. Maybe the chicken lettuce wrap?? (not sure what's in that)
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I suggest steamed broccoli with steamed chicken - no sauce, no starch, no added salt or soy sauce. Eat mostly the broccoli and drink lots of tea without sugar and water.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    A really small portion of whatever you want. And tons of water :)
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    meat, vegetables, hot and sour soup..you can't go wrong as long as you don't eat any noodles or rice. my gf and i will go for thai food and she will order like lemon grass chicken but only eat veggies and the chicken and the sauce that comes with it. i do that too..sometimes:)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    meat, vegetables, hot and sour soup..you can't go wrong as long as you don't eat any noodles or rice. my gf and i will go for thai food and she will order like lemon grass chicken but only eat veggies and the chicken and the sauce that comes with it. i do that too..sometimes:)

I used to go to Edo Japan in the food court and order it with no rice and a smidge of sauce. The guy would always give me extra vegetables. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I suggest steamed broccoli with steamed chicken - no sauce, no starch, no added salt or soy sauce. Eat mostly the broccoli and drink lots of tea without sugar and water.

That sounds so sad.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    1. Healthy: 100 grams of fried rice, 3 oz each of ginger beef and sweet and sour pork. I think that would be right around 400 calories, if maybe a little over. Try sharing dishes and taking a small bit of each.

2. Not Healthy: same thing, larger portions lol
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Instead of buying it at the restaurant, you cook your own. I cooked the asian glazed drumsticks from the skinnytaste website only i used boneless skinless chicken thighs and trimmed the fat off, and i made brown fried rice from the skinnytaste website too. it took a little while to cook for me because i am not a skilled cook, but it was so good and a lot less calories than what you could get at takeout but still had the great flavor.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Ew. At that point why even bother? Eating shouldn't be a miserable, depressing experience
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I agree with the no rice thing.

Some Chinese restaurants have a buddist style section, which is way healthier.

Chicken and broccoli, anything you order, ask specifically for NO MSG, unless it states they do not use msg on the menu.

If you are open to it, you an also request tofu as your protein. I find that if I only eat vegetables, I am hungry an hour later.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    My typical choice would be beef and broccoli with no rice or if you really need some rice stick to a quarter of a cup to at least reduce the damage 2 cups of rice (lucky if that is all they give you) almost 400 calories, 1/4 cup 49 calories and will not be hungry an hour later as chinese food is known for.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would probably get mixed Chinese vegetables with garlic sauce--ask for the sauce on the side so it's not drowning in the stuff, and limit my rice portion.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Instead of buying it at the restaurant, you cook your own. I cooked the asian glazed drumsticks from the skinnytaste website only i used boneless skinless chicken thighs and trimmed the fat off, and i made brown fried rice from the skinnytaste website too. it took a little while to cook for me because i am not a skilled cook, but it was so good and a lot less calories than what you could get at takeout but still had the great flavor.

??? That is a good idea for an at home meal, but I doubt the restaurant will let her bring her own food to eat there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I would choose the steamed veggies with shrimp.