Are sugar free foods bad for you?

Options
I crave sugar, that is my downfall. Yesterday I bought some suger free jam, SF life savers and SF syrup. I don't plan on increasing my serving size just because they are sugar free and less calories, but I want to know if I should just stick with the real deal or if sugar free is okay to eat. I'm concerned about the artificial sweetners in them. Any thoughts???

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with them. I use products with artificial sweeteners all the time as a way to save calories.

Most people on MFP will tell you that they're the spawn of satan, but they can provide any evidence to back up their claims, just something they "heard."
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Be careful when eating some sugar free stuff. If it has maltitol in it, you need to limit the amount you consume because too much and it has a laxative effect. You generally can find that in sugar free chocolates but it could appear in other sugar free items that don't use artificial sweetners.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Be careful when eating some sugar free stuff. If it has maltitol in it, you need to limit the amount you consume because too much and it has a laxative effect. You generally can find that in sugar free chocolates but it could appear in other sugar free items that don't use artificial sweetners.

^^^true, certain sweeteners cause stomach issues for some people
  • northwjj
    northwjj Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Yeah, lol I don't think I want that. I am going to have to pay special attention to labels and play around a bit to see what my body can handle. Thanks for the info!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I eat some sugar free products but I try to avoid aspartame and limit Splenda and sugar alcohols. Stevia is my sweetener of choice but since it costs more it's not in a lot of producst yet.