Getting Fit for Life

dunhammj
dunhammj Posts: 16
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this site. I overheard a trainer at my gym talking about the site last night and figured I would give it a go; why not?

Anyway, I just finished college and now I need to start with some self-improvement. After 5 years and 2 degrees, I am 60 pounds heavier than I was going in. A big reason for this was the chef I had at school that was really into buttery foods.

I know I can get back into shape because I have done it before. I was this same weight 2 years ago; while abroad for 11 months, I lost 40 pounds and felt great. I do not want it to take as long this time. I did not work out when I was abroad and now I am so hopefully it will all melt off (fingers crossed). I have lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks so hopefully I can keep it up.

Right now I am just exercising and trying to cut down on portion sizes. Do you all think this is the best strategy or do you have another story? I am considering doing the Atkins diet to jumpstart weight loss.

If anyone could offer advice, words of support, etc, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

• I would definetly say that drinking a lot of water is a great way to start loosing weight. :happy: The atkins diet works well, as long as you don't eat more than the portion size. 60 pounds isn't bad at all to gain during college, iv'e seen a lot worse. Find the exercises and techniques that work for you and stick with it. Good luck!:wink:
  • we have a similar story of 'college related weight gain':grumble: :laugh: I just started working on my PhD... and decided that I didn't want to add another 30+ lbs... I basically started by changing my eating habits (no more fast food... :noway: etc..) now I am starting back up at the gym... and watching calories...

I think if what you are currently doing is working for you then keep it up... if you hit a bump in the road you can always switch things up. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is great, it is so supportive, helpful, motivational, and easy to use.Everyone is really nice here too. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
This discussion has been closed.