HRM losing track of heart rate

Options
Anyone else have issues with their heart rate monitor chest straps losing their heart beat? I just did c25k and it thought my rate was like 20% my maximum the whole time. I HATE not having an accurate calorie burn. Are there any tricks to keep it working properly?

Replies

• BrandNewMia
    Options
    Which one do you have? I have a Polar and when I get funky readings it usually means it's time to wash the chest strap. But I don't think all brands are washable, I can remove the transmitter on mine...
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Are you wetting the pads before you use it? The chest strap may not be reading because its not getting the electrical signal from your heart (conducted through the water on the pads)?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I get weird readings if the strap is too tight or too loose. Also make sure you wet the straps too.. After a while we have just bought another strap I guess they could wear out.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Battery change or tighten the chest strap.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yup... what they all said :flowerforyou:
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    What everyone said. I have the Sportline Duo 1010 and it does that when I don't wet down the entire chest monitor and the back of the watch. I was only applying water to the middle of the chest strap monitor and it didn't work, had to wet the whole thing and it works great. Good luck! Also remember to update your weight change in the user profile.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Mine has started doing this recently, but I've had it for 2 years. Me thinks it's time for a new battery.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    apparently the fabric of your shirt can affect it (static). try rubbing a bouncy sheet on it first, also i find wetting the strap helps a lot.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    I have a Timex WR 30M. I do get the sensors wet and have washed and readjusted straps over and over! I just got it in December so i doubt its the battery already. But I did email timex explaining the issue and they are sending me a replacement. Great customer service! Go timex!
  • MNFats
    MNFats Posts: 4
    Options
    Timex seems to have a lot of issues with the chest strap and the watch not communicating, see any google search. I had a timex ironman and it worked great for about 3 months then it was very spotty or inaccurate. I ended up returning it.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into getting a HRM but it's problems like these which are making me concerned spending so much money for inaccurate readings or the other problems that have been discussed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex WR 30M. I do get the sensors wet and have washed and readjusted straps over and over! I just got it in December so i doubt its the battery already. But I did email timex explaining the issue and they are sending me a replacement. Great customer service! Go timex!

Timex is inaccurate for calories burned anyway.. with or without signal problems.

I'd be vary weary of that calorie estimation that it spits out.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    On the odd occasion my sports bra can interfere

Don't have it too tight, especially if you are running outside...up a hill. I nearly passed out!!

Make sure you wet the sensors properly, if your's requires it
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    I have read the Polar is the way to go. Mine was a gift, so I didn't get much of a choice. I do think of them as an investment though. higher cost, higher quality!
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My first Polar did this and I had to return it for a replacement, never had that problem again...
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    My Polar works with no problems at all. Perhaps the straps are not wet enough?
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    I borrowed a mates that kept dropping out, then got given a new one of my own (both Polar). The new one hasn't dropped out at all. I'm thinking it was actually the age of the strap (I had just put new batteries in so I don't think that was it).

Keep up the good work!