Discouraged! 1 month of counting cals/working out w/ no resu

Options

Replies

• degner102
    Options
    Watch sodium and fat intake as well, not just calories as that can affect weight loss/gain
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    One thing I'd suggest, especially if you're new to calorie counting - buy a food scale, and weigh and measure EVERYTHING. It's so easy to overestimate your portions, even if you're "measuring" them. A few small over-estimations throughout the day can add up to hundreds of calories. Try weighing everything you eat for a week or two, and see if you notice a difference in your loss.
  • chrinsky
    chrinsky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    um, are you really sure you haven't experienced any results?

read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/eff-that-scale-how-you-re-winning-without-it-201225

as for why the scale isn't moving, there are number of things that might help...and, unfortunately, its hard to say which one of these will work best for you. keep in mind that part of the journey is trial and error...to find what works best for you. if you persist, you will usually find the right combination of food, water, rest and exercise.

anyway, here are some ideas in my plateau blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/breaking-a-plateau-170648

Those blogs are fantastic! Thank you for sharing! You're absolutely right about recognizing the small victories (that actually add up to big victories/accomplishments) in your every day routine!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Watch sodium and fat intake as well, not just calories as that can affect weight loss/gain

It is SUCH a myth that fat intake can make you fat. You can eat a diet of 100% fat, and as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • srlynch1
    srlynch1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you do the same workouts everyday? Maybe your body has adapted to the workout. I would try to mix up your workout routine and see if that helps.
  • mrshoffy1
    mrshoffy1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know we are all on here for weight loss but........keep in mind that any and every change to better health is worth it. I weigh myself 1 x a week in the morning and I found Monday is a good day for me. I make my goal each day to exercise and eat my calories as close to my limit as poss. I have completely forgot about the weight I want to drop and I am staying goal set with exercise. Ex: make a goal of min., miles, sets, weight amounts, reps., whatever. Once you meet it BEAT IT choose another just a bit higher. Keep pressing onward. It took a long time to gain the weight so as long as your working hard at getting healthy your a winner! It will come off :)
  • silentnacht
    Options
    I would suggest upping your intake by 100 calories each week for a month, and see if that gets you anywhere. 1300 for one week, then 1400, then 1500, etc. If you start experiencing more weight loss at any of those net intakes then obviously stick with it, since everyone's BMR and maintenance levels are different.

I personally didn't see my last five pounds come off until I was getting 1450 calories, which is just under maintenance for me.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories by a couple hundred to four hundred a day, with an occasional day of eating more, I think that might be part of the reason I'm still losing even though anyone can see by my diary that I'm not a clean eater by any means. You could always try adding some calories on top of the exercise calories you're supposed to eat back and see if it helps.
  • skrum2
    skrum2 Posts: 3
    Options
    DO NOT EAT the calories you work off my working out. Eat 1200 calories and that's it. :) I was the same way and I stopped eating what I worked off and the results were awesome!
  • rachf2013
    Options
    Hey you are doing great! Stay in there! You may not be eating the right foods. Empty calories won't help, they'll just convince your body to not lose weight. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbs. But try not to eat any sugar.

The other possibility may be that since you are running so much, you may be gaining muscle. I'd say switch up your workout- try some weight lifting or aerobics to balance your body.
  • rachf2013
    Options
    (In reply to yuckidah) Dont eat any less!!! You are doing great and I know you don't want to hear those things you listed, but they are probably true. When you start exercising, your body wants to keep more fat because it thinks it needs it. If you take away more food, it'll convince your body to hold on to every pound.

My suggestion- workout for a month, keep your food the same. DO NOT weigh yourself, instead get a pair of jeans or a dress thats a size smaller than you usually wear. At the end of the month, I bet you will fit into those jeans.

I say dont weigh yourself because its not about the number, its about how you fit into your clothes.
  • ameyer410
    Options
    This is for all those elliptical users out there...

These machines almost ALWAYS overestimate calories for some reason. Almost every other machine at the gym is about accurate. I know, you can enter your weight and age, blah blah. But they drastically overestimate it. If my machine says I burned 600, I actually probably burned 350-400. I have found that they overestimate usually from 30-40%, which can seriously screw up your diet if you rely on this machine a lot.

I "eat back" the calories that I burn (which you should if you are on a very low calorie diet, you should be eating 1200 net at least), so I was basically doing the classic American underestimating what I ate, and overestimating what I burned. You should wear a HR monitor and get some ideas of what you're burning on your elliptical workouts, or do what I've done and switch to another machine.

I've yo-yo dieted forever trying to lose 25 pounds, and I've finally got on track and got REALISTIC - I've bought a food scale and heart rate monitor to keep accurate counts, it seems like it is the key to my success and motivation. Good luck!
  • chrinsky
    Options
    Hey you are doing great! Stay in there! You may not be eating the right foods. Empty calories won't help, they'll just convince your body to not lose weight. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbs. But try not to eat any sugar.

A *typical* day for me is this:

Breakfast: One serving of Fiber One 80 Calories cereal and 1/2 cup of Light Vanilla Soy Milk - 115 calories
    Snack: Can range between 50-110 calories (Usually something like a Chewy granola bar, fruit, Special K chips, etc)
    Lunch: Has been a salad for about 2 months now...Baby spinach, blueberries, strawberries and almonds with Kraft Raspberry Vineg. Dressing (60 calories per serving)
    Snack: If I'm going to the gym I'll usually eat a serving of Almonds or something high protein
    Dinner: Usually a salad too with chicken, salmon, or shrimp...I count everything, the croutons, the dressing, etc. If I don't eat a salad, it's usually a serving or 1.5 of a serving meat and then veggies (broccoli, mixed veggies, etc)

I don't think I'm doing that bad! I don't know what else to do!!! I eat salad for at least one meal each day. Maybe I should go back to eating egg whites for breakfast and ditch the cereal because of the carbs? I'm stuck!
  • Jamiesplan77
    Options
    I know the feeling.. i was expressing this to my bootcamp instructor.. and when he looked at my fitnesspal nutrients / summary he immediately said.. Oh I know your problem... i was like what? Im staying within my calories.. and he said.. yes you are, BUT you are eating too many carbs! I needed more protein and less carbs.. he suggested i gradually trim my carbs,, like less than 100 a day and try to aim for less than 60.. sure enough once i did this the weight has started to move again. Maybe its worth a try?
  • chrinsky
    Options
    I know the feeling.. i was expressing this to my bootcamp instructor.. and when he looked at my fitnesspal nutrients / summary he immediately said.. Oh I know your problem... i was like what? Im staying within my calories.. and he said.. yes you are, BUT you are eating too many carbs! I needed more protein and less carbs.. he suggested i gradually trim my carbs,, like less than 100 a day and try to aim for less than 60.. sure enough once i did this the weight has started to move again. Maybe its worth a try?

You know what, I think I really might try this. I'm recalling a few years back when I did the South Beach Diet, and I lost like 12 lbs in 2 weeks...super unhealthy to lose it that fast, I know, but it worked! The carbs I eat are usually my breakfast cereal, special K chips or something like that, or a granola bar...other than that I'm usually just eat salad, veggies, and protein for meals.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    (In reply to yuckidah) Dont eat any less!!! You are doing great and I know you don't want to hear those things you listed, but they are probably true. When you start exercising, your body wants to keep more fat because it thinks it needs it. If you take away more food, it'll convince your body to hold on to every pound.

My suggestion- workout for a month, keep your food the same. DO NOT weigh yourself, instead get a pair of jeans or a dress thats a size smaller than you usually wear. At the end of the month, I bet you will fit into those jeans.

I say dont weigh yourself because its not about the number, its about how you fit into your clothes.

Thank you, I think you're right - I'm going to have to get my other-half to hide the scales!
    My clothes ARE feeling a bit looser so I think I may be getting inch results (I never measure) so maybe I'd be best to focus on that rather than weight for a while.

In response to other comments sprinkled throughout the thread:
    - I weigh/measure everything I eat, there is no guessing. I have digital food scales. Again I promise you, there is no cheating. This is a legitimate issue (the lack of weight loss on a diet <1200 cal) and I know it sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure how many times I can reiterate this - my food tracking is 100% accurate. I'm a perfectionist - there's no way I'm making any mistakes, lol.
    - I am already low carb. I eat one slice of gluten free bread a day (breakfast), and 1 serving of kumera/sweet potato approx once a week, and only a small sprinkling of anything else. Certainly low compared to the average/normal intake.
    - I don't snack - I probably should
    - I don't drink enough water - I know I should
    - I'm wondering if the calorie cycling (confusing my body) might be a good idea - my system has been starved for more than 20years - it EXPECTS to only be given this crazy amount of food. Maybe it's time to really shake it up. If I can get my head around that I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I realise most are aimed at the OP but I've read every single post :smile:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i vote for calorie cycling (high one day, low another day). I also vote for looking into your macros. And I vote for mixing up your exercise. If you run 2 miles 3-4x's a week (that's what I was doing), your body becomes really efficient at running 8 miles a week. One type of exercise that I have found breaks my plateaus is HIIT. I'd do it maybe twice or three times in one week, be so exhausted I'd be passing out at 8 pm and break through the plateau (this worked for me two or three times actually).

Those are just ideas. Of course everyone is different. Just don't get too discouraged our down on yourself. Posi-vibes are the number one requirement for healthy living!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Listen to this;
    I would suggest upping your intake by 100 calories each week for a month, and see if that gets you anywhere. 1300 for one week, then 1400, then 1500, etc. If you start experiencing more weight loss at any of those net intakes then obviously stick with it, since everyone's BMR and maintenance levels are different.

I personally didn't see my last five pounds come off until I was getting 1450 calories, which is just under maintenance for me.

Ignore this;
    DO NOT EAT the calories you work off my working out. Eat 1200 calories and that's it. :) I was the same way and I stopped eating what I worked off and the results were awesome!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This is for all those elliptical users out there...

These machines almost ALWAYS overestimate calories for some reason. Almost every other machine at the gym is about accurate. I know, you can enter your weight and age, blah blah. But they drastically overestimate it. If my machine says I burned 600, I actually probably burned 350-400. I have found that they overestimate usually from 30-40%, which can seriously screw up your diet if you rely on this machine a lot.

It's good to hear that! I have been running outside and then one day I was in a gym and did the elliptic for the same amount of time I run. It said I burned almost twice as much as I do running outside and, i'm sorry, but there is no way in hell that's true!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I totally understand abt the scale thing, I've just given up on the scale and just keep going. U will tell a difference in your clothes, that's the real difference...