dry pasta measurement vs cooked pasta - barilla plus? help!

Options
2»

Replies

• carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    210 calories for 1 cup of cooked Barilla Plus Penne.
  • elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OK, MFP PEOPLE!! HELP HAS ARRIVED. I got so frustrated with pasta measurements that, after reading this post, I set out to discover the truth for myself.

Barilla Spaghetti. Not plus, not whole wheat, just regular, plain old spaghetti. Measure out 2 oz DRY on your food scale. Boil it, and measure it. It will be one cup of cooked pasta.

2 oz dry OR 1 cup cooked Barilla spaghetti contains 200 calories, 1 gram of fat, 42 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of protein.

Now you can have your pasta, and eat it, too!!!
  • Red3535
    Red3535 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm eating now! Have you ever seen one of those pasta measuring tools? It has a hole that you can bundle the pasta through and for example, the littlest circle says 1 oz, the next is 2 oz, and so on. When I use the 2 oz one, it seems like more than 1 cup. Any idea if these tools are accurate?
  • drj1485
    Options
    I know this is old but guys, 1 cup is 8 FLUID ounces which is a measure of volume (how much space something takes up). All liquids take up the same amount of space so it's easy to measure them like this. 1 cup of jelly takes up just amount of space as 1 cup of water . 8 fluid ounces of water actually weighs roughly 8.3 oz. Water takes up one cup of space (8fluid oz) to equal to 8.3 oz in weight. But. Food is measured by weight. Not all foods are the same size and shape so you have to find their weight. Think about it. Weigh a 1/4 cup of rocks and a 1/4 cup of yarn. They take up the same space but weigh different. 2 oz of yarn might be 4 cups where as 2oz of rocks are 1/2 cup. Since most people do not have scales to measure their food companies will determine that 2oz of pasta takes up roughly 3/4 cup. This way you can still measure out a serving.
  • nlk5499
    Options
    Holy Jesus! Thank you to everyone! This was boggling my mind!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...8 oz in cup is a liquid measurement....liquid ounce. A cup of something dry can vary substantially in actual weight. One cup of popcorn is going to weight significantly less than one cup of pasta for example.

I think it's already been stated, but 2 oz pasta (typical serving size) is roughly 1/2 cup dry and 1 cup after being cooked.
  • RPrincess4688
    RPrincess4688 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another way to do this is, cook your pasta and then weigh it all on a scale. Then look at your box and look at how many servings are in the box than take the measurement you get and divide it by # of servings. There you go. I just figured this out tonight. That way you can make the whole box for your family and dont have to have 4 burners going at the same time to make separate portions especially because hubby and I are on two different plans for eating.
  • JeenOlson
    JeenOlson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HERE IS WHAT I DID.. My recipe called for 4 cups of cooked penne pasta. I, like most on here, have been irritated by the boxes that list calories for dry pasta only. Then, I realized that the pasta producers needed to use a measurement that would be the same for every pasta, and which would not be dependent on any one cooking method, or result. Thus, dry measurements are the answer. Well, swell, but where do I go with my recipe that calls for 4 cups of cooked pasta???

Hmmmm.

I finally decided to cook the whole box, al dente, per their instructions for exactly 11 mins. Usually, I would test for the tenderrness I prefer, but to keep all measurements standard, I removed the pasta at once, and drained it immediately. Then, I measured it, coming up with 8 cups of cooked pasta for a 14.5 oz box of Barilla Plus Penne. Then, I divided the 1470 calories (for the box of dry) by 8 to get the calories per cup of cooked. Next, I entered the cooked pasta for this item in My Foods on MyFitnessPal, so I can always know what it is for that product. I will do this for every pasta variety I use, until My Foods list has all the ones I use. End of problem. I put the other four cups in the refrigerator for another use. Being a fan of pastas as a side dish, I'll have no trouble using it up.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh doh! Slap my head!
    No wonder I was looking at my cooked 2 oz and feeling deprived!! I have trying not to pasta because, well...2 oz. cooked isn't a lot!

I do tend to use a separate pot for me; makes it easier. I can be more accurate that way--until I've been doing it for years.
  • iseeu1939
    iseeu1939 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just cooked 2 1/2 ounces of Barilla Whole Wheat Spaghetti and after it was cooked, it measured 1 1/2 cups. This is a great amount when cooking for one -- the end result of my spaghetti and sauce was 2 cups of spaghetti with sauce (no meat).
    Came out making 2 servings of 1 cup each.
    This was a big help and very easy to weigh the dry spaghetti. Thanks
  • CeciBacca
    Options
    Here is the answer you were looking for originally:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-spaghetti-whole-wheat-cooked-i20125

140 g = 5oz
  • cbbutler13
    cbbutler13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that 2 oz of dry pasta weighs ~4-5 oz after cooking.
  • notae5
    notae5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a crazy late bump but would the weights vary significantly between say a regular barilla thin spaghetti and a barilla thin spaghetti plus?
  • CLP102472
    CLP102472 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I checked Ronzoni website :wink: and this is what they say :wink:

Nutritional
    Q: Is the serving size cooked or uncooked for the nutritional information?
    A: All of our nutritional information is based on an uncooked measurement since some pastas will double or even triple in volume.
    - See more at: http://ronzonihealthyharvest.newworldpasta.com/pasta_faqs.cfm?catCode=nutritional#sthash.KtVdO1kJ.dpuf
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Bump