Anyone else lose weight with slim fast?

Options

Replies

• wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    I lost about 60 pounds with Slim Fast a couple years ago (no, I did not keep it off). I liked the taste and never got sick of them, but I just stopped doing it. Now I try to stay away from processed foods so I am not using any meal replacements. Good thing about SF is that you don't have to think about food all the time. You just grab a shake and go. Great for busy people or those dealing with food obsession, also has a lot of vitamins if like me, you aren't great about taking a multi every day.

this is me exactly. Lost 60 lbs on slim fast did not keep it off, but not because of anything to do with slim fast, just me. I used to drink the one you mixed with water but can't find it anymore.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I was on their program back in 2008-2009 and had lost 82#. I left SF when they changed to the 3.2.1 program. I hated it! They did such a turn around on all they had taught with the Optima program. I lost all faith in SF. Another SF member told me to come over to MFP, I did and have never gone back. One thing that was a challenge for me was making choices on my own. SF gave you so much structure and I needed that to lose the weight, but for maintenance I also needed to learn to do this on my own. I started weening myself before coming here. I love the support here! I still log my food and exercise daily to keep Me accountable to Me. I still buy their meal bars, but I don't rely on just those. I've learned to be creative over the years. I knew when I started this journey in Jan. 2008 that it was for life. SF gave me some very good tools back then and the dieticians were wonderful. It's too bad they made so many drastic changes, but in doing so it forced me to rely on my own judgement and it's still working!
  • ChemHate
    Options
    Actually, Slim Fast is what STARTED my initial weight-loss totally by accident. I got braces and a pallet expander during my junior year of high school, and eating solids suddenly became disgusting and painful - I got on Slim Fast simply as a way to avoid all that, and suddenly I had lost 25 pounds. I'm off it since I lost my braces, but I still diet and exercise to try to keep up what was started then.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to drink slim fast all the time. I quit because of the high fructose corn syrup. I am now limiting my sugar intake with trivia sweetener and eating more natural foods.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes...it worked- temporarily it worked fast and was effective but unless I continued to take it the weight came right back....and then some sorry to give you bad news.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Hmm Looking at the nutrition label:

Glorified sugary milkshake. Yea that beats real food by a mile!
    It works because it reduces your calories, it is not some heaven in a bottle that melts the pounds away. Real, filling, and nutrition food si a much better option.
  • christ4life63
    christ4life63 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Slime Fast, I would drink the brand from Costco.. It works good for me, and I would also watch what i eat as well.. I want to get back on that drink and I love the taste as well :):flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to suggest that you lost weight BECAUSE of the slim fast?

No, you lost weight because you were eating at a calorie deficit. Replace the slim fast calories with essentially anything else and your success will continue.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in a slim fast shake?

Edit: 180 calories for one shake? Instead: 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites + 2 pieces low calorie toast; Greek yogurt and fruit; Chicken breast and green beans; Turkey burger and salsa; carrots and hummus and six slices deli meat; english muffin and laughing cow cheese; etc. etc. etc.

There are many many options that have a similar calorie count and more nutritional value. And honestly once you get in the habit, they are just as easy to make/prepare/pack with you for breakfast and lunch. I take breakfast, lunch and two snacks in a lunch box to work nearly every day.

P.S. Probably cheaper than slim fast too.....use the money to buy a new outfit :)

Edit #2: A new outfit to celebrate the weight loss, not because your current outfit is bad. When I re-read that, it sounded a little wrong.
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    Theres no doubt that you can eat better foods for the same amount of calories or less. But for me I was on the go all the time and slim fast was really convenient and made it easy to lose weight. It is not for everyone, but it does work.
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I just eat a whole lot less. I used to think I could eat 3000-4000 calories per day. When I saw calorie charts based on average of 2000 calories per day I always assumed that was for very thin people. As a former (I love the sound of that) 300 lb. man, I now realize that I am a 2000 calorie per day person unless I want to gain my weight back (13 pounds so far). Joining MFP has been a huge benefit as it has shown me how few calories I can actually eat and remain healthy. The biggest change I have made however is that I know that if I eat calorie dense food in one meal I have to compensate with a lighter meal at another time of add exercise. I've always ignored the chemistry despite being a chemist...ironic huh?
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    tried it but by the afternoon I was starving! :ohwell:
  • Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love a Slimfast for breakfast sometimes, or as a sugar/protein kick before a workout. I specifically like blending the powder with milk and ice, so it's a thick high volume shake that actually fills me up and is nice and cold. It IS a lot of sugar so if you're diabetic I'm not going to recommend it, and don't forget to eat real food! But if you want to have have one a day how could it hurt? Just watch your sugar and don't think it's a substitute for vegetables, even if they do add vitamins.
  • jenniakers
    Options
    I love the shakes, and will occasionally use them for a breakfast or lunch. My problem with them is that they are full of sugar! I'm almost maxed out for the day with just the one meal. I would like to find a good substitute with less sugar...
  • etsdolls
    etsdolls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink slim fast but I make a fruit smoothie, usually a banana & apple and then add the slim fast to it, it is less then 200 calories. Use ice and water no milk. tastes good plus it's filling. I also eat a lot of fruit, vegatables and fish and chicken. You have to eat healthy to lose weight. I keep a food diary it really keeps me on track. You can substitute any kind of fruit you want, I put in the apple for fiber.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I've never had success with Slim Fast but I think my thing is that I have to chew my food. Sounds crazy but, yeah.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Slim fast shakes don't fill me up. If I want drink a meal on the go, I make a strawberry banana protein smoothie.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i would use protein shakes instead. start with Target Market Pantry chocolate protein, by the pharmacy, it is inexpensive and when mixed with milk tastes like chocolate milk. other than that, i would lower sugar/carbs 100 or less will do well, and not too restrictive. up protein. shoot for 100 g a day. that will help you stay full. shoot for 1600 to 1700 cal a day. Should lose weight pretty painlessly that way. that is in essence what i am doing about 80-90% of the time and i am steadily losing fat. Dan has good info. Look at his profile for some information, if you are interested. 'Helloitsdan' is his profile name. he helped me learn how much to eat to lose. i got out of a plateau by using and sticking with his info. Good luck and good job on starting your path to better health.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    slimfast is a meal replacement. Meal Replacements happen to be the only confirmed effective method of weight loss by the FDA. The problem with it is it is not filling at all and is somewhat low in protein but yes it can work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!