Plane Seats

Options
My family and I are going on vacation this summer and we have decided to fly. Does anyone know a "weight limit" or such as far as seats go? Looking at different airlines and I'm not finding anything, other than if you can't fit you have to buy another seat. I'm pretty sure I can squuuueeeezzzeee in, but then again, will the belt buckle? Do they determine such at the gate or do you get humiliated on the plane? If it wasn't so far away, we'd drive!

Replies

• VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My family and I are going on vacation this summer and we have decided to fly. Does anyone know a "weight limit" or such as far as seats go? Looking at different airlines and I'm not finding anything, other than if you can't fit you have to buy another seat. I'm pretty sure I can squuuueeeezzzeee in, but then again, will the belt buckle? Do they determine such at the gate or do you get humiliated on the plane? If it wasn't so far away, we'd drive!

I'm quite a large woman, and when hubby and I went on our honeymoon two years ago, I fit in the seats. Two years ago I was at my highest weight ever, and still managed to fit in the seat and buckle the belt. I'll PM you my weight so that you have a point of reference.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    I don't think that they set a weight limit because it could be different on a 5 ft frame vs a 6 ft frame (just as an example).

My husband and I had the same worries when we traveled last year. In July we flew American Airlines. I am 5'2", about 240 lbs at the time, a size 20/22. My husband is 6'4" and about 330 lbs size 44/46. We fit fine in the seats and seatbelts, but I think it would have been very uncomfortable if we had to keep the armrest down.

I hope this helps. :blushing:
  • upwego
    upwego Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I know it's silly to worry over such things, but I'm very sensitive about my weight and although I'm on the path to being healthy, I have a long way to go! I was just hoping if I was asked about it, that it would be discrete and not announced to the whole plane!
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    upwego message me about the seats, depends which airline you fly. One I bought 2 seats
  • martind53
    Options
    If the belt does not reach just ask the flight attendant for an extension. Not a problem, all the airlines carry them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    As noted above, there aren't weight limits and they do have seat belt extenders. You can try to fly first class (the seats are much, much larger) or book early and try to get in bulkhead seat (although these are typically reserved for the frequent flyers). If all that fails, try to sit in the aisle. The aisle side armrest often folds up and you will be more comfortable after they turn off the fasten seat belts sign.

Southwest is the only airline that I know of that may require you to buy a second seat if you can't fit in your own.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you are flying on a normal sized plane and not like the little 12 passenger Sesnas ... there is no weight limit, and for airlines in America standard seat width is generally about 17 inches wide from armrest to armrest... I recently looked this up for a vacation I just got back from and was concerned about, but I fit just fine... 1 taped 2 pieces of paper together... made a marker on where 17 inches was... then put it on the table and sat on it to make sure I would fit in that space... I've fortunately never had to get a seat belt extender but I would assume you could buy them online ahead of time if you are worried about it so that you would not have to be embarrassed to ask a flight attendant for one... Good luck!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    when you get on the plane just show the flight attendant your ticket and tell her that you will need a belt extender. i've done this and it's no muss, no fuss. they're very discreet about it.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    when you get on the plane just show the flight attendant your ticket and tell her that you will need a belt extender. i've done this and it's no muss, no fuss. they're very discreet about it.

Except when they don't have a seat belt extender on the plane and they have to go get one off a plane at another gate. Happened to me once and held the flight up for about 5 minutes. Of course, they didn't announce it or anything, but still...

As for fitting in the seats, if you're sitting next to a stranger the general rule is you have to be able to put the armrest down between the two of you; if you're sitting with someone who knows you and doesn't mind sharing that space it's a moot point. And some airlines are better than others; I found United generally had slightly roomier seats, Continental was a sardine can. Probably depends on the route, too, though.