Help Please! W2?

Options
Hello,

I just got my W2 in the mail. I have never done taxes before. I don't know anything about taxes or how it works. If somebody could explain to me as simple as possible?

Thanks!
-Kayla

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Sign up for H&R block, they make it really simple and it's free. It was my first time doing taxes this year too, and it was super easy. And more reliable than people trying to give you non-professional advice on the Internets. Good luck!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    turbotax.com
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If your folks can still claim you as a dependent, so them a favor and give it to them.

Otherwise, go to H&R Block and get their free, simple tax service.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can go to the IRS website and download a 1040 EZ. This form will let you write down the information from that W2. If that is all you have as far as income, you should be able to complete the form and submit it for a potential refund. The are free services that will file for you (and often free if you are just an EZ filer).

Resources:
    IRS.gov
    Turbotax.com
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you've only had the one job and don't need to itemize all you have to do is download the 1040EZ form and follow the simple instructions. You'll find the info it asks for in the boxes of your W-2. When you're done have your mom, dad, or someone who knows a little about taxes check it over for you...
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the adult world. This is what you need to know about taxes!

uncle_sam_i_want_your_money_mousepad-p144067663587145755z8xsj_400.jpg
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    I work for H & R Block. If you have only that 1 W-2 and no dependents (children), any of our offices will file your federal return for FREE. All you will have to do is go to your local H & R Block office with a photo id, social security card and your W-2. Let them know it is your first time every filing taxes and they will talk you through it all. You may have to wait to be seen but it is usually about a 15 minute process once the tax preparer takes you to their area. Hope this helps you!
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    www.taxactonline.com - they will walk you through the whole thing, you just answer their questions, and the federal efile is free. State I believe there is a small charge, but you should be able to go on your state's site and efile for free there, once you have your completed federal form in front of you.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    If I were you, I'd stick to the 1040EZ....much lower in calories and sodlum than the supersized 1040. :bigsmile:
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Asking for tax help in these forums is like asking H&R Block for a diet plan.

For your own sake, since you are young and have never done this before, get some actual help. Getting your taxes done should be easy and cheap for you since it is a very simple form. Next year you will be able to do them yourself if you pay close attention.

Plus your W2 only has 4g of fiber, the rest is pure sugar and isn't part of your diet plan.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

For your own sake, since you are young and have never done this before, get some actual help. Getting your taxes done should be easy and cheap for you since it is a very simple form. Next year you will be able to do them yourself if you pay close attention.

Plus your W2 only has 4g of fiber, the rest is pure sugar and isn't part of your diet plan.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Don't pay em... Just change your name, move a lot and don't kill people.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    For a simple W2, I would do it online HRBLOCK.com. It will probably be free.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Sign up for H&R block, they make it really simple and it's free. It was my first time doing taxes this year too, and it was super easy. And more reliable than people trying to give you non-professional advice on the Internets. Good luck!

This!
  • siouxperwoman
    Options

OH MY GOSH! This is a forum for diet plans? I thought I clicked on the topic of "chit-chat, fun, and games".
    And thank you SO much for this helpful information. I had no clue that THESE people on the diet forums aren't capable of providing me with basic information about taxes, seeing as how I have no clue what a W2 even is.

WOOFTA. Saved my life. :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I've used turbotax for years. super simple.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    OH MY GOSH! This is a forum for diet plans? I thought I clicked on the topic of "chit-chat, fun, and games".
    And thank you SO much for this helpful information. I had no clue that THESE people on the diet forums aren't capable of providing me with basic information about taxes, seeing as how I have no clue what a W2 even is.

wayne-brady-demotivational-poster-1207024838.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

1. Calm down.

2. Can you ask your parents or someone close to you for some tips? Individual taxes are very easy even if you have educational expenses. Sign up for H&R block individual tax return on the website. You can likely file for free unless you make a lot of money. It will walk you through it.

3. It's really not hard, so don't get all worked up.
  • siouxperwoman
    Options

1. Calm down.

2. Can you ask your parents or someone close to you for some tips? Individual taxes are very easy even if you have educational expenses. Sign up for H&R block individual tax return on the website. You can likely file for free unless you make a lot of money. It will walk you through it.

1. I don't like it when people post on a topic, just to be mean. Not cool.

2. I don't have parents or any other "elders" that I am able to confide in. If I did, I wouldn't be asking strangers.

3. And I wasn't looking for "how to" fill out taxes, I wanted to know ABOUT taxes. What is a W2? Do I have to file taxes? How do I tell by looking at the W2 if I have to file taxes? Why does the government take money and then give it back to me? I thought that money was for repairing roads and such?
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

1. Calm down.

1. I don't like it when people post on a topic, just to be mean. Not cool.

2. I don't have parents or any other "elders" that I am able to confide in. If I did, I wouldn't be asking strangers.

3. And I wasn't looking for "how to" fill out taxes, I wanted to know ABOUT taxes. What is a W2? Do I have to file taxes? How do I tell by looking at the W2 if I have to file taxes? Why does the government take money and then give it back to me? I thought that money was for repairing roads and such?

Yes the Government does take and use your money for those things but it is decided how much you should pay the government by how much money you make. You pay less when you have kids and are married. I take it that you have no children or spouse that you will be claiming on your taxes so you will be paying the high end.

Everyone who earns more than (I think) $5,000 per year must file taxes. I'm not 100% sure that it the amount, you would have to check with a tax expert to find out. If you made more than that amount you must file taxes.

If you paid the government more than you have to (determined by how much you make and what kind of credits you are allowed to claim such as student loan interest) then you will get a refund. If you did not pay quite enough then then you will owe them.

The W2 form shows how much money you made for the year and how much you paid in taxes and social security etc. Eveyone who suggested H&R block as your best option for filing has the right idea since you're a first time filer. They will painlessly make sure it's done correctly so you can hopefully avoid being audited.
    Hope this helped.